looking for dark / atmospheric dubstep
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 17-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
worms
worms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1694
looking for dark / atmospheric dubstep

I probably could've used the search, but I don't read this forum too much so fuck it. I need some really dark & atmospheric dubstep recommendations. Preferably complex stuff too. Dark and atmospheric like Kryptic Minds or old Excision or Current Value - 'Sparse Land'. I like industrial a lot too, so industrial influence would be awesome

Advertisements

worms is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
kingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MC
London/South Coast
MC Status: 3901373
Re: looking for dark / atmospheric dubstep

You mention Current Value, check his collabo with Dean Rodell. Also again because you mentioned Current Value I assume you have heard of Cooh? He's released a few Dubstep tracks under the name of Balkansky which may be worth checking out.
Let me know if this is of any use to you and get back to me, I'll try and hit you up with more suggestions.

------------------
kingldub is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
DJVoltage
Learning The Ropes
DJVoltage is currently spamming hard
D.F.
MC Status: 10

U sick of infraworld... Welcome...
DJVoltage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
worms
worms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant futureworms has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingldub View Post
You mention Current Value, check his collabo with Dean Rodell. Also again because you mentioned Current Value I assume you have heard of Cooh? He's released a few Dubstep tracks under the name of Balkansky which may be worth checking out.
Let me know if this is of any use to you and get back to me, I'll try and hit you up with more suggestions.
his collab with dean rodell as in...the album i listed?

i'll check out the cooh stuff
Old 22-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
kingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MC
London/South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by worms View Post
his collab with dean rodell as in...the album i listed?

i'll check out the cooh stuff
Ha, yeah sorry. Also I think maybe Vex'd, Broken Note, Sick Cycle, Boxcutter, Distance, Shackleton, Goth-Trad, and Kode 9 may fit the description in one way or another. They may not all fit the 'complex' bit but certainly the 'dark' bit. Maybe also worth checking out Technical Itch's experiments with Dubstep.

------------------
Old 22-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
seayan
Knob Twiddler
seayan is a savage MCseayan is a savage MCseayan is a savage MCseayan is a savage MCseayan is a savage MCseayan is a savage MCseayan is a savage MCseayan is a savage MCseayan is a savage MCseayan is a savage MCseayan is a savage MC
MC Status: 1129779

+1 for Balkansky

Vaski could be down your alley. Also, use the search there are tonnes of these threads already.
seayan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
worms

Quote:
Ha, yeah sorry. Also I think maybe Vex'd, Broken Note, Sick Cycle, Boxcutter, Distance, Shackleton, Goth-Trad, and Kode 9 may fit the description in one way or another. They may not all fit the 'complex' bit but certainly the 'dark' bit. Maybe also worth checking out Technical Itch's experiments with Dubstep.
thanks dude! I listen to or know of most of those already but will check out the others. can't get into stuff like Distance, it's so repetitive, minimal and boring. Broken Note is awesome, that's the kind of stuff I am looking for.
Old 22-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
London/South Coast

In that case check Rottun Recordings. Some seriously heavyweight stuff on there. Some of it's shit though, like Tomba (uninspired wobble by numbers bollox), but have a look around and you'll find something. Sick Cycle for example, laaawwwwwwd.

------------------
Old 24-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
5meohd
Microknight
5meohd is a savage MC5meohd is a savage MC5meohd is a savage MC5meohd is a savage MC5meohd is a savage MC5meohd is a savage MC5meohd is a savage MC5meohd is a savage MC5meohd is a savage MC5meohd is a savage MC5meohd is a savage MC
MC Status: 25469

but what else besides rottun? I'm in the same predicamant...

trying to put together a full 2 hours of all dark insanely tech stuff and its all coming from rottun... which is not really what I want..

watching addictech helps a little.. and I just found out about Hench..

any more recomendations?
5meohd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
London/South Coast

Well shit, just find some artists you like and go from there, searching for that hidden gem is half the fun of being a music fan.
In all honesty it's not really my area, I prefer the darker more sub heavy stuff like, DMZ, Skull Disco etc

------------------
Old 24-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
HEFTY
Ghostly
HEFTY is a savage MCHEFTY is a savage MCHEFTY is a savage MCHEFTY is a savage MCHEFTY is a savage MCHEFTY is a savage MCHEFTY is a savage MCHEFTY is a savage MCHEFTY is a savage MCHEFTY is a savage MCHEFTY is a savage MC
Depths of Space
MC Status: 72430

have a listen to this stuff n see if u diggit: dark atmospheric spooky bass fuelled dubstep/dwnbeat badness

www.myspace.com/heftfield
HEFTY is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #12
worms

i guess i should just start writing this shit since I can't really find many artists making what i want to hear
Old 25-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
oemok
Learning The Ropes
oemok is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

http://www.myspace.com/valkyrarticstring

some dark stuff, very atmospheric , give it a try
oemok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #14
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
London/South Coast

