THE BEST INSTRUMENT TO HAVE IN AMBIENT MUSIC????? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 25-04-2016, 06:34 PM   #21
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts
Re: THE BEST INSTRUMENT TO HAVE IN AMBIENT MUSIC?????

Your ears, inspiration and a firm understanding of how important silence is and how it works in a track..everything else doesn't really matter. If you grasp what I've just said and spend a little time trying to really understand it, then you'll be able to make ambient music with anything.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
relic (25-04-2016)
Old 25-04-2016, 10:16 PM   #22
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237779

Can we make this more interesting?

The best acoustic instrument to have for Ambient?

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 10:23 PM   #23
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
Can we make this more interesting?

The best acoustic instrument to have for Ambient?
Pushed..I'd go with a stringed instrument..mainly because of I loved the sound you get from strings, but you can also work wonders with recorded strings..turning them into practically anything you want.

Which strings would I personally go for? Cello every time.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Blingley (25-04-2016)
Old 25-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #24
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Your ears, inspiration and a firm understanding of how important silence is and how it works in a track..everything else doesn't really matter. If you grasp what I've just said and spend a little time trying to really understand it, then you'll be able to make ambient music with anything.
The Ambient Authority weighs in!

Big up "silence" I wish more modern productions were more subtle... Unfortunately not much of that these days...

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (25-04-2016)
Old 26-04-2016, 12:12 AM   #25
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
The Ambient Authority weighs in!

Big up "silence" I wish more modern productions were more subtle... Unfortunately not much of that these days...
I just started a project as it so happens..more of a kind of personal therapy thing really..coming to terms with a few things in my life and using music to work through and deal with them.

Guess you can say I'm going back to my roots..basic soundscape stuff, but very still and low-key..something you might be interested in hearing when it all finished. I'll shot you a PM when it is, if you want.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
relic (26-04-2016)
Old 26-04-2016, 01:31 AM   #26
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
I just started a project as it so happens..more of a kind of personal therapy thing really..coming to terms with a few things in my life and using music to work through and deal with them.

Guess you can say I'm going back to my roots..basic soundscape stuff, but very still and low-key..something you might be interested in hearing when it all finished. I'll shot you a PM when it is, if you want.
Please do! I'd love to take a listen.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (26-04-2016)
Old 27-06-2016, 12:47 AM   #27
earthportal
Regular Freak
earthportal will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I love using guitar with many effects pedals hooked together to mix the effects and create sustained ambient tones to cut up and edit. Delays mixed with reverbs, pitched delays, etc.
earthportal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 12:51 AM   #28
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 7010

A guitar with a shit ton of delays

Or a synth with a shit ton of delays

------------------
:bye::bye:
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 666
vashima (27-07-2016)
Old 28-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #29
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38947

Build one then

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #30
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 63310
Thanked 1,266 Times in 932 Posts

Quote:
A nice example of this that comes to mind is Atom Heart live at s/e/l

In all fairness, though, a lot of ambient I like seems to be devoid of total silence. Are you referring to silence in specific frequency bands? Certainly all have broadly speaking a significantly attenuated volume level. Is it a nuanced use of volume levels you're thinking of?

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 10:14 PM   #31
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
A nice example of this that comes to mind is Atom Heart live at s/e/l

In all fairness, though, a lot of ambient I like seems to be devoid of total silence. Are you referring to silence in specific frequency bands? Certainly all have broadly speaking a significantly attenuated volume level. Is it a nuanced use of volume levels you're thinking of?
No, I was talking about the space between the notes as you play them, something both Claude Debussy and Mozart believed in, as is clear from the often quoted saying attributed to both composers - "Music is the space between the notes."

You could say it's merely about timing..but there's something more to it than that..perhaps a little too "romantic" for some, but I think it has more to do with developing an awareness of the feelings that can be expressed by that silence or space between the notes played.

------------------
Old 01-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #32
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 123310
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,444 Posts

All of your suggestions sound lame. There's nothing better than kazoo, air horn, vuvuzela & fridge combo. They all together bring a whole new dimension to ambient music, a true out-of-this-world harmony that makes listener cry of joy and pain.

------------------
ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:52 PM   #33
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
All of your suggestions sound lame. There's nothing better than kazoo, air horn, vuvuzela & fridge combo. They all together bring a whole new dimension to ambient music, a true out-of-this-world harmony that makes listener cry of joy and pain.
Fridge quartets are so out of vogue, ms. You need to step up your game to dishwasher quartets.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 10:56 PM   #34
ExAx
Learning The Ropes
ExAx is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

The cello
ExAx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #35
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19910

Quote:
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Schnork
A.M (27-07-2016)
Old 27-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #36
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

pull the attack off of everything not playing a lead, reverb/delay most instruments playing the chord progression, slow things down, don't rush your key changes or introductions to melodies. Ambient music can be created with any sounds/instruments, as long as they are used in "ambient" ways.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to vashima
Nystagmus (29-07-2016)
Old 27-07-2016, 05:04 PM   #37
DOLGAP
Granular Poster
DOLGAP is just really niceDOLGAP is just really niceDOLGAP is just really niceDOLGAP is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Sampler.
DOLGAP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DOLGAP
666 (05-08-2016)
Old 27-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #38
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20810

made this with fridge sounds, an 808 kick, and a 707 kick along with one analog synth track
you don't need much for textural soundscapes, tonal ambient is harder to create though.

also, I just counted, for this track I used 43 effects in total (2 different reverb types, ping pong delay, glue compression, eq, etc...)

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mute machine
vashima (28-07-2016)
Old 28-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #39
sockpuppet300
Learning The Ropes
sockpuppet300 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Steel drum
sockpuppet300 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: actress
Thanks to sockpuppet300
Blingley (14-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #40
fieldsofgrief
Granular Poster
fieldsofgrief is a name known to allfieldsofgrief is a name known to allfieldsofgrief is a name known to allfieldsofgrief is a name known to allfieldsofgrief is a name known to allfieldsofgrief is a name known to all
MC Status: 610

A guitar + some fx pedals is a good place to start. Same goes for any basic synth / keyboard with flexible parameters. Ambient (for me at least) is about making as few things as possible as meaningful as possible, so in this sense you don't have to have a setup that is super complicated until you really start to get into tweaking textures etc.

Advertisements

fieldsofgrief is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to fieldsofgrief
A.M (05-08-2016)