How can I make a living as electronic music producer or sound engeneer?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 17-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
gustavjung
Learning The Ropes
gustavjung will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
How can I make a living as electronic music producer or sound engeneer?

Hi there,

I am 30 yo, living in Moscow. For the last 7 years I was self employed entrepreneur, marketing/UX.

Now I would like to change my path. I always wanted to be a sound producer/engineer. I produced tracks, mixes and remixes when I have been studying in university.

What stops me is that the salary is low. It is nearly 450-750$ in Moscow what is lower than average Moscow salaries.

I consider relocating in Europe, UK.
Is salary for sound producers enough for living?
Is there enough jobs?

I consider some junior positions as the starting point.

Advertisements

gustavjung is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 173910
Thanked 3,478 Times in 2,076 Posts
Re: How can I make a living as electronic music producer or sound engeneer?

You have to be a "yes" man ... you have to invest yourself in your job more than what the money is worth.

It's tough and cut-throat. Lots of bs.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
A.M (17-08-2016)
Old 17-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
SwagPimp
Minor Glitch
SwagPimp has a spectacular aura aboutSwagPimp has a spectacular aura about
noob
MC Status: 160

""I always wanted to be a sound producer/engineer. I produced tracks, mixes and remixes when I have been studying in university.""

so you are one then ? and at what level ?
SwagPimp is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32360

I would look into having a good set up at home and start doing mixes/recording if you have the room on the side and do as great a job you can until your name starts being known.
But really I don't know!
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts

What did you study at university? If it wasn't related to music production, then you may need to go back and take a course in this area. Even then, starting out at 30 or over, is going to be tough..and it would be just as tough even if you were younger!

There are plenty of jobs..problem is there are too many people trying to get them. My advice would be to stay at home in your own country and try to make it there, as I'm sure you must have some sort of contact network already.

If you move to some other country, you really would be starting off all over again..basically, if you think it's hard at the moment while you're living at home, it will only be harder once you make the move.

You really need to re-think all this. If it's just about the money, then find something else to do with your time and focus on music production as a hobby..one that you might be able to make a little money from on the side, but something you're not depending on for a living.

Sorry, there's no easy answer to your question/s..it's hard to get up and running business-wise in this area..not impossible, but hard..and doing it in a new country, without the right resources in place is only asking for trouble.

My advice in short: Stay at home..keep honing your music production skills..try to build a name and following locally..and if you haven't already, take an accredited course in music production / sound engineering.

Most important of all..only do it if it's fun.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199647118
Thanked 4,957 Times in 3,193 Posts

I've had some paid work before from a handful of different sources. One really big job with a nice payday and a few other minor bits of this and that here and there. As a result of that work, and some examples of my own stuff, I have a portfolio of before and after type stuff that demonstrates what I can do should I get an opportunity to demonstrate it to someone. But more important than a portfolio is networking. You have to get to know people, get interested in their projects, and be willing to do some work for free to start.

If you know some guys in a band offer to do a mix for free. You know any working musicians, see if they'd want to collaborate on a project. Put yourself out there, get involved, start working for free and build your contact base that way. I'm not very aggressive as far as my services go because I'm doing this for personal enjoyment mainly. But there have been five occasions, with different people, over the last year that I've been offered work. But it all started with me getting interested in what they were doing and stepping up when there was a need.

So with proper networking and skill I think paid work for you is possible and maybe not as hard as you'd think it'd be to get. Getting people on the hook though, from what I've seen, is a slow play and you have to be willing to give.

Obviously there will come a time when you'd want to setup a website with examples and start charging every time. I made a thread once and received some helpful information from a friend of mine on here that you might find useful...

Rate Structuring

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
Muse-ic (17-08-2016)
Old 17-08-2016, 06:45 PM   #7
gustavjung
Learning The Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwagPimp View Post
""I always wanted to be a sound producer/engineer. I produced tracks, mixes and remixes when I have been studying in university.""

so you are one then ? and at what level ?
Difficult to say. Here are my tracks and remixes but they are 10 years old
promodj dot com/SERIY/music
Old 17-08-2016, 09:55 PM   #8
gustavjung
Learning The Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I studied psychology. And yes, I am thinking about some courses. Now there are a lot of cheap courses like Udemy/Lynda or more serious online courses on Sound Design.

Yes, now I see the only way is to focus on music production as a hobby. But anyway I am searching for job abroad as UX because of higher purchasing power of salaries comparing with Moscow.

Thank you very much for your advice
Thanks to gustavjung
A.M (17-08-2016)
Old 18-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
SwagPimp
Minor Glitch
SwagPimp has a spectacular aura aboutSwagPimp has a spectacular aura about
noob
MC Status: 160

lol ^^
SwagPimp is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #10
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080264
Thanked 1,232 Times in 832 Posts

i am a lvl 7 film music maker and a lvl 3 producer. you have to multiclass

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 05:27 PM   #11
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32360

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab View Post
Are you a lvl 14 sorcerer too?
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
liquid_air (23-08-2016)
Old 18-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #12
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237779

Make EDM with lyrics glorifying Putin as the chosen saviour of all mankind and get state sponsored.

Not even kidding, probably the only way to make it in Moscow.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 11:56 PM   #13
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 23110

lol the way you talk about it like a normal job. I think when being an entrepreneur the chance is always there, but the set backs and gains depends on you rather than the market

------------------
NewWorldOrder is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 02:54 AM   #14
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6906559
Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,147 Posts

Don't do things for free.

Don't make music (audio dude... audio)

Don't do work for "friends".

Don't be nice to people unless they pay you.

You do those things, you have maybe a 1% chance of making a living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab View Post
Then re-spec when you hit your thirties and become a level 20 neuromancer.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #15
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947531
Thanked 5,787 Times in 3,634 Posts

Networking is the key thing. I suck royally at it. My portfolio isn't huge but it's enough to get a few random people interested but I'm still waiting on a big break to come along. I say waiting but lately I've tried taking steps to advertise and put myself out there so that people know i'm in the game of mixing and mastering. 80% of the time they ask my rates and then I never hear back from them. I consider myself a bit lucky to have been asked by a band on an actual functioning record label to mix their new album and will use that credit to my advantage like a motherfucker in the future.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 03:27 AM   #16
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outre Lights View Post
If you have a degree in psych or whatever then forget trying to be a professional producer.

Keep music as a hobby and maybe some side work. Odds are greatly in your favour that you'll be better off financially, and probably mentally too
Or you know, find a way to get that golden work/life balance. If you can invest enough time, in material that is appealing enough to the general public (it stings, but it's true) you can make it work. THAT or I know a guy who does electro-metal, off-topic I know, but even tho he lives an "average" life, he makes a name for himself joining on split albums with other bands. The money may not roll in, but reputation helps more than becoming a "perfect" producer.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:37 AM   #17
st3aLth
Soundscaper
st3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3410

get a job in a local studio
st3aLth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to st3aLth
neyus (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 04:33 AM   #18
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outre Lights View Post
If you have a degree in psych or whatever then forget trying to be a professional producer.

Keep music as a hobby and maybe some side work. Odds are greatly in your favour that you'll be better off financially, and probably mentally too
This is true. The only down side of having a full time job is that you wont have that much time for music, BUT in the long run you should be able to live off of your current job.

Also dont have kids if you want to do music lol

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:37 AM   #19
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 63310
Thanked 1,266 Times in 932 Posts

Nothing great was ever accomplished without enthusiasm.

Thing is, you're not going to have a career in anything without tireless dedication to what you're doing. In my professional life I'm seeing this every day. People that are really good at their job are deeply committed, do all that's required and then some, and they have a finely attuned sense for what matters most and become better and better at that. It takes skill to be on top of it. Talent, imo, only defines how easy it comes to a person to develop the skills needed. For music or the arts in general, an emotional connection with the audience seems vital and it is debatable to what degree that can be learned without it feeling fake. If you can't establish that connection, your career will be limited.

In that way, committing to music to the extent it requires seems like a risky bet. But if you don't, it won't be a career, it'll remain a hobby.

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote