Help with rack gear
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 18-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
p_s_f
Soundwave Mangler
p_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MC
MC Status: 1315326
Help with rack gear

Hey guys, so I've started to put together a hybrid software/hardware studio. I've got some excellent monitors, headphones, and all the nuts and bolts. It's finally come time to picking out some hardware pieces, I've got a few FET compressors, a nice DBX tube compressor, an old Lexicon Reverb, but I'm wondering what sort of old archaic rack effects can get some cool sounds in the vein of early 90's Warp artists.

I'm probably getting an Alesis Midiverb II, and an SP-202 shortly. I'd prefer gritty/lo-fi outboard gear, since I get most of my polished sounds in the box.

Would a parametric EQ be a decent investment? A multi-fx unit? I do have a slew of guitar pedals to use so maybe a multi-fx would be useless.

I'd also take suggestions on a synth to compliment my Roland Alpha Juno I. Maybe a DSI Mopho? I really like the pad sounds on the Alpha Juno I, so I think I've got everything covered for pads. I'm sort of lacking in the bass department though.

Just please don't respond, "but this plug-in does ________ better than (this piece of hardware)" I'm well aware of VST software, I just come from a rock background so tactile instruments tend to be better than software for brain.

Advertisements

p_s_f is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
claaser
Soundscaper
claaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MCclaaser is a savage MC
MC Status: 8385220
Re: Help with rack gear

How about a Jomox T-Resonator? Goes from spacey-smooth to hardcore-distorted, analog and unpredictable. Needs a limiter for ear and monitor safety.

Or an OTO Machines Biscuit.

------------------
Glitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks.
claaser is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
p_s_f
Soundwave Mangler
p_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MC
MC Status: 1315326
Re: Help with rack gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by claaser View Post
How about a Jomox T-Resonator? Goes from spacey-smooth to hardcore-distorted, analog and unpredictable. Needs a limiter for ear and monitor safety.

Or an OTO Machines Biscuit.
Whoah that Jomox T-resonator sounds insane.

EDIT: Apparently it sounds awesome with practically anything, I just watched some demos with a Rhodes, Moog Little Phatty, and a guitar...

Last edited by p_s_f; 19-12-2011 at 07:22 PM..

Advertisements

p_s_f is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote