Advice on Music promotion
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 23-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
invoker75
Minor Glitch
invoker75 will become famous soon enough
London, UK
MC Status: 60
Advice on Music promotion

I apologize if this is not in the right section.

Anyways I'm looking for tips for music promotion.
I really like soundcloud, it's a good tool to get other producers to listen to your music and comment, share their work etc... The good thing about soundcloud is that it's pretty easy to promote your work (no anti spam measures) and people are generally nicer on it than on Youtube. The bad thing about it is that you mostly attract music producers or people related to the music business somehow.

The other tool I use is Youtube. The good thing is that you can reach out to everyone on Youtube and not just the music people. The bad thing about Youtube that you can't really send informative messages to people because Youtube blocks you from sending out messages for a short while after you send two consecutive messages. Another bad thing is people coming to hate on your work when you spam on other videos (and believe me spamming is the only way). And to be honest all that, doesn't bring you that much views.

First of all I wanted to know if you had tips concerning that?

Then, I'm looking for either a promoter or a Label. What are your tips to find the right promoter/label to inscrease your listeners?

Advertisements

invoker75 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
mimicry
Deep Underground
mimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MC
MC Status: 6715879
Re: Advice on Music promotion

First of all, make awesome music. That takes care of most of your problems.

Secondly, have some self-respect. Spamming is only useful for pissing people off and being an idiot.

Put out quality content regularly, keep connected with your fans, be polite and patient.

------------------

Mimicry - Felt Like Walking:
mimicry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Hypergiant
Digital Surfer
Hypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MC
Galway
MC Status: 68286

If you spammed me that there would be one way to make sure I never listen to your music.
Hypergiant is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
invoker75
Minor Glitch
invoker75 will become famous soon enough
London, UK
MC Status: 60

I think I expressed myself in the wrong way. lol
I don't want to spam people, I'm just saying there's no anti spam measures on soundcloud to explain that you can send out the number of messages you want without being blocked at some point. I am always polite, and I keep in touch with my fans (: I was just pointing out that on Youtube if you send more than 2 messages one after the other they block you for a short while which is ridiculous. I never spam, I just regularly stay in touch with people. 2 messages is a ridiculous limit IMO.

My question is quite confusing, but I think what I really want to know is how to get in touch with promoters or labels?

Do you guys have promoters or labels that take care of your promotion?
invoker75 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
DoctaMario
Soundscaper
DoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MC
Ca$hville, TN
MC Status: 447799

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimicry View Post
First of all, make awesome music. That takes care of most of your problems.

Secondly, have some self-respect. Spamming is only useful for pissing people off and being an idiot.

Put out quality content regularly, keep connected with your fans, be polite and patient.
This is some of the best advice really.

Thing is, unless you make dance music, a lot of the folks who listen to your stuff (at least initially) are gonna be other producers.

Play a lot of shows too. The most important work you'll do is probably the work you'll do out in the "real" world.
DoctaMario is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Divercity
Red Gains signifies POWER
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
MC Status: 109299477

This is how I see it..... Let your music speak for itself. Be yourself and treat everyone with respect even if they are arseholes.

But meh....Don't take it from me..I'm not big.

------------------
"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Divercity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by invoker75 View Post
The bad thing about Youtube that you can't really send informative messages to people
if you dont like to hear that you are a spammer then maybe this will help:

nobody likes to be informed

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Hypergiant
Digital Surfer
Hypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MCHypergiant is a savage MC
Galway
MC Status: 68286

In the dance music scene, House and Deep House, Techno that I'm involved in is very accepting. Its not like anyone should feel intimidated by any of these people. They're just like you or me, everyday people too. Make contacts on facebook etc. Chat to people and be involved. Don't just go on and on about listening to your track. If you seem to be interacting with other producers/DJ's/Labels that have a big fanbase and they to you also their fans will be turned onto you through association. I'm not saying have an ulterior motive but generally if you show your active and interested people will acknowledge that.
Hypergiant is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Hypergiant
PROton42 (24-05-2012)
Old 24-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #9
mimicry
Deep Underground
mimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MC
MC Status: 6715879

Quote:
Originally Posted by invoker75 View Post
Another bad thing is people coming to hate on your work when you spam on other videos (and believe me spamming is the only way).
Sorry, I must have understood that sentence in a wrong way.

But yes, Dannyking is right. Write the person/entity that you need. But you have to have a product that they're interested in. That means it has to have potential to make them money.

My band is not under a label, we've turned some things down but maybe there will be some action on that front in the near future. So far our manager takes care of the promotion.

------------------

Mimicry - Felt Like Walking:
mimicry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
The_Astrolabe
Regular Freak
The_Astrolabe is currently spamming hard
Chicago
MC Status: 10

i think just throwing your music up on the internet and expecting great things to happen won't get you very far.

I wouldn't even think about signing with a label right now.

I think, as others said, putting out quality work, building up your fan base, connecting with your fans is the key.

And instead of "spamming" finding your niche, and finding the people that make and listen to your kind of music and targeting them

Advertisements

The_Astrolabe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote