Basics of a Trap song? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #61
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644318
Thanked 4,901 Times in 3,161 Posts
Re: Basics of a Trap song?

^Well produced to me and my subjective view of "sounding good" means -

Sharp. Polished. Great sense of space. Every sound carved out and in its own place. Intentional. Very much not lo-fi.

That first dm5 example is older so it might not fit that mold exactly but the others do I think, subjectively speaking.

Don't get me wrong there can be and is some "well produced" lo-fi stuff that I do like but what I'm talking about is that very much hi-fi commercial sound. And c'mon FMB I'm sure you know what I'm talking about even with the use of terms that I realize are subjective in nature.

Advertisements

------------------
------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:18 PM   #62
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
And c'mon FMB I'm sure you know what I'm talking about even with the use of terms that I realize are subjective in nature.
yeah youre right mate im saying things i dont mean in order to be of slight annoyance to you

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #63
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 109200
Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,402 Posts

I'm digging on some seriously top 40s tunes right now too. I got them for my daughter originally but they get in your head. Bastards.

The WORST (But I love it)

The Horns, SO GOOD (but I hate myself)
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
Lug (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #64
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 57060
Thanked 1,141 Times in 844 Posts

How did this turn into the worst guilty pleasures thread?

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #65
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357123

Quote:
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
; I'm curious to know specifically what EDM you've heard over the last lets just say 60 days that's boring and easy to make? I'll admit that yes some of it is but I ask because I've heard some that is actually pretty bang on good. I used to feel the same way and make similar comments as you but that was before I actually heard much of any at all.

Now that I'm quite a few years into this electronic music game we play here and actually know what it would take to make a track sound as good as some of the shit coming out of that scene I'm pretty impressed with some of the stuff I have heard.

Also where are you at with FMB's challenge for you to make a trap tune? Can we have a link?
I didn't actually say that it was boring or easy to make, I said that it was bullshit..I said that I preferred music that required some talent to make but you might notice that I like a lot of electronic stuff so..

No I don't play those stupid games because it wouldn't matter whether what I made was good or not people would just take it as an excuse to be an asshole

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:32 AM   #66
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Totally.

King of EDM is DM5 right? Right. He was the first I thought I'd give a shot and the only one I've been saving tracks on a playlist from as I hear ones that I like. Here's three of my favorites that I feel are undeniably good. Beyond this I've been just pulling up random electro / pop and electro pop playlists and much of it is solid. Same with top 40 stuff too I hear my daughter play in the car. It's all really really really well produced, I don't care if the vocalist didn't make it...if it's good it's good and a sound I'd aspire to but never reach as of yet.

Being as most of the EDM I've liked other than DM5 is random playlist stuff I'd have to spend time looking for it going back through previously played things etc. But for now at least these were the first things I heard that got me paying attention...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Then there's this thing...

And this could likely be the best beat I've heard full stop right here, killer...

There was a thread on here a month or so ago about Dirtybird records. That's more house stuff but still "mainstream" tendencies. I had a look at their website once and have been listening to their stuff as well on Spotify and it's all solid too.
Yeah, he's actually one of the only guys I checked out myself. I quite like this one as well although it's not very complex I find it quite catchy:

And here is something else I found while looking at fpv drone vids on youtube. It's pretty cheesy but for some reason I actually like it (maybe because it went pretty well with the video, lol):

And something else which is more on the house/techno side:

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to professurreal
RFJ (08-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 08:36 AM   #67
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellscion View Post
I didn't actually say that it was boring or easy to make, ... I said that I preferred music that required some talent to make
Aren't you kind of contradicting yourself? Why do you assume that it does not take talent to make? What is talent to you? Why does playing an instrument require more talent than producing a good track on the computer? Don't both require different kinds of talent?

I think you just have your own definition of talent and only apply it to certain fields that you seem to find more important than others which is more like a subjective opinion rather than truth.

------------------
Thanks to professurreal
FunkMasterBrown (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #68
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357123

Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
I think you just have your own definition of talent and only apply it to certain fields that you seem to find more important than others which is more like a subjective opinion rather than truth.
Not to burst your bubble but everyone does that...

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:09 AM   #69
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellscion View Post
Not to burst your bubble but everyone does that...
I'm not so sure. I can dislike something but still accept that whoever made it is talented even if I personally dislike what he/she accomplished. Like some very technical metal for example. Although I might not like it I can still respect the ability of the person playing the instrument. So as far as that goes I find taste to be subjective but I think most people will agree the physical ability is still pretty impressive.

------------------
Thanks to professurreal
FunkMasterBrown (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #70
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42391649
Thanked 5,153 Times in 3,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
I can dislike something but still accept that whoever made it is talented even if I personally dislike what he/she accomplished.
That's just the difference between a child with a self centered point of view and a grown-up. Not everyone who gets older is a grown-up

I see it on here all the time and am guilty at times of it myself.

Child: Don't like something? Its automatically shite.
Grownup: Don't like something? Its not to my taste but can appreciate the work or talent that went into it.

Like most things, doesn't apply all the time. Some stuff really is just talentless shite

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #71
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
That's just the difference between a child with a self centered point of view and a grown-up. Not everyone who gets older is a grown-up

I see it on here all the time and am guilty at times of it myself.

Child: Don't like something? Its automatically shite.

Grownup: Don't like something? Its not to my taste but can appreciate the work or talent that went into it.

Like most things, doesn't apply all the time. Some stuff really is just talentless shite

I agree completely. I was just trying to point out that talent is not as subjective as taste or do you not agree?

------------------
Old 08-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #72
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42391649
Thanked 5,153 Times in 3,357 Posts

Talent can be somewhat subjective in that it isn't always visible if the person receiving the output has no frame of reference. Look at Jackson Pollock splatting a canvas. Might just be splat on canvas if you had no knowledge of what he was up to.

So I guess there's elements of objectivity and subjectivity. As previously pointed out on this thread, the perception can change as the receiver gains knowledge of the subject and increases their understanding of the goals of the content.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 11:23 PM   #73
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20760

basics of trap?
REALLY FUCKING FAST HIHATS!

really though, you need fast hihats.

Advertisements

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote