The Fine Line Between Dry and Busy Sounding.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 17-02-2017, 01:40 AM   #1
Bluesh1ft
Knob Twiddler
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2160
The Fine Line Between Dry and Busy Sounding.

I find it hard to create a busy enough background without being too busy or the sound not complimenting the song. Sometimes I feel I need a pad, then try to whip one up and then feel it just doesn't go with the song or that it makes it too muddy. Then there is the more sound scape physics model.... absynth type of stuff with all the textures which is hard to create. Maybe I should try white noise more? Any advice?

Advertisements

Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 08:05 AM   #2
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 20160
Re: The Fine Line Between Dry and Busy Sounding.

When it comes to pads, I EQ and duck (sidechain) the hell out of them, and drench them in reverb and a nice thick phaser. In my stuff, the pad is pretty much non-existent when there's a lead, bass, drums, and maybe a rhythmic stab playing, but you can just hear it if you listen for it. When it really shines is during the breakdowns, as it carries the chord progression without any other instruments. I often write my songs as basic chord progressions on a pad before adding other instruments, so for me it's more an issue of making everything else fit the pad.

A note on sidechain, I have the kick do straight volume modulation of the pad, but most other instruments do frequency-dependent volume modulation using multi-band compression, other wise there would just be no pad during the full sections of the song.

The other way I know of to fill out a dry mix is to dial in some delays on a few instruments, maybe a layer or two of reverb (usually on an instrument by instrument basis) to thicken up the midrange. With delays, set it by ear, with reverb (on my setup, which is headphones), I set it by starting at the bottom and coming up until I can just hear it for the first layer, then taking it back. Turn it off and on to confirm it's doing something, then you can add a big fat hall or a plate if you want.

I set saturation/distortion on many instruments throughout a mix much the same way, and keep that part towards the beginning of my FX chain so that I can still EQ out any rumble the distortion might add or accentuate if it were after the filter.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 04:24 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8532980
Thanked 6,841 Times in 4,870 Posts

I think WhiteNoise covered things pretty well...but to ah...hehe...speak on white noise...

...Yea, I use U-he Stain usually on my 2bus, the drum bus, and maybe a few other places...like four instances per tune for saturation (sometimes an extra one for delay)...most of the settings I like involve some tape noise and it does seem to fill things out/make things sound a little more organic.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Bluesh1ft (20-02-2017)
Old 18-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #4
Mycelial Cords
Regular Freak
Mycelial Cords is just really niceMycelial Cords is just really niceMycelial Cords is just really niceMycelial Cords is just really nice
Warsaw
MC Status: 360

It depends on the aesthetic you're going for. Sometimes the missing element can be brought with some randomization on percussive hits, slight tuning changes, envelope changes, nothing too audible, but can lead to fuller more organic playing. Also, noise of all sorts - synthesized and recorded goes a long way, but it was mentioned.
Mycelial Cords is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
Daggit
Soundscaper
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
Däggit pronounced DAWG-EET
MC Status: 6660

I think the main key is to keep layers not too loud and to fade them in and out as needed. DO NOT KEEP THEM CONSTANT. Keeping too much stuff constant makes them both annoying and boring. Good luck.
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Daggit
Bluesh1ft (31-07-2017)
Old 18-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #6
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesh1ft View Post
I find it hard to create a busy enough background without being too busy or the sound not complimenting the song. Sometimes I feel I need a pad, then try to whip one up and then feel it just doesn't go with the song or that it makes it too muddy. Then there is the more sound scape physics model.... absynth type of stuff with all the textures which is hard to create. Maybe I should try white noise more? Any advice?
If it HAS TO BE a pad, then can't really give any advice (because I suck with pads).

But... does it have to be a pad? I mean whenever I'm in that same situation, I go for the percussion first. If that doesn't work, I go for synths. Things like chord stabs, synth fills etc.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to -Agu-
Bluesh1ft (31-07-2017)
Old 18-07-2017, 10:42 PM   #7
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024319

maybe you are mixing them in too loud? try heavily reducing the level of them during the main parts of the track, so you have room for the key elements, then pushing them forward more during the less busy parts.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Parricide
Bluesh1ft (31-07-2017)
Old 19-07-2017, 04:58 AM   #8
Cusing Regent
Regular Freak
Cusing Regent will become famous soon enough
San Francisco
MC Status: 60

Good information in this thread.
Cusing Regent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 12:39 AM   #9
Deadly Rhythm
Analog Lurker
Deadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond repute
Norfolk
MC Status: 2010

I record the room with me moving around in it. Any loud taps or noises I make I then edit into place for timing and depth to a kick or snare etc.
Deadly Rhythm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Deadly Rhythm
Daggit (05-08-2017)
Old 27-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #10
LDKitz
Granular Poster
LDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Thats why i always record drums , bass and 1 more instrument only... just kidding anyway i think the key is Volume and Frequencies...For me the most important thing is setting the volume of each element correctly , dont keep the instruments at the same volume ofc , and dont make the instruments "fight" for the same freq.
I dont know what else to say..

Peace.
LDKitz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to LDKitz
Bluesh1ft (31-07-2017)
Old 31-07-2017, 03:19 AM   #11
Bluesh1ft
Knob Twiddler
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2160

Update: I have tried cleaning up my fx line by putting more sends to a dedicated fx instead of creating an effect for every track. That seems to help. I think its worth mentioning that having multiple effect instances could create phasing issues, and thus a more muddy sound. I also pulled fx down from some of my synths. If you start with a preset synth sound, you might want to check to see if you really need all the fx that came on the preset. Lowering those has helped a bit.

One thing that I also did was tightened the attack and release of some plucks so its easier to hear things when those plucks are playing. Sometimes a sacrifice is a gain in overall quality. There is only so much room on the frequency spectrum, and speakers are only so good to reproduce frequencies.

I still feel like I am missing the sonic ability to cut through speakers like butter, The sounds that sound like nothing that is heard was by accident.

I still gotta try some more dynamic volume/eq, ducking, frequency compression, etc. among other things mentioned.

I guess there is two sides to this arrangement and mixing. I have deficits in both XD

Thanks For All the Great Responses!

Last edited by Bluesh1ft; 02-08-2017 at 09:39 AM..
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:57 PM   #12
destinationsoun
Minor Glitch
destinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to behold

I use noise as a background pad, feeding to a really long reverb. This then can pump with the sidechain or not.

Another technique is using delays on the other instruments with some slightly off time delay, quiet in the background. This makes things move a bit without adding another instrument.

------------------
destinationsoun is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:08 AM   #13
beautifulhurl
Regular Freak
beautifulhurl is a jewel in the roughbeautifulhurl is a jewel in the roughbeautifulhurl is a jewel in the rough
Baltimore
MC Status: 260

i've noticed that reverb can really be useful as a tool to help create separation between the foreground and background. even just some white noise running through reverb at a low volume can be interesting with modulation and some fine tuning.
beautifulhurl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:33 AM   #14
Daggit
Soundscaper
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
Däggit pronounced DAWG-EET
MC Status: 6660

One nice trick is to print reverb onto some drum one shot samples, but keep a whole lot of others dry. And then when you program your sampler, mix them up together. Then, when the rhythm plays, it will sound like automated reverb, when really it isn't.

Shifting back and forth between wet and dry really adds depth.

------------------
Hear my tunes at https://hearthis.at/daggit-gr/
Using: M-Audio KeyStation 49es, Alesis M1Active 320 USB, HP EliteBook, Xubuntu Linux w/WINE, Reaper, FL Studio, lots of freeware VST instruments and effects.
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #15
LDKitz
Granular Poster
LDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to behold

wrong thread.. fk.

Sorry

Last edited by LDKitz; 05-08-2017 at 10:09 AM..

Advertisements

LDKitz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote