BIG ass head phones, yay or ney?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #1
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker
DoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710
BIG ass head phones, yay or ney?

In the UK, for some reason it has become socially acceptable to wear big DJ head phones.

Is this ok or not? I mean, really?

Advertisements

DoomBrain is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 108300
Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,390 Posts
Re: BIG ass head phones, yay or ney?

No you look like a douche. Leave the big headphones at home.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
lolirl (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

It's a trend here too, especially with 13-15 yr olds, lol.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
conjureclub
Minor Glitch
conjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to behold
Dallas
MC Status: 860

I'm pretty sure it's a millennial thing and mostly about the look for the most part.

I am currently a proud Airpod owner.
conjureclub is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #5
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184560
Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,751 Posts

Funny how the immature always think big is better..but when they get older they change their minds.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

To be honest, I prefer headphones over ear buds. Most of the ones I see people wearing are now wireless.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #7
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21310

I wore big headphones in college, but I'm not allowed to do that at work, so it's back to earbuds for me on the go. Looking into nicer IEMs if I can get used to putting something in my ear again. Wireless is just yucky.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #8
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943831
Thanked 5,713 Times in 3,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
To be honest, I prefer headphones over ear buds. Most of the ones I see people wearing are now wireless.
Most ear buds hurt my ears, even the rubber ones, after a short period of time.

It's them darn kids wearing those beats by dre smoking the wine and drinking the tweeds

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
lolirl (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #9
conjureclub
Minor Glitch
conjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to beholdconjureclub is a splendid one to behold
Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
Wireless is just yucky.
I'm not here to sell apple by any means, but I will say Airpods are unlike any headphones I've owned before. Seamless transitions and a nifty charging/carrying case that extends the battery far beyond my needs. As far as wired go, Bose have some of the best in ear imo and are more comfortable than others. You can normally find deals on the older models too.
conjureclub is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #10
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19560

Do you just mean over-ear, or what are you talking about?
I only do over-ear because earbuds hurt, and give you a higher chance of getting an ear infection (plus sharing them with other people is fucking gross)

I just see everyone with Beats if they don't know good headphones, or Sennheiser if they do know decent headphones.
9/10 times I see people wearing those douchey Beats by Dre.
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #11
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031591
Thanked 7,283 Times in 4,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjureclub View Post
Bose have some of the best in ear imo and are more comfortable than others.
I saw Lewis Hamilton rocking those at the Monaco race. I bet they're a good compromise between regular buds and large headphone sound quality. 160 a pair though.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #12
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker
DoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

Interesting thoughts.

I was looking at the beats head phones in Tesco yesterday (store) and thought the build quality was of a high standard. The metal frame was strong and the ear phones were plush and soft. The sound quality although fair was not fantastic, certainly not for 85.

But it is about the image I guess, another celeb who wears them is Anthony Joshua.

I think certain people may pull it off if worn in the street with the correct clothing, but when I put them on in Tesco I looked like a complete twat.
DoomBrain is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DoomBrain
A.M (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #13
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541480
Thanked 7,011 Times in 4,983 Posts

I honestly dont care what people think. I use my AKG240s in public. So comfy and dont fatigue my ears like most others.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:09 PM   #14
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69887369

I must be getting old, I don't do headphones in public any more. When I did, it was always either the 80s Walkman style over-ears (from the 1 shop), or the ones that come bundled with mobile phones that last approximately 8 in-pocket interactions with keys.

I'm not twatty enough to wear my dt770s outside, and they're 250ohm anyway, so everything would sound like shit.

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to brb
A.M (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 10:17 PM   #15
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184560
Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
I must be getting old, I don't do headphones in public any more. When I did, it was always either the 80s Walkman style over-ears (from the 1 shop), or the ones that come bundled with mobile phones that last approximately 8 in-pocket interactions with keys.

I'm not twatty enough to wear my dt770s outside, and they're 250ohm anyway, so everything would sound like shit.

Ditto to all of the above..except for the bit about dt770s..in my case it's my ATH-M50s/LE (now discontinued)

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:03 PM   #16
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52410
Thanked 1,048 Times in 773 Posts

I don't know. I guess these days anything goes. There's the hipster element: I'm really into audio and will only listen to FLAC via my portable custom headphone amp on Grado planar electrostatic phones when I listen to music. The Dr Dre crowd is just sad. Nope, you're not a DJ.

When it comes to outside of home, portability is nice and noise isolation key. I take quiet solace in the fact that listening to my iPhone on Shure 846 IEMs with custom silicone ear molds provides me with outstanding noise isolation, rich deep bass, and all the sort of detail I can hear.

So, no, over the ear headphones don't belong outside.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:38 PM   #17
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21310

I've heard good things about the hifiman re-400 (around $100), I might pick up a pair of those when the ones that came with my new phone wear out. I haven't even tried them yet, maybe I won't hate them as much as I expect....

Just tried them, first time in 5 years and now I'm more glad than ever I use full size headphones. I think I'll just save my ears at work for my studio time at home.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #18
Failsafe
Granular Poster
Failsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to behold

I much prefer on-ears as I have tiny ears and hate sticking earbuds in them, plus I prefer the sound quality and the comfort. But there seems to be more and more on-ear headphones made by fashion companies rather than music tech companies and that just seems ridiculous to me. I would guess that beats started it all, people buying headphones based on celebrity endorsement.
Failsafe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #19
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237429

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I honestly dont care what people think. I use my AKG240s in public. So comfy and dont fatigue my ears like most others.
Yeah, basically this. Don't see any problem with it, either.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:17 PM   #20
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837677

Maybe Im old and judgemental.
Youngsters - WETF doesn't really matter.
Older hipsters - just dont wear your Big Hear Honky's whilst walking down the street in a suit with trainers, with your bear belly and the remains of baby sick down your shoulder...just doesn't work.

Personally work in buds. Home in ear and 880Pros. Djing/mixing Senhesisers - the fluffy stuff gets too sweatay!

Advertisements

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote