How to search resource ?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 31-07-2017, 09:14 PM   #1
qantuum
Minor Glitch
qantuum has a spectacular aura aboutqantuum has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160
How to search resource ?

Hi,

As I stated in my introductory post, I am a total beginner in the field of music production and did not even take music theory classes.

This means that, before learning how to create super cool instruments and add awesome SFX, I need to learn how to structure a piece of melody or of beat, as well as how to analyze musics.

My main motivation for learning music production on DAW, is to reproduce my favourite songs...
Then I can learn how a specific style is structured, produce a voiceless version for singing karaoke, or practice the gender-bending of a song (for example metal to house, pop song to chiptune, and whatnot).

High goals and high ambition.... And it's a pain to see how much of a noob I am... I arrived at the point where I'd love to skip the learning part haha... But yeah let's be serious.

So let's say I want to copy the guts of my song.
First I try to find a provided instrument sample that sounds a bit the same (40 or 50% match is acceptable);
Then I begin to place the notes; which is not so hard because I can recognize by ear if a note height is right or wrong (chords not included though)
Then I struggle (a lot) with note lengh, until the melody sounds right;
then I wonder about the tempo, is it the right tempo I have ? And is it a 4/4 or a 3/2 that I should use ?
Then I begin to play with beat... In the end it works but it's a complete nightmare, I am only able to reproduce by massive listening but I feel like my sense of rythm is close to zero.

So my questions are, what were your main resources on these specific concerns ? I'd love to find a class or a book to train my pratice of beats, because I am going nowhere by myself, it seems. Also if you know of a tutorial where I can find the basic beat and tempo structures for every style (eg : salsa, hip-hop, reggae)?

I know I should do a bit of research on the forum myself as well, but from now all I was able to find in the tutorial section was a lot of things about how to generate effet X or Y in a given DAW or VST.

Also I am not interested at all in what's called EDM, and this makes me reject a lot of videos tutorials, because they all want me to be the next David Guetta..

Thanks !

The songs/artists I may want to cover/edit when I can :

Soul Blazer OST - Southerta
Seiken Densetsu 3 OST - Electric Talk
Fairyland - Guardian Stones
Ahex Twin - Polynomial C
Nujabes
Boards of Canada
Stupeflip
Beirut

Last edited by qantuum; 31-07-2017 at 09:19 PM..

Advertisements

qantuum is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8542180
Thanked 7,025 Times in 4,990 Posts
Re: How to search resource ?

Music Theory for Computer Musicians is a good book. It assumes you are making music in a DAW. I would highly recommend learning about chords/harmony first though. That helped me a lot as an adult who had no previous music knowledge. Yoh might also be able to find midi files for well k nown pop songs if you search on google.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Vault O))) (16-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4560

What relic said.

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qantuum View Post
Also I am not interested at all in what's called EDM, and this makes me reject a lot of videos tutorials, because they all want me to be the next David Guetta..
If you ask me, apart from DAW-specific tutorials and masterclass videos, I'd say ignore the stuff related to electronic music for a moment. Instead, go find some good drumming or piano tutorial series. They are often well constructed, basically in the same manner as irl music courses.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
qantuum
Minor Glitch

Thanks a lot sirs.

I never opened a Midi file in a DAW. So basically it appears with the notes made ?

Seems nice.

I am trying this with all my favourite video games music in the VGmusic website when I get home.

But even with these midi making things easy, I hope I will be able to actually learn, and not blatantly copy the talent of someone else. I could just try different instrument on the tracks and think "I made this"... Haha, It's a challenge.

I will get my hands on the book as soon as I can.
I heard I need to learn my keys and my chord indeed. This I plan to do once I got a piano. Midi keyboard with two sets of keys should do the job.

Yes ok I will search piano and drum tutorial only. A good drum line crafting for beginners is the best !

Also do you know where I can find some sort of Midi drumset, just like the cheap-cheap Midi keyboard I was talking about ? I have seen some pad sqares where I can associate patterns... May be interesting for me. This pad square I have seen in Madeon's video "pop culture".

Thanks for the support !
Old 16-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 42210

Quote:
Originally Posted by qantuum View Post

Also do you know where I can find some sort of Midi drumset, just like the cheap-cheap Midi keyboard I was talking about ? I have seen some pad sqares where I can associate patterns... May be interesting for me. This pad square I have seen in Madeon's video "pop culture".

Thanks for the support !
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Just two examples. Some stuff (like the launchpad) gives you a lite copy of Live, which is like having a free stripped-down DAW that rocks to get your feet wet.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
qantuum (16-08-2017)
Old 16-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
qantuum
Minor Glitch

Thanks for the references

Viewing the price, I may opt for an all-in-one solution instead.

Can't wait to put my hands on these little babies :>

Last edited by qantuum; 16-08-2017 at 12:40 PM..

Advertisements