[Techno/Drone] Doombrain - T1
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 07-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #1
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker
DoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710
[Techno/Drone] Doombrain - T1

Here's a track I have been working on with the Electribe 2 and mixed with Ableton Live Lite, T1 (Tribe 1).

Of sorts this is more of a test piece for getting to grips with what I have to work with, that said I think it could have been mastered a little better within Ableton, but an effort was made to try and bring forward some of the sounds (kick, bass, hats) which were all on one track.

Within another thread I mentioned syncing the tribe with the Audiobox, although I managed to do this without midi or usb sync.

It's a ruff sounding track I understand.

Last edited by A.M; 10-10-2017 at 02:49 PM..

Advertisements

DoomBrain is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Techno/Drone] Doombrain - T1.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
SoloSaga
Sample Destroyer
SoloSaga will become famous soon enough
Ohio
MC Status: 60
Re: [Techno/Drone] Doombrain - T1

I feel like that droning sound that comes into play around 1:04 could be less up front and maybe have a slight side chain effect applied to it from the kick. I like what you've done with the percussion, always keeps my interest and the velocity changes on the hats sound good, and I really started to warm up to the lack of high end in the clap/snare towards the high point of the track. I'd be interested to see where this ends up.

------------------
SoloSaga is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker
DoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSaga View Post
I feel like that droning sound that comes into play around 1:04 could be less up front and maybe have a slight side chain effect applied to it from the kick. I like what you've done with the percussion, always keeps my interest and the velocity changes on the hats sound good, and I really started to warm up to the lack of high end in the clap/snare towards the high point of the track. I'd be interested to see where this ends up.
Cheers mate, Ill try and see if I can do this, that sound has it's own channel so one would this this shouldn't be an issue for what you said.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
Dr. Sleaze
Analog Lurker
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 2510

Put the pumper on the insert fx for that part to make it sound like it's being sidechained, but listen out for envelope click.
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker

Remixed again, this time added thumper bass, side chained drone sound and another instrument channel. Also added extra stereo mix and upped some levels.

It has a lot more bass and feels more meaty although when exporting, the file doesn't seem like for like from within the DAW for some reason, still, a fresh take on it.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Old 08-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8532980
Thanked 6,841 Times in 4,870 Posts

I think its a damn good start. Could just be my playback system, but feels a little lacking on the lowend. This is more a stylistic preference maybe, but there seems to be this dullness to a lot of the mix. Which surprises me as the E2’s King Korg sound engine usually as this bright, modern digital sheen that is almost hard to git rid of. Later on those hats come in and briten things up a bit, which was a welcome change up for me. I get the long, slow evolving timbres of techno, but I think I need some change ups here and there. This doesn’t need a tradtional lead instrument, but I do think it lacks an element that everything else kind of orbits around.

I love that drone though. I could see that having a prominant place in the mix and doing a lot of timbral changes to it along the way.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #7
PeteVai
Granular Poster
PeteVai has a spectacular aura aboutPeteVai has a spectacular aura about
Lisbon
MC Status: 160

Hello!

I like the start. That snare that comes in early at first I didn't really like it, but when the rest of the sound progresses it makes sense and blends in really well.
I also like that second pattern of hats that appears along the way, gives a nice vibe to the beat.

I would probably suggest some more variations to the main lead and also some reverb to it.
The rest of the mixing is good for me
PeteVai is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #8
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I think its a damn good start. Could just be my playback system, but feels a little lacking on the lowend. This is more a stylistic preference maybe, but there seems to be this dullness to a lot of the mix. Which surprises me as the E2’s King Korg sound engine usually as this bright, modern digital sheen that is almost hard to git rid of. Later on those hats come in and briten things up a bit, which was a welcome change up for me. I get the long, slow evolving timbres of techno, but I think I need some change ups here and there. This doesn’t need a tradtional lead instrument, but I do think it lacks an element that everything else kind of orbits around.

I love that drone though. I could see that having a prominant place in the mix and doing a lot of timbral changes to it along the way.
Appreciate the feedback and I am glad there is some elements on track that people understand.

I understand the dullness, the first channels has around 6 parts from the E2, so maybe a mistake, as singling out the sounds has been harder. I also may have over done it with the Audio effects - reverb, EQ, basically went to town with filters.

More mastering and eq experience/knowledge is needed, some people's tracks on here sound a lot more mixed out to a higher standard, would be an achievement to get to an acceptable level.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8532980
Thanked 6,841 Times in 4,870 Posts

Are you exporting loops or recording the summed tracks live? It might be my ears. I DJd last night so maybe my hearing is fucked lol.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #10
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Are you exporting loops or recording the summed tracks live? It might be my ears. I DJd last night so maybe my hearing is fucked lol.
Recorded live through each channel via the interface, could have exported but limited on channels with the version of Ableton running currently.

I can relate to the hearing, I have tinnitus at the moment, which is driving me crazy.

Advertisements