if you release music do you have to use your real name?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 20-12-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
vancutan
Learning The Ropes
vancutan is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
if you release music do you have to use your real name?

wow thanks allot to both of you! If anyone else has info on this I am very curious. I feel that in a way this is a new era where there is less of a focus on the personality and image and more on the music (at least in the world f the experimental stuff), so I really see no reason why more artists should not be as anonymous as they choose. Im thinking about burial and boards of canada here where they make some of the best music ever and yet they can probably live lives and walk around their local area and be just random dudes.

Advertisements

vancutan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 31410
Re: if you release music do you have to use your real name?

Jandek.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 12:08 PM   #3
Vault O)))
Cumplete Retard
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 37710

Using an alias isn't the same thing as being anonymous, but sure.

------------------
Totally not clickbait this time, I swear
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
DOOMER
Learning The Ropes
DOOMER will become famous soon enough
at home
MC Status: 60

Not necessarily. It would depend on the type of release really i.e. commercial or free, digital or physical. If you want to earn money from your work, you could sell on bandcamp or similar service providers, who let you stay completely anonymous besides an E-Mail for signing up. If you want to perform for an audience, the host will probably want to know your name and some form of contact info.
If you want royalties (your track played publicly on radio stations, TV, etc.) you will want to hook up with a PRO (Public Performance Organization), the biggest for the US are ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. If you live in another country, here in Germany we have the GEMA and the GVL, who basically collect money from airplay for you. Releasing physical albums, admitting your real name to the record label is mandatory, it doesn't have to appear on the release (booklet etc.) though.
You do have the option to found a company, which can act as your strawman, thus concealing your true identity, which is common practice in the music industry.
So, long story short, you can be pretty anonymous for the public, but as soon as money starts to flow, organizations will need to know your real name for tax purposes.

:badger:
DOOMER is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941881
Thanked 5,674 Times in 3,576 Posts

If it works for the project, do it. Music first, image second imo.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,439 Times in 1,899 Posts

that's what they want you to believe. better for you to adhere to it... because you really don't want to be taken away for awareness training like the other ones. stay awake at all times
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2910

I've been using my name since, well, 2 years after I started so..so far 8 years. Sometimes I write Mario D. if I'm not to proud of a song.
Why? Why not. I wanna be known.

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mario D
Vault O))) (20-09-2017)
Old 20-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #8
PrimeSuspect
Minor Glitch
PrimeSuspect has a spectacular aura aboutPrimeSuspect has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

No, especially if we talk about EDM. Now - it is a freak show. Deadmaus, Marshmello, etc. People go more for the image, not for the person...
PrimeSuspect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 04:53 PM   #9
Inna Selez
Granular Poster
Inna Selez is a jewel in the roughInna Selez is a jewel in the roughInna Selez is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeSuspect View Post
No, especially if we talk about EDM. Now - it is a freak show. Deadmaus, Marshmello, etc. People go more for the image, not for the person...
Hollywood Undead, Slipknot, Daft Punk, Kiss, Lordi.. first that comes on my mind and mostly it`s a rock bands.
Inna Selez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 01:37 AM   #10
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 20360

I do, but only because I couldn't come up with an original name I liked that was easy to find. If you google me, I come up in the first page of results. I'm the top result under my real name on Soundcloud versus somewhere on the 3rd page for my old alias (forum name). So yeah, it works for me.

Plus I fancy myself a handsome gentleman, so I figure hiding behind a mask is more of a hindrance than a help

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #11
Iyashi Sound
Granular Poster
Iyashi Sound has much to be proud ofIyashi Sound has much to be proud ofIyashi Sound has much to be proud ofIyashi Sound has much to be proud ofIyashi Sound has much to be proud ofIyashi Sound has much to be proud ofIyashi Sound has much to be proud ofIyashi Sound has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1010

I used to have my real name on releases, posters and social media, but because of a critical comment I made online about the quality of the local hip hop scene, I ended up being stalked by a group of roid-raging Arab Immigrants who threatened both me and my family.

Luckily I didn't have my home address available anywhere, so in the end they were unable to find my house. But I know they tried pretty hard, and that it went on for about a month (at least).

So I stopped using both my real name and the band name I had been using up to that point. I had to get a new phone-number and new email addresses as well, - since they basically tried to destroy me online by spamming and signing me up for all kinds of shit.

I guess I just don't want to be killed by insane bodybuilders if I can avoid it.

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 21-09-2017 at 03:33 PM..

Advertisements

Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote