SubPac Realizations; Is there a "sweet-spot" frequency?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 18-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
Dhji
Knob Twiddler
Dhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MC
Victoria, BC
MC Status: 66646
SubPac Realizations; Is there a "sweet-spot" frequency?

So now that I can feel sub frequencies through my SubPac, I am now realizing what I have been missing in my sonic perception. It's as if sub frequencies and the rest of the frequencies are two separate bodies that have different movements going on that work together. Over the months that I have had it I realize that many producers as well as bands don't have this perception whereas more modern producers take advantage of understanding the differentiation to push the boundaries of music.

I understand that the best way to get the best sound is to make it sound good on multiple systems so, having said that, is there a certain frequency that is best? Is this a secret? Some songs I hear have such an amazing low end, so amazing that I wonder if there is a very certain frequency range they are staying in.

What are your experiences on discovering sub frequencies? Do you think having sub frequencies on my back instead of my head (I only mix on headphones - monitors are out of question) is good or dangerous since when they are on my head, they are all in one place? Or maybe it's better?

One thing I am finding when I am sound designing is that I find I start to want to get 'that feeling' of sub frequencies. Do you think it's best to do sound design with lower frequencies cut off or not?

What are your thoughts around the subject?

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I don't know either man. I kinda feel like things are heading towards talking about our feels...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
So, this is the time to confess my unrequited love for Dhji?
Dhji is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389798
Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,762 Posts
Re: SubPac Realizations; Is there a "sweet-spot" frequency?

No, there is no "best" frequency. All sounds have their own sweetspots, due to timbre, harmonics/overtones, resonances, pitch envelope of a sound, proximity, etc.

Subs are generally 20-90Hz and they are omni-directional to the human ear. We have internal organs which resonates at lower frequencies, hence we "feel bass in the chest/stomach". Due to the power difference of highs vs. lows (as well as different resonances in/on our bodies) we need alot more SPL loudness to "feel" bass and sub bass (see Fletcher-Munson curve, or better yet the Robinson-Dadson curve).

Most basses and sub basses in today's music are very clear. There isn't alot of masking and overlapping in the low-end. A bass has plenty of room down there. This is usually why the bass seems so clean/controlled/loud/whatever.

When sound designing you can filter out the lows in most layers, to make room for a dedicated bass to take up the bass-seat.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
Vault O))) (19-08-2017)
Old 18-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 105800
Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,367 Posts
Re: SubPac Realizations; Is there a "sweet-spot" frequency?

Keep in mind during your composition that your sub PAC allows you to monitor to a lower frequency than many people can play back. Even if you are creating sub bass focused music, remember that many subwoofers are not playing well below 35 hz.

Advertisements

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote