remove bass from a track
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
LDKitz
Granular Poster
LDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810
remove bass from a track

Whassup peeps , lately i've been experimenting different ways and techniques to remove the bass and the kick from a song so that i can add my own drums and bass ( i make hip hop beats).
But ofc after u remove the bass , whats left will sound lifeless and empty... anyway here is my question.

What are the techniques or effects i should apply to keep the track full and organic without the bass?

Peace.

Advertisements

LDKitz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
Harko City
Minor Glitch
Harko City is just really niceHarko City is just really niceHarko City is just really niceHarko City is just really nice
Indiana
MC Status: 360
Re: remove bass from a track

there's alot of factors to consider and i haven't heard the track, don't know what is available to you or what you are wanting to do specifically to the track. the bass line and drums can not be just removed without drastically affecting the track because those instruments are going to be present throughout the frequency spectrum. if you have access to the things you want to remove solo'd you can reverse the phase, but i'm assuming you do not because you would probably have access to all the individual sounds. if you are wanting to follow the bass and drum sounds, just wanting to alter them, then you can eq it to lessen their presence and layer the sounds you want on top of them. I don't believe any of this is helpful to you, but it is some things you can consider.
Harko City is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #3
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4010

spectral editing, then add your own bass. the thing is, the bass and the kick contain much of the groove, and the rest of the track builds around it; no wonder it's not easy to replace them and keep the life. it doesn't rock and sway the way it did.

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to eesn
Vault O))) (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 105800
Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,367 Posts

Dynamic EQ? Instead of just EQing off everything below 200 or whatever across the whole song, specifically EQ things out. Can do it manually, or do a sidechain EQ thing - got options here.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51260
Thanked 1,025 Times in 759 Posts

Yo, bro! Not content with sampling a riff or lick? Old school, y'know what I'm sayin'?

Over & out.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:10 PM   #6
Vault O)))
Cumplete Retard
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 37410

Don't forget about good old EQ. If you're cutting shit up for beats, you might not really need to go much deeper.

------------------
Totally not clickbait this time, I swear
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:23 AM   #7
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 20110

I'd just start with Eq and layering my parts in louder without expecting to get very good results doing this kind of thing.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
LDKitz
Granular Poster
LDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Thx y'all for the responses
Yes , the first thing i use is the eq to get rid of the bass and unwanted frequencies , then i do apply a lil bit of saturation and reverb to make the sample sound richer or whatever and thats it..
Some people told me to filter the samples but that way u get a totally different sound..
Spectral editing , i heard of it but .. well i dont know what that is

Peace.
LDKitz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #9
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 18660

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

started to use this epic vst to remove and edit samples then add eq etc after

Last edited by joem; 04-09-2017 at 08:13 AM..

Advertisements

joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote