Happy new year! (IDM track here)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 03-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
b_fnk
Knob Twiddler
b_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MC
Imaginationland
MC Status: 4595515
Happy new year! (IDM track here)

Happy new year to all, first of all! Wish you a fresh start if you need it and loads of success throughout 2012. This is the tune I've been working on for the last couple of days, wanted to hear any feedback, as usual. Hope you enjoy!

:ph34r:

Advertisements

------------------
b_fnk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - Happy new year! (IDM track here).
Old 04-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
b_fnk
Knob Twiddler
b_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MCb_fnk is a savage MC
Imaginationland
Re: Happy new year! (IDM track here)

Noone? At least tell me if you find the dequantized notes on some of the synths, I think it's on the verge of sounding cool or unprofessional, can't decide.

------------------
Old 04-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

That little once-off percussion @ 1:38...I like it. Don't know why but I found myself wondering if it's going to show itself again.

From 2:34 onwards - really great moody vibe going on.

There's a distorted effect at around 3:05 that throws what sounds like a few (very short) distorted artifacts to the left and right channels. Not sure if it's part of the mix or not?

That instrumental piece that starts at 4:39 - it sounds familiar; dammit it's on the tip of my tongue...?
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
b_fnk
Knob Twiddler
Imaginationland

Are you talking about the glitches?

------------------
Old 04-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Forget the one at 3:05. It also happens at almost exactly 2:57 where you've got those two distorted bass notes that do something like:

D# -------- D (what they actually are is not the point)

But just before that 2nd note, and as it hits there's a quick distorted sound in the right channel that sounds twice. It does do it again at around 3:05 but it's harder to pick out.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
b_fnk
Knob Twiddler
Imaginationland

Yes, after a few listens I came to the conclusion you're probably referring to the sounds coming from one of the Diversion synths, which is a metallic, sparkly (poppy even ) and glitchy sound, it could also be the other glitch effect, which is a string instrument sample, pitched up by 48st. Both have some randomness to it, as one has added beat repeater, the other constantly changes as well. I guess glitches are supposed to be artifacts, aren't they? Do you think it sounds bad or it works for the track? I thought it works for it, but I can see how it can sound bad as well from a different point of view... Unless of course you are referring to something I haven't picked up at all...

------------------
Old 05-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
theairwasthick
Soundwave Mangler
theairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MC
MC Status: 2869422

I want this to be FPS game music, A really dark one.

Bits and bats are giving an 'Alien Trilogy' vibe.

------------------
theairwasthick is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
scyn
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_fnk View Post
Do you think it sounds bad or it works for the track? I thought it works for it, but I can see how it can sound bad as well from a different point of view... Unless of course you are referring to something I haven't picked up at all...
No - doesn't sound bad; and it's hardly noticeable. I can grab that particular section of audio and slow it down so that it's easier to point out if you still want be 100% we're listening to the same thing.

I'm probably just being a bit pedantic anyway
Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
scyn
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
That instrumental piece that starts at 4:39 - it sounds familiar; dammit it's on the tip of my tongue...?
After a day of having that sound stuck in my head I finally got it! The instrumental starting at 4:36 sounds identical to the start of this:
Old 05-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
b_fnk
Knob Twiddler
Imaginationland

You're downright spot on! In the end of my tune you can hear the glitchy effect (which appears in a handful of places throughout the track) slowly getting back to normal (pitch down). I was initially going to do a remix of Enigma's track, but got nowhere so in the end just decided to use these notes in a creative way, so to speak... You got an A for paying attention!

------------------
Old 06-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #11
Chills
Deep Underground
Chills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MC
Boston
MC Status: 7998752

This track starts off really strong, and then I lose interest after some time. The percussion sounds great and is particularly well done. I really like those sounds and glitches. I'd like to know how you did them. I thought the instrumentals were a little repetitive though, and the melody wasn't that interesting imo. Nonetheless, this track sounds very good. It's definitely along the lines of what I like to listen to and make.

------------------
Chills is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #12
psilocyborg
Granular Poster
psilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MCpsilocyborg is a savage MC
MC Status: 4623837

I really dig the sounds in this. Plusses: the percussion is fat n punchy, the synths are spot on, nice subtle glitchy elements, the mix is great. But ultimately I feel like the composition needs a little work. Basically, the transitions are a little abrupt. No one part has much of a sense of leading to the next. It's just kinda like, 'oh here's this part now."

Your sound design kills though, gotta say.
psilocyborg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
b_fnk
Knob Twiddler
Imaginationland

Thank you for this feedback, I'll have to agree on the arrangement criticism, I didn't spend much time making it sound 'pro' and that's pretty obvious. It's a problem - as I get close to something nice I stop thinking on how to improve it and rush it. But I'm working on that with every next track. The glitches are mostly made of high-pitched sounds - for example the 1st FX you hear in the very beginning is a percussion loop, reversed and then pitched up by 48st, then I added beat repeater and grain delay, then played around with settings. I used various loops like this and that makes the glitches various too I suppose. The main beat was duplicated and the second one has flanger and 'drum electrifier'. And then a lot of sampling for extra sounds and some of the synths, + Diversion as a main soft synth and Fabfilter Volcano 2 as a main filter.

I consider this tune to be a step ahead in terms of my mixing skills at the moment, but not in terms of actual sound design from scratch, as a lot was sampling and usage of default Ableton FX, but I sure had a lot of fun making it and next time I will focus on a better arrangement. It needs to make more sense. Had I spent a whole week on it instead of 2-3 days it'd be a different story... but continuing to work on a single track for more than a few days is still a hassle.

Anyways, hope this helps clarify some of your questions and thanks for your feedback .

------------------
Old 07-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #14
Sincock
Master of the LFO
Sincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 23251782

The glitches are cool; great sounds; don't think there is any problem with the progression either, nothing wrong with abrupt changes. The whole track works for me.

------------------
Sincock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #15
theairwasthick
Soundwave Mangler
theairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MCtheairwasthick is a savage MC
MC Status: 2869422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincock View Post
The glitches are cool; great sounds; don't think there is any problem with the progression either, nothing wrong with abrupt changes. The whole track works for me.
Absolutley true, the sudden changes contribute massivley to the overall character of the song for me, I woudn't want you to change it.

I've downloaded all your tunes from SC btw, listening to them now while reading comics.

------------------
theairwasthick is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: brokenfunk
Old 07-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #16
b_fnk
Knob Twiddler
Imaginationland

Quote:
Originally Posted by theairwasthick View Post
Absolutley true, the sudden changes contribute massivley to the overall character of the song for me, I woudn't want you to change it.

I've downloaded all your tunes from SC btw, listening to them now while reading comics.
That's me one step closer to the dream of doing music for anime shows! And I'm glad you guys liked it!

------------------
Old 07-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #17
SpinVector
Soundscaper
SpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MC
melbs
MC Status: 6892084

Very cool tune. Nice work! The mix sounds great on this end. Some great digital textures here.

Advertisements

SpinVector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote