[FAWM] chaseD's having a go at this.... - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Quarterly Album Writing Month (QAWM) IDMf's Quarterly Album Writing Month project. Find all things QAWM related PLUS members own QAWM music!

Old 12-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #41
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541177
Thanked 2,059 Times in 1,319 Posts
Re: [FAWM] chaseD's having a go at this....

O.o

whoa.

thanks.

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks
Thanks to chasedobson
A.M (12-02-2014)
Old 14-02-2014, 11:33 PM   #42
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

updated #5 "it falls apart" with vox. failed relationship tune for happy valentines day...

------------------
Old 15-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #43
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts

good stuff, really like the arrangement/progression. i think the second section might be 8 to 16 bars to long it gets a bit "samey" *(saw someone use that word on this board, not sure who)

anyway great vocal treatment, what autotune do u use?

2nd half sounds a bit like boards if they were a 60s prog rock band

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks
Old 15-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #44
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

appreciated. The intent is for the ending section to get a refrain, so it's intentionally long. I got stuck so I opted to move on to the next, one day it'll get the chorus it needs.

autotune evo. its not amazing, but it does the job. one has to use it in graphical mode, as the auto/scale mode is useless IMO.

i thought boards was a 60's prog band. weird.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
stem collector (15-02-2014)
Old 15-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #45
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts

you ever use melda autopitch? its pretty good for a free autotune imo. understandable about the refrain section .its a fawm track theres no time to fix anything anyway

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks
Old 15-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #46
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

#6 added. falling behind slightly, life happened (its happening all around us). this one feels kind of like a cop out, as I relied pretty heavily on c.db.sn style production, I was trying to step away from it for this endeavour but... oh well.

------------------
Old 15-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #47
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stem collector View Post
you ever use melda autopitch? its pretty good for a free autotune imo. understandable about the refrain section .its a fawm track theres no time to fix anything anyway
I used it a LONG time ago, had it on my PC, so... maybe 5 years ago? EVO is getting the job done, though as mentioned in the FAWM general thread it would be cool to get into Melodyne.

------------------
Old 16-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #48
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Track 5: Swaying in the wind. In an open field. Friends around and all is good. Really digging the vibe. Your bass resonates like a mofo on my monitors on those high notes. Really liking the sound of the guitar, and even tho that bass is eating my chest it's really nice that it's such a lingering sound, holding the track on it's shoulders as it marches proudly across the land.
scyn is offline   Thanks
Old 16-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #49
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts

Track 5: Loved it..a really nice chilled track and I liked the way you worked the vocals on it..very effective I thought.

Track 6: I like how you use reverb on things in general, but on this track it's really good imho. You say this is your old/other style..but, as much as I like what you've done so far, I think you need to blend the two styles together, as the production on this..for a FAWM track..is really good.

I guess in the end we each do what we want to when it comes to making music, but I think track 6 is where you should be going with vocals..really nice sound, Chase.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Thanks to A.M
chasedobson (17-02-2014)
Old 17-02-2014, 01:31 AM   #50
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMechanics View Post

I guess in the end we each do what we want to when it comes to making music, but I think track 6 is where you should be going with vocals..really nice sound, Chase.
I'm just on the fence with what this next project is going to sound like.

That said, much appreciated!

------------------
Old 19-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #51
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

....and updated.

:edit: the lady said she liked this one with the "cheesy drums" muted. I like the drums... whatever, lady.

------------------
Old 20-02-2014, 12:59 AM   #52
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

# 8 added

------------------
Old 25-02-2014, 05:39 AM   #53
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts

Just listened to Track 8 and I liked it, as this is the kind of music I usually listen to..BUT..and take what follows with a giant pinch of salt: I felt your usual "chain"..as is reverb/effects..that you tend to use so well on other tracks, didn't really do this track much justice. It all sounded really cool..up to where the orchestration kicks in and then it seemed to get a bit muddy from all the high frequencies competing in the mix. Well, that's how it sounded to my ears anyway.

Plus the brass horns or whatever they were a bit too loud and totally blocked out the guitar..either by design or accident..but whichever the case may be, it was a real shame I thought, as it would have worked much better if the brass complimented the guitar, by sounding far off in the background and a bit lower gain-wise.

I know this FAWM thing we have here is all about actually working on the tracks and not the quality..and what I saying here is intended for later, when you get the chance to come back to this and edit maybe..as this is a really beautiful track..and I think it can be a lot better..and it deserves to be.

Still, with all that said..I really enjoyed this track and liked it a lot. Really nice work, Chase.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 26-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #54
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

not moving forward with new material at the moment but updated "Navigate"

------------------
Old 27-02-2014, 05:29 AM   #55
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Grrrrrr................

I had a comment to each track after I listened and I hit another button and lost it. Anyway just listened to all the tracks. Really good stuff...I especially like the rocking second part in track 5. My only suggestion is some of the vocal tracks seem like they could benefit from some temp changes just to mix things up a little. But other than that very enjoyable, thought your work was great!
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks
Old 27-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #56
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

thanks a bunch.

as far as the vocals go, I'll keep doing "my thing" until i get better at this whole singing thing. i keep trying to track more dynamic vocals and its just not there yet.

------------------
Old 27-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #57
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

Oh, I think they sound great! It was more of a speed thing. It sounds great as is though.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks
Old 28-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #58
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
Denver, CO

#9 added.

looks like i'll be short by 5 this year. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Advertisements

------------------