[fawm]my stuff - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Quarterly Album Writing Month (QAWM) IDMf's Quarterly Album Writing Month project. Find all things QAWM related PLUS members own QAWM music!

Old 09-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #21
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5745493
Re: [fawm]my stuff

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I'm hoping I can throw some drums on my next one. Though, I'll probably just mute them again, hehe.

edit - didn't see this earlier, I use The Giant.

Last edited by bbb; 10-02-2014 at 03:52 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Say :|

bbb is offline   Thanks
Thanks to bbb
A.M (09-02-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 05:14 AM   #22
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX

adding my newest one. More movie intended maybe...

------------------

bbb is offline   Thanks
Old 11-02-2014, 05:20 AM   #23
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541177
Thanked 2,059 Times in 1,319 Posts

#4.

horror film stuff! I'd like to hear the snare be a little more beefy, maybe boost somewher in the ballpark of 150-200hz and compress? and then a bigger verb on it, kind of dark. its just a little up front to my ears. esp with where the kick sits.

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks
Old 11-02-2014, 05:32 AM   #24
bbb
IDMf Artist
ATX

Thanks man. The snare is already directed(as a lot of the channels at the moment) into a verb and a comp/distortion vst). I actually turned the volume down on the snare a bit, just to make it fit a bit more.

I think I have a lot of eq/mixing to still do. The strings are gobbling up a lot of real estate, I think, but I don't want them to feel behind the mix.

Main goal to this point was adding as much as I could. Thank you again, I may try another channel on my sends and/or comp things more. I'm a bit shy with compression, so I try to hide the need as much as possible. One reason I hate drumming things out lately.

EDIT - As to the horror stuff? Fuck yea. Those are probably some of the catchiest melodies I love.

Last edited by bbb; 11-02-2014 at 05:44 AM..

------------------

bbb is offline   Thanks
Old 12-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #25
bbb
IDMf Artist
ATX

updated 4 again. did some more arranging and editing.

------------------

bbb is offline   Thanks
Old 12-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #26
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts

u2: the intro in this is beautiful, makes me feel like im scouring a post apocalyptic wasteland and im ok with it. really terrific energy/mood. i think it would be neet to have a low sine sub bass somewhere in here for some added harmonic layers. other than that, what u got right here is great.
u3: beautiful piece again with a fantastic mood. love all of the incidental sounds accompanied with the piano layerd on top of what sounds like a field recording of your room or something. very personal piece, really like it.
u4: very cool track you got going here. sounds like a rob dougan track. really like the percs in this song as well as that funny little midi horn or w/e it is on some janky arpeggiator. great stuff but wheres u1?

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks
Old 12-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #27
bbb
IDMf Artist
ATX

Thanks man. U1 died, wasn't worth posting. I've been trying to make stuff like 2 & 3 lately. And U4 has been fun. That horn is strings where I programmed some fast notes after bit of playing, jump up and down octaves. Then flattened it and did some copy/pasting.

------------------

bbb is offline   Thanks
Old 12-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #28
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts

#4: Cool track, B..certainly hear the movie connection with this. Can't really add anything to what's been said already..like it a lot, though. Nice one..can't wait to here where you go next.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 14-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #29
bbb
IDMf Artist
ATX

updating with u5(will probably do a lot more molesting of it tomorrow and upload another copy.

Still very rough but the idea is in there, I think.

------------------

bbb is offline   Thanks
Old 14-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #30
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MC
Wulf Palace
MC Status: 40912

im listening to u5 before bed.. ill listen to the others tomorrow

at first it sounds like a simcity track but once the beat kicks in and the chords are laid out it becomes more cinematic... if thats what you were going for then bingo

the kicks ring well in the mix, no mud that i could hear.. technically it was a good mix.. doesnt sound like you put it through any squishy squishy.. which im starting to appreciate more, in this case your kick transients..

PS maybe a dab of EQ work for some richer highs, maybe even a little saturation.. just for me hehe i like a rich high band, especially with keys that are mixed in

more to come

------------------
Wulfsok is offline   Thanks
Old 14-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #31
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Start of u4 reminds me of that rob dougan clubbed to death track. Cool beat to carry the track along - kick has a nice crisp punch to it and those subtle panned cowbell-kinda sounds help bring some space to the track. Could kinda imagine some lyrics being busted over the second half.
scyn is offline   Thanks
Old 14-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #32
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MC
Wulf Palace

for some reason i really like the snare in u4 lol

i wanted to hear you flesh out the piano a bit more though, it sounds too looped and kinda low in the mix

------------------
Old 15-02-2014, 03:32 AM   #33
bbb
IDMf Artist
ATX

Thanks for the feedback. Actually updating U5 quite a bit. Taking the instruments and drums and redoing them completely as far as play.

U4, yea, the piano is two different sessions, I tried to take play from one and paste it over the last portion, make cuts and what not. It seems overally played out. WHen I come back to it, I may just start another piano + some other vsts and replay it differently all together.

Again, thank you for the feedback. I'll be hitting the other threads over the weekend.

------------------

bbb is offline   Thanks
Thanks to bbb
Wulfsok (15-02-2014)
Old 15-02-2014, 03:35 AM   #34
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulf Palace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Actually updating U5 quite a bit. Taking the instruments and drums and redoing them completely as far as play.

U4, yea, the piano is two different sessions, I tried to take play from one and paste it over the last portion, make cuts and what not. It seems overally played out. WHen I come back to it, I may just start another piano + some other vsts and replay it differently all together.

Again, thank you for the feedback. I'll be hitting the other threads over the weekend.
i feel ya time constraints do abound. this is the same reason im staying away from the keys in mine, theres like an inherent obsession to perfect them

------------------
Thanks to Wulfsok
bbb (15-02-2014)
Old 15-02-2014, 03:54 AM   #35
bbb
IDMf Artist
ATX

I find keys + a lot of drums, for me at least, is hard to write anything for. So I tend to use shorter segments of a clip or 3. Possibly even mix and match with some cuts and what not. Would like to come back to it and re-write the keys altogether, or attempt to anyway.

I'm actually taking 5's strings and keys and fleshing something out at the moment. Pretty fun and sounds pretty neat. Well, different but I'm also drinking...So everything may sound better for no reason.

------------------

bbb is offline   Thanks
Thanks to bbb
Wulfsok (15-02-2014)
Old 15-02-2014, 05:45 AM   #36
bbb
IDMf Artist
ATX

Feel like I'm spamming but, I had to post this. I'm actually going to keep the link for the initial version up as well(U5).

I did some programming on parts and built a 1.5 minute section from me playing the strings/keys all at once. This is only a section. I did remove a few hanger notes where my shitty finger movements hit though. Sort of cool, I think.

What are your thoughts?

EDIT - My last upload on 5. Will work on it over the weekend to make it a full track.

Last edited by bbb; 15-02-2014 at 06:01 AM..

------------------

bbb is offline   Thanks
Old 16-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #37
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

I'll check out 5 once you have it finished and uploaded.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 27-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #38
bbb
IDMf Artist
ATX

Because I'm sort of against uploading "finished" stuff, this is what I spent all of tonight on.

Pretty much a gap in a section. But, so much fucking fun.

------------------

bbb is offline   Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 02:28 AM   #39
bbb
IDMf Artist
ATX

Alright, I updated my first post. I'm hoping to work on music with drums and stuff in it this time. This is what I've been working on today, also very rough.

I'm going to attempt to not post everything, hold on to more and still unload them closer to the end of the month. This was a premature eja....Nevermind.

------------------

bbb is offline   Thanks
Thanks to bbb
A.M (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 03:33 AM   #40
A.M

Good stuff, man..really liked the sound of those drums..everything seems to sit pretty well together for a rough mix. It's got a late 80s feel to it..to my ears anyway. Nice one.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks