[Breaks/Techno] Online Mixing Service version Vs. My version
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 04-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
modescmoesc
Analog Lurker
modescmoesc will become famous soon enough
Exeter
MC Status: 60
[Breaks/Techno] Online Mixing Service version Vs. My version

Hello All,

This track is another I started back in 2004. Never really finished… or posted anywhere.

I’ve posted two different versions of the track here. One has been mixed by an online mixing service which I’ve paid for. I don’t want to say which of the two versions has been mixed yet – makes it more fun, although I think it’s fairly obvious.

I also don’t want to name them just yet, as we’re still working on the track, but I will say his rates are very reasonable and he’s very flexible - he’s waiting for my suggestions for improvements on his first version. Anyway, I’m sure you’ll identify which is the mixed.

I guess really what I’m looking for is feedback on improvements you might make to his mix, and/or if there are elements of my original rough mix which should be kept.

Cheers.

Version A

Version B

Advertisements

------------------
EscModeMusic.com - Electronic & Computer Music Production

4001 - Squarepusher (EscMode Remix)
modescmoesc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Breaks/Techno] Online Mixing Service version Vs. My version.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
erik mitchell
Deep Underground
erik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 300691
Re: [Breaks/Techno] Online Mixing Service version Vs. My version

A is louder

I dunno the hats in parts sound a bit too loud and harsh to me?

------------------

Follow me: soundcloud - facebook
erik mitchell is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
modescmoesc
Analog Lurker
Exeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik mitchell View Post
A is louder
I dunno the hats in parts sound a bit too loud and harsh to me?
Totally gree on that point.... seems some of the effects have been pushed to far forward and screech out at times.

I thought I might get a bit more interest on this topic because of the opportunity to compare the work of professional online mixing service with the work of 'average Joe producer'.

So, just to save you time. Version A is the version from the online mixing service, and Version B is my original.

My other thoughts was the bottom end seems to dominate the whole mix... and the pads lack some clarity and presence when compared to my rough mix. Maybe an over use of compressions too on his mox?

Really hoping to receive some more feedback.... and sorry it involves you having to listen to a very average, and dated sounding track of mine twice

Thanks.

------------------

Old 05-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Complex
Complex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MC
Manchester of Finland
MC Status: 10657938

Version A has a tad too loud hats. I really like your beats, they are groovy. But I felt that this bpm is too slow to get me hooked enough. It would be more effective faster. I think there is room for more layers on the track, nevertheless it's a solid foundation for a killer track!
Complex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
modescmoesc
Analog Lurker
Exeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
Version A has a tad too loud hats. I really like your beats, they are groovy. But I felt that this bpm is too slow to get me hooked enough. It would be more effective faster.
Agreed again on the hats. But how about the snare - to me that doesn't cut through the mix. Also, does anyone else think the bottom end seems to dominate the whole mix... and the pads lack some clarity and presence when compared to my rough mix? Is there an over use of compressions on the mixed Version A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
I think there is room for more layers on the track, nevertheless it's a solid foundation for a killer track!
Thanks maan. I've posted 2 tracks on the Listening Booth so far - admittedly these are older songs - but seems I make ok backing tracks. Maybe I need a partner or a re-mixer to bring these up to date?? I'm 40 this year... so my influences are dated I guess...but even when I started this track back in 2004, I thought it sounded like it belonged back in the early 90's (that was my era)!!

------------------

Old 05-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
Complex
Complex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MCComplex is a savage MC
Manchester of Finland
MC Status: 10657938

There's nothing wrong to have "dated" influences. It defo has that 90s-retro-feel. I have also been fanboy to Orbital and such bands.
Complex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
modescmoesc
Analog Lurker
Exeter

Appreciate all the comments so far.

I need to send back suggestions for improvements to the engineer for his version (A) at the beginning of this post, and I'd like to know if you agree or strongly disagree with any of my thoughts for improving the mix?

Excuse some of the weird names I use to describe track parts.... he'll know what I'm talking about and should be clear to you guys as I've tried to be exact on where they drop in and out.

I'll post the name of the website here and the price I paid, once I've got the new mix back from him, and we're both happy.

Actually, I'll post the two versions again:

Version A ( this is the engineers version - the one the below suggestions apply to)

Version B ( my original version)

Ok, so here are my thoughts on improving Version A. The below is written ready to send to him...

The mid-high frequencies on the drum fx throughout the mix seem too prominent and sometimes harsh sounding and drown-out the volume of the other softer parts like the pads (maybe due to the compression used?). For example, the stutters at 0.40, 1.25, 1.46, 3:47, 6:46 and a few other places sound a bit harsh/loud. Can we reduce the level/intensity of these?

The lower end seems just a bit muddy and the bass seems to overlap frequency wise with the kick. Could you look at separating them frequency wise, just a little? Also making the kick sharper –but only by a smudge?

The main thing for me is the pads aren't bright enough... they seem too far back in the mix. Can you increase their presence through-out the track, and bring up their volume? Particularly at the beginning and where the’ higher pad’ comes in around 2:57. I’d like that pad to be more dominant.

Also the lead (my favorite part) that comes in at 2:20, can we make that more prominent and bring it in a little earlier/faster the 2nd time it comes in, around 5:20 as in the original mix?

The House chord at 1.50 is a little too loud and drowns out the spoken part in the background. Actually, the vocal/spoken parts in both breaks (1.50 & 3:49) aren’t quite loud enough. Is it possible to accentuate the levels of the vocal frequencies at those parts? I do really love how you accentuated the drop-in at 2:19 though. Brilliant!

Again, the ‘house chord’ at 6:20 is maybe too loud?

The snare, which I admit was probably the weakest element to start with, doesn't cut through the mix enough…. It doesn’t seem sharp enough - only on the breakdowns. While the hats (or ghost snares) seem too loud.

Generally some parts of the track seem to be much louder when some of the bass elements drop out – I’m not sure if that’s because of compression? For example, the break at 3:25 seems much louder than the rest of the track (due to over use of compression?). Also at part 4:35 - the ‘WarbleBird’ lead gets very loud, then drops right back into the background – it would be good to maintain a constant level for that part (WarbleBird’ lead).

Lastly, is it possible to speed the track up a little by 1-2 bpm without losing quality or bringing in any unwanted artifacts?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks people.... your feedback is very valuable. Like I say, I'll share the name of the online mixing service who did this for me after.

Cheers,

------------------

Old 07-12-2011, 02:26 AM   #8
modescmoesc
Analog Lurker
Exeter

If anyone is interested I posted the finished version on my site from this [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
I wasn't overly impressed - and also posted my own final mastered version so you can compare the two. It would be great to get your feedback though (click above link).

Cheers.
Patrick

------------------

Old 07-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
modescmoesc
Analog Lurker
Exeter

hmm... to save you having to visit my site, I'll let you know the company I used to mix and master the track was a company called E-Mixing Studio.

Advertisements

------------------

Currently Listening To: Plaid