QAWM 2015 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Quarterly Album Writing Month (QAWM) IDMf's Quarterly Album Writing Month project. Find all things QAWM related PLUS members own QAWM music!

Old 10-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #41
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts
Re: QAWM 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
^That's wild dude! I usually don't uninstall VSTs. FL Studio allows you to choose which ones pop up in the menu, so I just keep that pretty spartan these days, but keep everything installed in case I want it.

I'm good with a double-JAWM honestly if the album writing month project really just because something like a motivational group through the better part of the year that would be cool with me.

So far this summer I've been super guilty of wasting days getting up super late (noon), putting around the house doing enough little chores not to get yelled at and watching netflix on the iPad while I surf the net on my laptop waiting for an early cocktail hour. Rather pathetic really.
Man, you're living my life..totally! Well, aside from the Netflix bit and the early cocktail hour thing..but other than that it's the same here. (Substitute making music or playing with sounds in there for Nexflix and Cocktails. )

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 10-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #42
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

well. I am working soul crushing retail almost full time. but that describes my days off lol

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Thanks to relic
A.M (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #43
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
well. I am working soul crushing retail almost full time. but that describes my days off lol
Ah..yeah..I forgot about that little detail.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Thanks to A.M
relic (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #44
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

haha no worries...I have the house to myself this weekend so...gonna cut some bangers

------------------
Old 11-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #45
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14960

I'm running back and forth between my home of Paducah, KY and Carbondale, IL to do this Southern Illinois Music Festival. It's an orchestra festival so it's all classical music (go ahead and put your does back in their hiding places) but I'm driving an hour+ commute this week while staying certain nights. Not the most productive but I am playing something that I've never played before and is essentially a premier - Lionel Semiatin's American Symphony. Talk about some balls to the wall stuff going on. But with all the driving and how much I make per service.... well the paycheck is going to suck. Oh yeah, it's going to take a month to get it.....

Guess I shouldn't complain that I'm driving to play music. It's way better than retail, but I'm going to be broke so bitch, bitch, bitch, and bitch. Gainfully employed and miserable or kind of employed and happy? I tend to take the latter.

Either way I recorded some MIDI up into the MPC1000.....the first half of one my tunes is done so I got the drums recorded in. Hopefully next week I'll get stuff wrapped up but I've got to record vocals and that's always "a thing." But with getting around I figured I could at least take the MPC with me so I could trim samples I recorded and finish tweaking the envelopes/sound of my drums.

Also, am I weird if I don't want to share my drafts? I don't know, there'll be loads of shitty bounces so I'd rather just share the ones that don't sound like shit. Next week will be my first multi-tracking experience with my new Octopre as well....

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks
Old 11-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #46
A.M

^That sound cool, J..at least you're kept busy, which is a good thing I guess..though not great if you want to time to just be creative. Still, it must be one hell of a buzz getting up there and doing your thing..classical or not. (Sorry..this is the only one that seems to fit. Was going to use the dancing badger, but it just didn't seem right.)

Also..I think I'm with you regarding hanging on until the end before we post stuff up. We've got until the end of July to get this done, so there should be plenty of time..even with some taking holidays and the likes.

So far..I make it me..you..Muse..Relic..and possibly Kvlt..4 defs and one poss..hopefully more.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 11-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #47
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Yea. Personally, it doesn't matter to me how people do things. I'm likely going to be posting things as I go. I'm pretty set on mixing OTB and recording a single stereo take of things. I might chop and edit a bit in my DAW, but I'm going to go pretty old school on this one.

I've already run out of outs for my setup if I want to use any aux sends at all. Or I might record more instruments in mono. I was briefly contemplating using this old Berhinger mixer I have kicking around as it has far my options than my SoundCraft, but that seems like a shifty proposition...I don't recall how noisy it is...

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #48
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky

Man, why would you not use the Soundcraft? Those desks sound pretty awesome typically.

Btw, SOUNDCRAFT BROUGHT BACK THE 16FX, MKII VERSION. That's right, their little 16 channel monster with direct outs and Lexicon efx. Maybe it never went away but it's back in the Sweetwater catalog.

------------------
Thanks to JMagee
relic (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 05:26 PM   #49
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagee View Post
Man, why would you not use the Soundcraft? Those desks sound pretty awesome typically.

Btw, SOUNDCRAFT BROUGHT BACK THE 16FX, MKII VERSION. That's right, their little 16 channel monster with direct outs and Lexicon efx. Maybe it never went away but it's back in the Sweetwater catalog.
Well that decides it. I may just record more things in mono to get more inputs.

I'll have to check that out...I'm wanting to upgrade my mixer as soon as I can.

------------------
Old 13-06-2015, 05:22 AM   #50
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Going to record my first jam tomorrow. Got some shit going...all hardware...gonna just record the 2bus off my mixer...if I can figure out how to record cassette and digital at the same time...I'm going to do that just to be a nerd/hipster.

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (13-06-2015)
Old 13-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #51
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744040641
Thanked 7,464 Times in 4,621 Posts

Quote:
Going to record my first jam tomorrow. Got some shit going...all hardware...gonna just record the 2bus off my mixer...if I can figure out how to record cassette and digital at the same time...I'm going to do that just to be a nerd/hipster.
I'd suggest doing a quick 1-2 min recording first and check your levels before recording the whole improv/jam and then realising afterwards that the mix is off and you can't do anything about it. It's pretty frustrating when you jam out some good stuff but it's unusable because of level issues.
lolirl is offline   Thanks
Old 13-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #52
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

I've got this EQ/Signal splitter deal I use with cassettes that I bought off an old dude who had this EQ, a shit compressor, an old Technics deck (not a 1200 but a consumer deck), and I feel like there were some other things. Either way it's got tape monitoring and two outputs so it's my clutch home stereo EQ.

You've got a board so why not use the RCA in/out? Mixer 1/4" out to interface, RCA out to tape.

Also, I get down in mono constantly. All my drums, mono. Blippy synths arps? Mostly mono. Sources need to have good reason for me to put them into stereo. If there's stereo efx on deck then I'll add stereo with that. Overhyped stereo fields are killing great mixes everywhere in 2015 IMHO.

------------------
Thanks to JMagee
A.M (13-06-2015)
Old 15-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #53
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
I'd suggest doing a quick 1-2 min recording first and check your levels before recording the whole improv/jam and then realising afterwards that the mix is off and you can't do anything about it. It's pretty frustrating when you jam out some good stuff but it's unusable because of level issues.
true speak...I got a cold This past Friday anyhow...so I caught this before I moved on to recording. thanks

------------------
Thanks to relic
lolirl (16-06-2015)
Old 16-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #54
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744040641
Thanked 7,464 Times in 4,621 Posts

Get well soon man.
lolirl is offline   Thanks
Thanks to lolirl
relic (16-06-2015)
Old 18-06-2015, 02:05 AM   #55
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

two beats in.... and omfg I finally wrote an upbeat song...kinda like old school Underworld upbeat...might upload a jam of it later...

------------------
Old 22-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #56
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

^^^ That's what's up @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
!

Just got back from Savannah, GA for a wedding. Time to get back at it today. Post something soon.

A buddy of mine also sent me a tune of his to remix so I'll post that up when I wrap on that.

Everyone keep being ballers.

------------------
Old 22-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #57
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
^^^ That's what's up @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
!

Just got back from Savannah, GA for a wedding. Time to get back at it today. Post something soon.

A buddy of mine also sent me a tune of his to remix so I'll post that up when I wrap on that.

Everyone keep being ballers.
I'm working on a third...switched over to multitracking my kit...which I have never done before and now love...I can just jam away and edit the audio later. got put down by a cold that turned into an ear infection but went to the doc for meds and am mending...too bad they've got me working like a dog until Friday...

------------------
Old 01-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #58
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Making strides! I hope everyone else is too. My buddy asked me to remix a tune of his so we'll see how that works out.... might get posted up in here! But I've got two tunes a buzzing and another in the works! Also, digging up older stuff and actually taking a second look at it.

Maybe it's the "finally finish some shit" album writing month!

------------------
Thanks to JMagee
A.M (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #59
A.M

Quote:
..Maybe it's the "finally finish some shit" album writing month!
Yeah..starting to feel like that for me, as it so happens. I've been busy on this and have a number of tracks..enough for an album, but I'm not happy with the over-all sound of them..like I said initially, this was always going to be about getting a "sound" right, more so than actually getting tracks done on time.

The funny thing is I have more than enough tracks..but the mastering is the tough part this time round. Still, hoping to get it all finished. Have the album artwork sorted..well, for the most part..and I'm going to go with each track title being a ply on the album name, so everything ties in well on that front...just have to get it all finished. How hard can it be.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 14-07-2015, 03:34 AM   #60
A.M

OK..2 weeks since I last posted to this thread..how's things going with everyone?

I've been plugging away at things here on my end and getting places I think. Looks like it will take me right up to the last day of the month to get this done..maybe a little sooner. I'm happy with what I have so far..nothing groundbreaking, but still improvements on what I was ending up with in the past.

Hope things are going well for the rest of you folks, too.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks