Which DAW to choose? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:12 AM   #21
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 30460
Re: Which DAW to choose?

So you can't rewire live into mixbus?
I am guessing you are talking about busses, or sub mixes when you are talking about a track for all your drums?
Using groups in live seems to do basically that for me at least.

Advertisements

jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:16 AM   #22
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7610

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
So you can't rewire live into mixbus?
I am guessing you are talking about busses, or sub mixes when you are talking about a track for all your drums?
Using groups in live seems to do basically that for me at least.
The way mixbus is set up is with n number of "input channels" (tracks) and 8 (unless you get mixbus 32) mix buses, and of course one master.

The workflow is intended to progress on the board left to right, progressively 'filtering' the sets at the previous stage to a smaller set at the next stage.

It's different than Ableton's groups in the way things are handled.
It's about the routing and layout.
In Ableton we can make a "mix bus" of a sort by grouping, true, but it's rather different when the board itself is built from square one on up assuming that workflow and it definitely forces you to stop and think about your soundspace more.

You can accomplish the same basics in Ableton, except for two things: environment, and the Harrison sound.
The Harrison board sound is subjective - some may not like it; others will.
The environment, to me, is the real kick and reason.

It's just a real nice set up and, for me at least, it makes organizing and distilling the song down in the final mix and master stage much nicer.

Here's Harrison's way of putting it:
"Console-like signal flow
Most DAWs allow the user to create tracks and buses, but the user is expected to assemble the tracks and
buses into a sensible signal flow. To do this, you create one or more buses as-needed, and then assign the
track output(s) to the bus inputs. If you later realize that you want another track assigned to that bus, you’ll
have to make that connection; and at the end of the day you might have lots of nearly-invisible and
arbitrarily-ordered connections all over the place!
Mixbus provides a fixed signal flow, modeled after an analog console. You don’t have to “choose” how many
buses you will need, or where they are assigned. This provides several benefits. The bus assignments/
sends are displayed in a fixed order, so you can quickly determine what channels are feeding the reverb
bus, for example. Additionally, the assignment and/or send-level to a bus can be automated."

As to the rewiring right in: not that I've found so far.

Cheers!
TheStumps

Last edited by TheStumps; 12-12-2017 at 05:37 AM..

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheStumps
jbvdb493 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #23
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4860

Ardour, right? Apart from the specific sound, what reason for Harrison Mixbus in particular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStumps View Post
You can accomplish the same basics in Ableton, except for two things: environment, and the Harrison sound.
The Harrison board sound is subjective - some may not like it; others will.
The environment, to me, is the real kick and reason.

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #24
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesn View Post
Ardour, right? Apart from the specific sound, what reason for Harrison Mixbus in particular?
So far: Just the work flow and feel of it.

However, I need to play with it more because there's lots I haven't touched.
For example: there's this layering on one track thing the editor does - pretty interesting idea, but I haven't used it. Something to do with being able to lay multiple tracks over each other and even play them at once off one track - intended for redubbing in.

Mostly for me I just wanted a classic board at a good price. Mixbus has both.
And the Harrison sound is pretty compelling.
Though, I haven't tried Ardour in comparison.

Have you?

Cheers!
TheStumps

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #25
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269470558
Thanked 2,939 Times in 1,947 Posts

At which point did this turn into a serious thread?

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #26
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 109400
Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,403 Posts

Yeah that is odd - usually they go the other direction.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
candlesayshi (13-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #27
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4860

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStumps View Post
Though, I haven't tried Ardour in comparison.
Have you?
No. Have been with Logic too long, and X seems to have gone enough in the right direction for me. Ardour seems too audio-oriented for my composing/MIDI needs. I'd probably try midi-clips in session-view Live before anything else (I know, probably a masochistic idea).

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #28
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesn View Post
No. Have been with Logic too long, and X seems to have gone enough in the right direction for me. Ardour seems too audio-oriented for my composing/MIDI needs. I'd probably try midi-clips in session-view Live before anything else (I know, probably a masochistic idea).
It's definitely audio-oriented, but that's what I was looking for.
Currently when I do the final mix or master, I flip to session view, slap a spectrum on the master, make it consume the entire screen and hit play because when I'm at this stage I don't like being distracted with all the visual side of things; I just want to use my ears without distraction.
The frustrating part is that if I want to adjust something, I have to drop the spectrum, flip back to arrangement view, make my minor adjustment, queue back, flip back to session view, flip the spectrum back up and hit play.

In Mixbus (or Ardour), I just have a bored in front of me and that's it, so I can make my adjustments and keep going without worrying about visual distractions.

It has an arrangement editor, but honestly I was a tad disappointed to see that it does when I opened it, but that's just because I have no interest in that part at all for my purposes. For song writing, I'm quite happy with Ableton, and I've never found a better writing software when you're 99% exclusively midi writing your songs.

So my future plan, if Mixbus turns out nice once I get some more time to spend learning my way around and dusting off the cobwebs from my old analogue board days at the local radio station, is to write in Ableton and master in Mixbus.

I don't think most folks are like this though; wanting less visual input and more auditory focus and only nobs to turn.

Cheers!
TheStumps

------------------
Old 15-12-2017, 01:25 PM   #29
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 22160

If you are making electronic music and you plan to buy vsts or external synths I really don't think it matters. It is literally which ever is easier for you.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 03:25 AM   #30
Vault O)))
Dumb jerk
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 47660

As an outsider to FL Studio, I thought the same exact thing when I tried to get into it. Routing / mixing with that shit is about as absurd as anything could ever get. Every DAW has its quirks, but I couldn't imagine getting used to that shit and trying to transfer your skills to other mixing environments.

Everything else is more straightforward, which makes me wonder why so many people use it. I know there's a reason, but I'm confused (a deficit on my part, probably).

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #31
batmanforever
IDMf's latest spammer
batmanforever will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Check out Cubase 9.5 - UDEMY has a course on it at the moment.
head over to udemy and type in cubase 9.5 it's the first and Only one in the list.
Create a dance track from scratch. helped me a lot! You can see it in the making and if you like it buy the DAW then.
batmanforever is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #32
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 27110

i know this is an old thread.. but I'm pretty offended by it..

I don't need a stupid article to tell me which DAW to use. The answer will always be DUBTURBO

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
Vault O))) (17-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 12:04 AM   #33
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

Cakewalk for life!

.........too soon? you Gibson
Old 04-02-2018, 02:23 AM   #34
Artificer
Ghostly
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 35010

SoundTracker or GTFO.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
A.M (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 02:39 AM   #35
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 190260
Thanked 3,805 Times in 2,832 Posts

I'm surprised none of you have mentioned Garageband..everyone is talking about it.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:48 AM   #36
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 58410
Thanked 1,168 Times in 859 Posts

N-Track studio. Be different for no good reason at all.
In fact, program your own DAW. It will grow with your abilities.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:19 AM   #37
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 27110

you guys still aren't convinced?? :eyeroll:

/thread

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #38
Vault O)))
Dumb jerk
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 47660

I that Dr. Drum's cousin?

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
mnkvolcno (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #39
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10533301

I love Logic and used it for 10 years, i have just jumped ship to Ableton Live v10 yesterday and struggling but I'm sure i'll learn its way soon.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #40
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I love Logic and used it for 10 years, i have just jumped ship to Ableton Live v10 yesterday and struggling but I'm sure i'll learn its way soon.
Live is super easy, coming from reason, and learning studio one now, live is by far the most intuitive, although it has some frustrating aspects as well.

That triangle at the bottom left tells you what everything is when you hover the mouse over anything. Very helpful.

Advertisements