I guess you guys are familiar with Mindsaw Recordings? I'm not sure if you're aware that they have a Dubstep off shoot called Dubsaw Recordings, well worth checking out.
Here's a link to a promo mix by PKay.
http://www.dnbshare.com/download/Pka...veMix.mp3.html
Tracklisting:
1) Wachs Lyrical- The Fear V.2 - DSAWD004
2) Rakoon- Darkest - DSAWD003
3) Brainpain- More - Dubsaw Dub
4) Sick Cycle- Headshot- Dubsaw Dub
5) Culprate- Trenchfoot- Dubsaw Dub
6) Hektagon - Running Through (a spounge) Culprate Remix- Dubsaw Dub
7) Barbarix- Flashcore Dub- DSAWD002
8 ) NUDE- RRR (Violent Tendencies Remix)- Dubsaw Dub
9) Rakoon & Brainpain - Bloodklart- Dubsaw Dub
10) KOAN Sound - Garden of Buddha - DSAW002
11) Brainpain- Blood of Gods- Dubsaw Dub
12) Rakoon- Feind - DSAWD003
13) Culprate - Don't Do That - DSAW001
14) KOAN Sound- New Beginnings - Dubsaw Dub
15) Xzist and Define- Who's Ya Daddy - DESPICABLE BULLYS
16) Rakoon - Thousand Years- DSAWD003
17) Brainpain- No One Left To Burn- Dubsaw Dub

Hope that helps you in your quest.

------------------
Old 25-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #15
snarefeast
Microknight
snarefeast is a savage MCsnarefeast is a savage MCsnarefeast is a savage MCsnarefeast is a savage MCsnarefeast is a savage MCsnarefeast is a savage MCsnarefeast is a savage MCsnarefeast is a savage MCsnarefeast is a savage MCsnarefeast is a savage MCsnarefeast is a savage MC
Calgary, Alberta
MC Status: 150603

http://www.myspace.com/anomalousartifacts
check out crop circles on this page....indie stuff by yours truly. it's a bit dark and techy, maybe you'll like it!
snarefeast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #16
8bitpanda
Microknight
8bitpanda has a reputation beyond repute8bitpanda has a reputation beyond repute8bitpanda has a reputation beyond repute8bitpanda has a reputation beyond repute8bitpanda has a reputation beyond repute8bitpanda has a reputation beyond repute8bitpanda has a reputation beyond repute8bitpanda has a reputation beyond repute8bitpanda has a reputation beyond repute8bitpanda has a reputation beyond repute8bitpanda has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2332

burial.......all the way
8bitpanda is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #17
sonitus
Soundscaper
sonitus is a savage MCsonitus is a savage MCsonitus is a savage MCsonitus is a savage MCsonitus is a savage MCsonitus is a savage MCsonitus is a savage MCsonitus is a savage MCsonitus is a savage MCsonitus is a savage MCsonitus is a savage MC
Malta
MC Status: 167434

burial and no doubt about that:ph34r:

------------------
sonitus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #18
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
London/South Coast

Yes, yes, well worth downloading these, as I said over on DSF.

------------------
Old 12-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #19
retort recs
Learning The Ropes
retort recs is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 47

Hyperdub and tectonics labels are a good place to start.

Burial might not be your thing if you're into wobble styles.

To find out what you want to listen to in terms of style in a very diverse genre, I would check out everything. I would also be looking at a lot of glitch-hop as well.

here's a diverse list I can name off the top of my head

• Kode9
  • Datsik
  • Opiuo
  • Harmonic 313
  • Bass Nectar (one of my faves)
  • Ill Gates
  • Robot Koch
  • Antennae
  • etc etc etc
Really, it's not hard to find good dubstep. The genre has gone pop, just about.

Quote:
Big ups on techitch, we're getting him on for our rls party soon
retort recs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #20
worms

I really like Burial (and similar stuff like headhunter or breakage), but that is not the style I am looking for. I want big dark angry industrial dubstep with noisey distorted beats, dark ominous atmospheres and analog basslines. no weedly albino shit basslines and no one beat and one plucky melody looped for 5 min, which I feel like every new producer i hear is. so i guess dubstep with industrial, darkstep and/or idm influence! wheres it at?

that tech itch track has a good dark sound but its so repetitive and nothing happens

Advertisements

------------------