Anyone else composing this way? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 28-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #61
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts
Re: Anyone else composing this way?

^I only purchased the LE version, the cheaper 49 dollar one, because I really only wanted a point and click chord assistant based on the circle of fifths. The midi import is included in the more robust full version although I haven't tried it. Being as I knew i wasn't going to be able to fork over the 149 for the full the only thing I touched when demoing was the one I bought.

I'm really enjoying it, more than I thought I would actually. I don't really find it all that counter-intuitive either, especially if you're just looking to build basic chord progressions. Pick a key and click or drag away, export and done. My primary concern before I tried it was I'd feel like I was cheating but I've found I don't feel that way at all. This program won't make someone a great songwriter but its a fantastic assistant for anyone drawing midi and, like you said, a great aid for anyone who doesn't know theory chapter and verse. Being able to build the progression then import it to a project and go to town has put the fun back in those times when all i have access to is my laptop to compose on.

What do you find counter-intuitive about it specifically?

Advertisements

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #62
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564530
Thanked 7,472 Times in 5,276 Posts

Yea. Harmony Navigator is never going to teach you theory on its own. I'm already learning some things at a slow pace. I've some sense of what is going on already and I don't feel like I'm clicking blinding to find a progression.

I'm not sure if you can import MIDI into the Lite version, but I'm sure one of their other products or the full version has this feature. I will have to check it out though.

Also, thanks for that response about 10 posts back directed at me, I'll have a close look at that ASAP.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #63
Musicalis
Minor Glitch
Musicalis is a jewel in the roughMusicalis is a jewel in the roughMusicalis is a jewel in the rough
London, Ontario
MC Status: 260

As someone looking for new ways to learn, I'm giving this a download for sure.
Will edit back on how it goes for me. Thanks for sharing this.
Musicalis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Musicalis
relic (09-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 01:00 AM   #64
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684970

omg forgot to reply back ITT

i've made screenshots and everything as I was tooling around, along with another similar program I demoed [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
... i just forgot to actually, uh, post about it

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Son of Akira
relic (09-11-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #65
aHappyKitty
Learning The Ropes
aHappyKitty is currently spamming hard
Okinawa, Japan
MC Status: 10

I had the pleasure of taking an AP Music Theory course during my senior year of high school. I already understood most of the basic concepts of theory, but learning the core mechanics of songs, from classical to modern jazz, was amazing.

My teacher had plenty of gems of wisdom that I probably won't forget, but one was about his college life studying theory. He told us how he spent his time learning every single rule about theory and composition in classes 1 through 3, only to completely throw them out the window in the 4th year.

If anything, learning theory will help you understand how to break the rules and write original pieces.
aHappyKitty is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:53 AM   #66
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53741005
Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,627 Posts

RapidComposer
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #67
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Cypher,
What program is that? seems interesting.

*+++* Kudos for the elaborate post. I wish all posts had that amount of visual aid.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #68
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashima View Post
Cypher,
What program is that? seems interesting.

*+++* Kudos for the elaborate post. I wish all posts had that amount of visual aid.

RapidComposer.

------------------
Thanks to Cypherclerk
vashima (13-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 02:32 AM   #69
Lepstok
Knob Twiddler
Lepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2410

Very cool app but keep in mind that building a skeleton might not always yield the best results.
It can kinda forces the natural progression of a song. Maybe a progression makes sense in theory but once you add all the voices it might make less sense (considering the overall progression of the bass, melody, etc.).

But nonetheless this is a very cool app for experimenting, studying, help, composing, etc.

------------------
Lepstok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:47 PM   #70
TNORTS
Minor Glitch
TNORTS has a spectacular aura aboutTNORTS has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

this app seemes interesting to me. I don't have strong theory background so maybe this would help with that.
TNORTS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 11:52 PM   #71
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherclerk View Post

RapidComposer.
awesome, thanks man.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 06:29 AM   #72
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

I've been trying out RapidComposer and my favorite part so far are the chord suggestions based on rulesets, and the fact that you can create your own ruleset. I'm currently analyzing the music of an artist I really dig and making my own ruleset based on it.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mindsweeper
relic (15-11-2015)
Old 15-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #73
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7238279

Not that way, but I occasionally compose tracks inside Sibelius. While the staff notation is beyond dated, really a mess that cannot be fixed, and all the evil things in live, it still does beat piano roll for some purposes.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
relic (15-11-2015)
Old 15-11-2015, 07:05 PM   #74
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564530
Thanked 7,472 Times in 5,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
I've been trying out RapidComposer and my favorite part so far are the chord suggestions based on rulesets, and the fact that you can create your own ruleset. I'm currently analyzing the music of an artist I really dig and making my own ruleset based on it.
I feel like I'm learning more and more about harmony on an instinct level from using Harmony Navigator LE, but I think I'm going to pick up this RapidComposer as well to at least check it out.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #75
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Rectilinear Filigree

KordBot - Midi Chord Controller

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/005...o=format&q=92&

Advertisements

------------------