1970's Experimental Electronic Music
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 26-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
Zap Rowsdower
Soundwave Mangler
Zap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MC
MC Status: 61695
1970's Experimental Electronic Music

I became in love with these types of electronic music after listening to a few songs.

What do you guys think?

Advertisements

Zap Rowsdower is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
audiosyncrasy
Regular Freak
audiosyncrasy is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: 1970's Experimental Electronic Music

David Bowie's Low was what got me into electronic music. Him and Brian Eno collaborated on some really great ambient pieces on that album. Another favorite is no pussyfooting.
audiosyncrasy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
astroidmist
Banned
astroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MC
3 floors above you
MC Status: 13248268

Kraftwerk seem so much ahead of their own time. I'm still amazed at the types of sounds they got way back then. Some of the modern remixes they did of their own stuff was pretty good too.
astroidmist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Paggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MC
Zhengzhou, China
MC Status: 3541243

I think I've been getting a lot of influence from this kind of material lately haha.

------------------
Paggos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
bandcoach
Banned
bandcoach is a savage MCbandcoach is a savage MCbandcoach is a savage MCbandcoach is a savage MCbandcoach is a savage MCbandcoach is a savage MCbandcoach is a savage MCbandcoach is a savage MCbandcoach is a savage MCbandcoach is a savage MCbandcoach is a savage MC
Sydney
MC Status: 39022286

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosyncrasy View Post
Another favorite is no pussyfooting.
Which of course brings in Robert Fripp and his so-called Frippertronics setup - two revox A77's on a long board that allowed them to be varied in distance. A tape was the run between the two machines, feed reel on A77-1, take-up reel on A77-2; or a tape loop was then fitted for that distance and recorded onto during performance.

A77-1 recorded his guitar. The bias erase head was disabled sometimes. Plus a split from the playback of A77-2. Massive delays and overlays.

A77-2 played back the sounds of the recording. The split was controlled via a foot volume pedal so that the split could be cut and a new layering created.

Eno's Ambient 1 was a favourite from this time.

Also Tangerine Dream - Phaedra

Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Center of the Earth; not so much experimental but very well crafted and amazing synth sounds for the time.
bandcoach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Zap Rowsdower
Soundwave Mangler
Zap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MCZap Rowsdower is a savage MC
MC Status: 61695

lol I was able to do Krafwerk's The Man Machines album for my rrock and roll class.
Zap Rowsdower is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Ummagumma
Soundscaper
Ummagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MCUmmagumma is a savage MC
N.Y.
MC Status: 40923

ah yes! I love that stuff too.

Although I haven't found much Kraftwerk that I like, it sounds a little too techy for me.

------------------

Ummagumma is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
Chasepw133
Granular Poster
Chasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MC
MC Status: 35081

I'm not 100% sure when these guys started up but they make some insanely good krautrock electronic type stuff with a similar feel to all of that 70's stuff

Boredoms - ○ (yes that is the song title)

">

------------------
Chasepw133 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
Chasepw133
Granular Poster
Chasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MCChasepw133 is a savage MC
MC Status: 35081

I'm not 100% sure when these guys started up but they make some insanely good krautrock electronic type stuff with a similar feel to all of that 70's stuff

Boredoms - ○ (yes that is the song title)

------------------
Chasepw133 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
trench
Master of the LFO
trench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MCtrench is a savage MC
west midlands
MC Status: 1105309

Klaus dinger and michael Rother were leading lights in the 70's forming NEU, They used mainly conventional instruments,but in an unconventional way.
After they split dinger went on to form La dusseldorf who imho produced one of the greatest albums o the 70's

------------------
IF THERE IS NO GOD.....................THEN WHY ARE WE WHISPERING ?

https://soundcloud.com/trench-2/if-t...-we-whispering i am the senior citize:problemofficer:n of sound
trench is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:59 AM   #11
radiowaves
Savage Mad Cunt
radiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MC
MC Status: 24505865

I LOVE Laurie Spiegel. But how many of you know Terry Riley?

Some more names:

Luc Ferrari, Alvin Lucier, Raimond Scott (inventor of many weird electronical instruments, dates back to 30's, so not really 70's), russian composer Edward Artmejev who did the music for Solyaris, Zerkalo and Stalker, all of which are amazing, most of that perfomed on a wery rare one of a kind early electronical instrument whic red music from glass plates.

Kraftwerks earlier stuff is worth checking out. They were non-electronic band once, NEU, then they evolved into spacey krautrock and then the electronic age came:

AMAZING!

But if someone is into Krautrock, here are some names:

Ash Ra Tempel
The Cosmic Jokers

Both projects of the beloved Klaus Schultze.

Last edited by radiowaves; 03-03-2011 at 03:16 AM..

------------------
radiowaves is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #12
Stay'n Alive
Stay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MC
I'm in my happy place...
MC Status: 30505651

Damn, that Laurie Spigel composes some prime pot-smoking music... Just like Riley haha...

Telex are funny. I don't like synthpop, even in the experimental state, with exceptions for, well, the gods themselves Kraftwerk as well as Gary Numan.

That's funny. I discovered Justice and Boys Noize playing GTA4.

But I also found out about Philipp Glass, Terry Riley and Gary Numan playing either GTA4 or Vice City... Damn the music in San Andreas sucked...

Anyways, sorry for getting outta topic!

Edit: Yeah it's 80's, but it's awesome!

This is way awesome.

And, is that just rocks, altough it's almost totally outta topic... It's repetitive loops, it's minimalistic, it's good, whatever, I embed.

------------------
"Merry Christmas, or your localized Christmas equivalent"

- Penny Arcade's Tycho
Stay'n Alive is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #13
Stay'n Alive
Stay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MC
I'm in my happy place...
MC Status: 30505651

Oh yeah, look out that Glass tune. Now that it played in Watchmen, it's gonna be the next Lux Aeterna.

Ya know, that tune that everybody calls Requiem for a Dream and that just spells E.P.I.C. in every of it's note?

------------------
"Merry Christmas, or your localized Christmas equivalent"

- Penny Arcade's Tycho
Stay'n Alive is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 02:20 AM   #14
Spax88
Soundscaper
Spax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MCSpax88 is a savage MC
MC Status: 6802622

I just got into Yellow Magic Orchestra, they've got some lovely early electro sounds and their Japanese background shines through so clearly in their melodies. It reminds me of king fu games on the NES.

------------------
Spax88 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
Quandry
Granular Poster
Quandry is a savage MCQuandry is a savage MCQuandry is a savage MCQuandry is a savage MCQuandry is a savage MCQuandry is a savage MCQuandry is a savage MCQuandry is a savage MCQuandry is a savage MCQuandry is a savage MCQuandry is a savage MC
MC Status: 187594

How experimental are we talkin' about?

I'm thinkin' about experimentin' to some of these riddims, maaaaaanngg. . .

And that might be gay, but that's okay, 'cuz in the seventies it's coool, manngg. . .

Pretty sure this Lonny Liston came on Vice City, but I reckon it's experimental enough.

I reckon the Dexter Wansel tune was from his first few LP's, but eventually he became extremely mainstream (which was fine, he never really lost his touch). Without these guys, our music would be way too. . .uh. . .How can I put this effectively. . .Anglo.

Major props to some of the videos down there, though!

------------------
GOD DAMNIT SOUNDCLOUD!

Quandry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #16
mwvm
Regular Freak
mwvm is currently spamming hard

krautrock bands like can, neu, cluster and harmonia - my favs.
mwvm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
jokerswild
Minor Glitch
jokerswild is currently spamming hard

A big Krautrock fan myself......slightly different but still interesting were Os Mutantes. Do a Google search!!!!!!!!!!
jokerswild is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #18
p_s_f
Soundwave Mangler
p_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MC
MC Status: 1315326

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerswild View Post
A big Krautrock fan myself......slightly different but still interesting were Os Mutantes. Do a Google search!!!!!!!!!!
I saw Os Mutantes live in like 2006, it was amazing.
p_s_f is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #19
jokerswild
Minor Glitch
jokerswild is currently spamming hard

I heard OS Mutantes had reformed................Bet that was cool as hell!!!!
jokerswild is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #20
p_s_f
Soundwave Mangler
p_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MC
MC Status: 1315326

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerswild View Post
I heard OS Mutantes had reformed................Bet that was cool as hell!!!!
It was weird and awesome at the same time. I'd probably appreciate it more now.

Advertisements

p_s_f is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote