How to overcome a "block"? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 21-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #41
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts
Resist

Like much of everything else, avoid and actively resist all fearmongering and conformity to insanity. Brains work better this way.

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #42
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8548930
Thanked 7,160 Times in 5,078 Posts
Re: How to overcome a "block"?

Two ideas I fully support:

1. Travel
2. Sampling (in generally, though horror movies have a lot of good fodder, probably sci fi too)

As for the travel thing, just if people think they have to go far from home, I don't think that is necessary. While I agree a bit of "culture shock" is the best, even getting out of town to the "big city" or the "country"...just a change of scenery can be refreshing. Some people seem to like to take some gear with them, personally I subscribe more to the experience and absorb theory...go have the experiences and write about them later, but whatever floats yer boat!

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #43
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 44560

I figured out the code

Aside from knowing your ABACABB's, the real trick is to just mash A, B and C, and hit start when you're above the line. The block will be overcome, and then you can advance to the next level.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 06:31 PM   #44
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Aside from knowing your ABACABB's, the real trick is to just mash A, B and C, and hit start when you're above the line.
the same applies to coming up with song structure. at least it works for me.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 07:10 PM   #45
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

Is it bad that the very first comment I had on that tutorial was "This is how Genesis wrote Abacab."

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
Vault O))) (21-03-2017)
Old 28-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #46
ColinMolton
Learning The Ropes
ColinMolton will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

If you're blocked, you might just be empty. Try taking a break and trying some random stuff (not necessarily related to the project) for a while, then going back and trying again
ColinMolton is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ColinMolton
hellscion (29-03-2017)
Old 29-03-2017, 05:16 PM   #47
NotApplicable
Microknight
NotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond repute
MA
MC Status: 2860

I like to listen to non-edm/electronic music when I am not mixing or creating tracks. It clears the mind and helps to focus on the electronic work at hand.

------------------
NotApplicable is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #48
ziino
Regular Freak
ziino is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

walk in nature, listen to music that you wouldnt usually listen to.
ziino is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #49
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

The best way to overcome a block is think about how you would overcome a block in another situation. If you are walking down the street and something is in your way, you need to move or find another path.

Basically you need to do something different, or try another path.

Sometimes it just means breaking through what is blocking your way by keeping at it. I think everything worthwhile takes grit when you get past the high of a new idea. So working through it and finding new avenues are the best way to keep along your journey.

Put one foot in front of the other and keep going!

Last edited by Muse-ic; 11-04-2017 at 05:08 PM..
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #50
Stressshot
Minor Glitch
Stressshot will become famous soon enough
Helsinki
MC Status: 60

Had a sick block couple days ago which still haunts me a bit. Thoughts of ending making music. Made a little bit of a music today just now. Feels okay. Feels fresh. Kept telling me its just this resistance

Here is my secret weapon : War of Art pdf. You can just google it.
Stressshot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 04:09 AM   #51
DreyDay
Learning The Ropes
DreyDay is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stressshot View Post
Had a sick block couple days ago which still haunts me a bit. Thoughts of ending making music. Made a little bit of a music today just now. Feels okay. Feels fresh. Kept telling me its just this resistance

Here is my secret weapon : War of Art pdf. You can just google it.
Awesome book, the War of Art. Should be on the list of anybody who produces music. I had a long writer's block, and after studying some music theory I was able to overcome it. What I did was play around on the keyboard with various scales and keys, and combining matching chords that correspond with each key. I was able to come up with some cohesive music at that point.

Do you know scales well? Try playing around with combining chords together and see what you can come up with.
DreyDay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Smashing Pumpkins - Pale Horse
Old 09-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #52
DRR
Minor Glitch
DRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to behold
Derbyshire
MC Status: 660

While I'm listening to 'incidental' music (I mean the kind of music playing in the background in TV adverts, TV progs, film themes etc) my mind often races ahead and composes the music as it should have been, rather than how it actually is. The secret is then to get the idea down on paper, recorded etc as soon as possibe, because 1 minute later I know I will have forgotten it.
DRR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #53
NotApplicable
Microknight
NotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond repute
MA
MC Status: 2860

I haven't produced anything in about a month. I just sat down to try and flesh out the track I'm working on and everything seems wrong.

I don't have that fire anymore and I need to get it back.

------------------
NotApplicable is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 07:22 PM   #54
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler
Kyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Trying working on another song or start a new one. If that doesn't work take a break. Go outside, watch some TV or whatever it takes.

------------------
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 07:38 PM   #55
DRR
Minor Glitch
DRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to behold
Derbyshire
MC Status: 660

Just a few suggestions
Could it be the song is going nowhere, so start again? (I know someone else suggested this)
Do you start from your own standard template (I often start with my own standard percussion line)? If so, then start fresh.
Do you start with the programming or analogue instrument? Either way try starting with the other.
Just try it a different way.
And definitely read War of Art
DRR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #56
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrpto View Post
Trying working on another song or start a new one. If that doesn't work take a break. Go outside, watch some TV or whatever it takes.
Listen to this guy, this guy has no blocks in his life. He is making new song every 2 days.

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 01:15 AM   #57
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler
Kyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario D View Post
Listen to this guy, this guy has no blocks in his life. He is making new song every 2 days.
ROFL! Unfortunately I'm limited to posting only 1 per week because i have under 300 posts. Most of it is not viable anyways.

Last edited by Kyrpto; 27-05-2017 at 02:04 AM..

------------------
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kyrpto
Mario D (27-05-2017)
Old 27-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #58
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

An apple a day; keeps the doctor away

Old 27-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #59
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 44560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
An apple a day; keeps the doctor away

I dunno, I usually stick to cooked foods when I'm feeling blocked. Different strokes

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:19 AM   #60
Muse-ic
Wanderer

I saw this today on a musician site and thought it applied, "The art of practicing is finding a process for repetition without boredom".

Advertisements