New rig migration thoughts please read inside :)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:32 PM   #1
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1834877
New rig migration thoughts please read inside :)

Hi guys the good news
Rigs blown (see other thread to avoid confusion) not trying to hog posts here.
Good news ordered some new components to fit in with the existing rig.
Boring Part
Existing parts that I am using:
Fractal Design R4 Case
Samsung SSD850Pro 500 MB O/S Programs/Some DATA ie omnisphere.
Barracuda 2TB Drive for NI Komplete and other music data
120GB OCZ SSD for audio recording (use this for temporary files on live projects then move to external back up drives once done).
2 other data drives for music, video and random day to day stuff
The exciting part:
New components (purchased and committed, coming tomorrow)
Asus Prime X299a Mobo
I7 7820x CPU 3.6-4.3ghz not sure but its preconfigured
!beQuiet Dark Rock 3 cooler
16gb Corsair RAM 3000mhz (although likely clocked to 2666mhz for CPU o/c courtesy of scan.co.uk)
1050TI 4GB Windforce GPU
Lanys TI Firewire PCiE card
Seasonic 750W Gold PSU

Question any tips on how to install this into the existing case (all previous components (HD aside) removed.
Things to watch out for? Or is it simple drop in, screw, connect, power on and hope for the best.
Now I am wondering if anone has any experience on this

I use Macrium Reflect Pro for system back up. It has a feature where it can clone the existing install to a new/existing drive and different hardware. I appreaiate that there will be serial number issues etc with some software including windows. However has anyone tried this? OR IS IT the same old story fresh install and spend 3 days installing all software and configuring?

Wish me luck and appreciate any positive words.

Bummer note – cant afford to replace my NI Maschine which I sold only last week grrr....MK2 will have to wait. Elektorn Analog keys is going on gumtree soon...

http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=148309 other ref post

Last edited by MFXxx; 12-10-2017 at 11:57 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 12:08 AM   #2
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 18760
Re: New rig migration thoughts please read inside :)

sounds good apart from the windforce gpu go asus man also get nzxt fans and corsair ram (for all the rgb goodness i did on my big build corsair rgb ram asus strix oc 1080tis in sli 128 gigs ram and 12 tb of storage and a 2 gig m.2 ssd i9 7900x ).
Also just bult my brother a kick ass rig to
asus strix mobo
seagate 4tb sshd hard drives in raid
2 tb samsung m.2 drive
corsair platinum rgb ram 32 gig capacity
core i7 8700k (cloked at 5ghz under corsair liquidcooling)
overclocked asus strix 1080ti
corsair rgb case
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
MFXxx (14-10-2017)
Old 13-10-2017, 12:12 AM   #3
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world

Appreciate the gpu isn't ideal. More budget. Thinking of sending back and using the existing evgs 660 super o/c as still got 4 years left on the warranty.
Wanted a 1080 but way too much for an unexpected purchase and need to get a Mascine mk3 soon.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

------------------
Old 13-10-2017, 12:15 AM   #4
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 18760

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Appreciate the gpu isn't ideal. More budget. Thinking of sending back and using the existing evgs 660 super o/c as still got 4 years left on the warranty.
Wanted a 1080 but way too much for an unexpected purchase and need to get a Mascine mk3 soon.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
youknow wioth music more ram is needed than raw cpu power plus im useing my rig not just for gameing or musioc makeing hence the 12 tb of storage etc for video editing and web desighn also.
Plus im going to nbe useing my brothers pc as a backup rig to. Plus hey in a few weeks nvidia are releasing a 1070ti so you could exchange both the 660 and the 1060 and get that so you get 1080- performance for less.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 01:09 AM   #5
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 31460

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Question any tips on how to install this into the existing case (all previous components (HD aside) removed.
Things to watch out for? Or is it simple drop in, screw, connect, power on and hope for the best.
Yeah, pretty much. Make sure the standoffs that you screw the board onto match your new board. Leaving unused ones in there can cause the board to ground to the case and either fault or spark, neither of which are good. I like to install cpu + fan before putting the board in if possible, just so as not to have to fiddle in the case (I like small cases and have big hands). I like some good thermal paste instead of the big sticky pads, but whatever's clever. The R4 has a lot of cable routing, so I'd take the time to use it. No reason to have a rats nest.

Quote:
I use Macrium Reflect Pro for system back up. It has a feature where it can clone the existing install to a new/existing drive and different hardware. I appreaiate that there will be serial number issues etc with some software including windows. However has anyone tried this? OR IS IT the same old story fresh install and spend 3 days installing all software and configuring?
Never used that software, but there's no reason it can't work. I've used Clonezilla many times without issue, so it's certainly possible. Might as well try it - worst case is it fails utterly and you format and start over. Worse you're out is some time, but you might save a lot.

Quote:
Wish me luck and appreciate any positive words.
It's just Lego blocks - tab A into slot B. You got this, man.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
MFXxx (14-10-2017)
Old 14-10-2017, 08:05 AM   #6
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Thanks Artificer. Well it all turned up yesterday, Scan.co.uk are spot on delivery wise although I thought I ordereda 1060 and received/paid for a 1050ti.NVM more ram and not really fussed about this tbh.
Cleaned up all case and dust! Cobwebs,,,,hmmm!!!
Popped everythig in, thanks for the check on the spacers, onlyone to move and was missing the rubber rings around them from the original build.
Nice cable management in place.
Got to say, took a while to make sure everything was tiday and correct but I am proud to say " FIRST TIME BOOT UP".

What has surprised me is first time boot up, loaded all the drivers for the missing hardware and motherboard. Uninstalled all the old evga motherboard and expansion board drivers.
The old install "appears" to be running fine.
Will connect to the web in a bit to see how that goes and then test the daw. I am surprised, but I guess there's ot a lot of difference between theold and new hardware as only the mobo/cpu and ram effectively changed. GPU nvidia to nvidia and of course new psu (no detriment to OS of course).

Only two grips ad 1 mishap:
1. Appears one pin on the front panel I/O was slightly bent! But nt used.
2. The Scans OC bios settings didnt boot and whilst saved it only recalls at stock instead of the o/c. Will contact them later, hoping they have a backup their end!
Addum: Contacted them and they walked through the bios, whilst windows reports the stock the target clock speed in the bios for cpu and ram is higher andwhat is is running at,who knew#?!
3. Crossthreaded one of the screws holding the mobo down (left it in place no point in making it worse).

Looking forward to testing the DAW and plugins on this, praying it all works.

Thanks for you words hear and in the older thread Artificer, much appreciated.
@joem -your rig sounds amazing and , maybe 10+ years ago I might have been into all the RGBs and higher specs. :0) may get a .m2 drive at some point, Mrs needs a laptop first though...so thats a priority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Yeah, pretty much. Make sure the standoffs that you screw the board onto match your new board. Leaving unused ones in there can cause the board to ground to the case and either fault or spark, neither of which are good. I like to install cpu + fan before putting the board in if possible, just so as not to have to fiddle in the case (I like small cases and have big hands). I like some good thermal paste instead of the big sticky pads, but whatever's clever. The R4 has a lot of cable routing, so I'd take the time to use it. No reason to have a rats nest.

Never used that software, but there's no reason it can't work. I've used Clonezilla many times without issue, so it's certainly possible. Might as well try it - worst case is it fails utterly and you format and start over. Worse you're out is some time, but you might save a lot.

It's just Lego blocks - tab A into slot B. You got this, man.

Last edited by MFXxx; 14-10-2017 at 12:51 PM..

Advertisements

------------------