How to get FL keys to sound like a real grand piano?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 14-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #1
NOOTHABEATS
Regular Freak
NOOTHABEATS will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
How to get FL keys to sound like a real grand piano?

The FL keys piano sucks so badly anyone have any insight on how to make it sound better it would be much appreciated!

Advertisements

NOOTHABEATS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
GabrielRamos
Microknight
GabrielRamos is a jewel in the roughGabrielRamos is a jewel in the roughGabrielRamos is a jewel in the roughGabrielRamos is a jewel in the rough
UK, Bournemouth
MC Status: 310
Re: how to get FL keys to sound like a real grand piano?

Get a third-party plugin unless you want to waste all your time trying to make the FL one sound good. There are plenty of free VSTs with really good piano presets, you just have to find them.

But if you DO want to carry on with the FL Keys, you can always try putting a reverb on it with a large decay, always works when I try and make my piano sound good

------------------
- - - - Soundcloud - - - -

Unregistered should definitely check this track out and press [ ♥ ] & [ ↻ ] on Soundcloud
GabrielRamos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
Verbee
Learning The Ropes
Verbee will become famous soon enoughVerbee will become famous soon enough
Baltimore
MC Status: 110

I'm not familiar with FL but I'm sure that some reverb and a really subtle delay could definitely help.
Verbee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #4
NOOTHABEATS
Regular Freak
NOOTHABEATS will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielRamos View Post
Get a third-party plugin unless you want to waste all your time trying to make the FL one sound good. There are plenty of free VSTs with really good piano presets, you just have to find them.

But if you DO want to carry on with the FL Keys, you can always try putting a reverb on it with a large decay, always works when I try and make my piano sound good
Do you know any free ones i can DL?
NOOTHABEATS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
saneliv
Knob Twiddler
saneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2760
Re: How to get FL keys to sound like a real grand piano?

Don't know if FL supports soundfonts, but when soundfonts first came out, there were a couple of free piano ones that worked really well for me. One was a Steinway. If you hate experimenting with your $ then I would try that route first.

I think the best VSTs I've heard were by Native Instruments...
saneliv is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
GabrielRamos
Microknight
GabrielRamos is a jewel in the roughGabrielRamos is a jewel in the roughGabrielRamos is a jewel in the roughGabrielRamos is a jewel in the rough
UK, Bournemouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOOTHABEATS View Post
Do you know any free ones i can DL?
You can find lots of them at KVR ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
)
If you can't find a piano then I'm pretty sure you'll find some synthesizers and they should have some piano presets too.

------------------

Unregistered should definitely check this track out and press [ ♥ ] & [ ↻ ] on Soundcloud
Old 14-08-2015, 03:40 PM   #7
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

This one isn't perfect by any means, but I have used a vst called String Theory by UGO, the second preset which is a pluck sound and tweak that one to my needs for TONS of stuff I do with a piano sound. It's a bit fake sounding but it's actually got a nice timbre to it that I haven't been able to recreate elsewhere.

ere it is in one of my tunes (very beginning)

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
rewir3d (19-08-2015)
Old 14-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #8
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20010

look for piano soundfonts there is literally loads of decent free ones around.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #9
UpSides
Granular Poster
UpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

You could upgrade to FL 12 for free and get new Grand Pianos in Directwave format. If you don't own Directwave the player will work for the sounds. There is a Close Grand and a Stage Grand included. If you download the 12.1 beta also (just install it and move the Directwave Grand Piano and uninstall it, or someone on the forum has posted it somewhere for download). The Steinway Grand (12.1 beta Grand Piano) was replaced with those two new ones in the final. I'm not sure why because the Steinway Grand is very nice as well.

I'm gradually moving to FL 12, and I've discovered that you could actually learn it by just watching the Image Line what's new in FL 12 videos (beginning at the first beta). The new changes don't make too many changes to the old workflow if you really look at them. They just shortcut some things you were doing already.

Last edited by UpSides; 15-08-2015 at 07:41 PM..
UpSides is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: 2
Old 17-08-2015, 12:05 AM   #10
UpSides
Granular Poster
UpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to beholdUpSides is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

I have to add another one if you just wanted to use FL Keys. FL Keys is just a sample player that uses the wti format for packaging. You can get the wti maker to convert your samples in a free download from the Image Line forums. There are good free grand piano sample packs online. The University of Iowa IIRC has very good piano samples as well as some other instruments. There are a couple at a project called freepats IIRC as well.
UpSides is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 04:38 PM   #11
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

I never liked the FL Keys piano. You could so smth with the rhodes or epiano or whatever it was it had but the piano... much hassle.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 11:23 PM   #12
saneliv
Knob Twiddler
saneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the old Bosendorfer VST from a million years ago but it still sounds pretty good IMHO..
Old 19-08-2015, 01:14 AM   #13
GabrielRamos
Microknight
UK, Bournemouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by saneliv View Post
Here is the old Bosendorfer VST from a million years ago but it still sounds pretty good IMHO..
Now THAT sounds like a proper classic, really good on the ears

I agree, still sounds good.

------------------

Thanks to GabrielRamos
saneliv (20-08-2015)
Old 19-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #14
rewir3d
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3063969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
This one isn't perfect by any means, but I have used a vst called String Theory by UGO
Holy Shit! This post just took me back a decade. I haven't used 'String Theory' in ages but I remember I quite like the sound! In fact UGO had a few more freebies if I remember right that I fucking loved. I can even picture a couple of early tracks using them
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to rewir3d
Numerical (19-08-2015)
Old 19-08-2015, 08:31 PM   #15
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

if you have a way to edit the piano sound, try increasing the sustain and release times. Almost every fake piano sound I ever heard was mostly attack and quick decay with hardly any sustain and release. The decay time should actually be pretty long yet sculpted. It's not perfectly linear nor logorithmic.

But I agree there are some better piano VST's out there.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 03:45 AM   #16
YoSoyPincho
Microknight
YoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud of
Medellin
MC Status: 1060

I'm also agree that there's definitely another better VST's for that matter, in fact i've heard that kontakt has some great realistic piano libraries in it, but if you're willing to continue with FL Keys i'd recommend the next setup:

Load up the Grand Piano on the sampleset of the FL Keys and work around this set up (Remember it's a personal opinion which i consider sounds the closest to a real one, you can play around with it at will)

ENVIRONMENT:
-Decay: Around 65%
-Release: 80%
-Pan: Off
-Stereo: Leave it as default.

MISC:
-Overdrive: 0%
-LPD: 0 Hz
-Treble: 60%
-Stretch: 0 cents.

VELOCITY:
-M. Vel: Set as default.
-Muffle:Set as default.
-H.Vel: 50%
-Hardness: 50%

TUNING:
-Tune:Leave as default
-Detune: 2.0
-Sensitivity:-60%
__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Note: Add a little bit of your preferential reverb and play around with the amount of wetness (I'd suggest the Fruity Reeverb 2)

Hope it was useful, good luck!

PD: Try to find another vst for realz...
YoSoyPincho is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #17
timbob3k
Minor Glitch
timbob3k has a spectacular aura abouttimbob3k has a spectacular aura abouttimbob3k has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I agree w reverb n delay

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
timbob3k is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #18
saneliv
Knob Twiddler

there was also the free Forefront Piano VST which had this really horrible distortion on the decay, but did load fast...
Old 27-09-2015, 03:46 AM   #19
Stereo16
Learning The Ropes
Stereo16 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

The 12.1 update comes with a pretty good one, just check out the what's new video.
Stereo16 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #20
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19860

nothing but a grand piano sounds like a grand piano my friend. If you want to emulate it just get a good piano sampler and add light reverb, but nothing but that thing can emulate that sound.

Advertisements

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote