Ableton Live 9 Lite OR Pro Tools First?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 17-11-2016, 04:18 PM   #1
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5460
Ableton Live 9 Lite OR Pro Tools First?

So I won a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 from Zzounds and as cool as that is, I'm more stoked for the software it comes with (though it is a step up from the M-Audio M-Track I've been using)

Some of what it comes with:
  • Red 2 and Red 3 Plug-in Suite
  • Softube Time and Tone Pack
  • Exclusive Pro Tools | First Focusrite Creative Pack
  • Ableton Live 9 Lite DAW software
  • Loopmasters sounds and samples (1GB)
  • Novation Bass Station VST and AU plug-in synth
I've been using Reaper for years cuz its free and whatnot. The gist of what I know about PT and Ableton is: Pro Tools is supposedly the industry standard, but Ableton is made for electronic music and live performance.

I know I can try both of them since I'll own them or I can Rewire Ableton into Pro Tools, but as far as the "look at all this cool shit" factor when I open the box, which one would you fire up first and why? Thanks.

Advertisements

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 05:06 PM   #2
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1533677
Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,225 Posts
Re: Ableton Live 9 Lite OR Pro Tools First?

So heres the deal.

Ableton via rewire is very crippled. It will not support 3rd party plugins when being used via rewire, so there's that.

another thing, I hate pro tools. I know many who love it but i developed a healthy hatred of it way back in my doing tech support for DAW's days, I know it has improved a lot, I had to use it extensively when i worked for Owl CIty, but it doesnt change my hatred of it.

finally, although I use Ableton for 99% of what I do, Reaper is GREAT.

to answer your question tho, I think Ableton, even the lite version will be more "fun" right out of the box.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 06:54 AM   #3
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11473554

Pro Tools has a lot of features that you find on more professional equipment and as such it can be a lot harder and frustrating to get things set up for basic things if you're just starting the software and trying to get some stuff going quick. For example, to record a track, you can't just hit "record", you record arm a track, then hit record on the playbar.
Pro tools, last time I used it anyway (Pro Tools 8) you had to bounce in real time when bouncing your mix down, which is kinda tedious. I'm fine with just exporting as a wav or something in other programs, Pro Tools bounces in real time so you are waiting the entirety of the song or mix for it to render. I used Pro Tools in my university when I studied Music Industry Studies. It is the style of a DAW I like, and the features that might make it kinda tricky for a beginner to get it set up are kinda cool ultimately, you just have to know about them and if you don't then it can be very irritating for something as simple as, "how do i send midi to this track". with that said, I stopped using it because Pro Tools 8 was hardware dependent on Avid's hardware so you had to use their stuff, which I did have, but didn't allow much freedom for upgrading. Plus, Pro Tools separates every file you import into mono tracks (it works natively I believe with mono tracks), which it has to save separately, which can start taking up lots of space, and it takes like a minute to load (again, when I used it last).

I understand it's supposed to be the industry standard and all the hardware dependency kinda killed it for me, and eventually they did remove that (new versions of Pro Tools will work with any hardware), but Pro Tools is also very expensive, and for me to upgrade would've been an investment, and I just went with REAPER eventually, as it has lots of configurability and neat things that Pro Tools doesn't have (distributed computing, write your own effects). REAPER is also much cheaper, IF you even decide to buy it because you can just use it without buying it if you don't mind the nag screen.

I never got super into Pro Tools, as much as I've delved into ACID or Sound Forge, for example, but I decided to focus more on producing cool music things the way I like. If I ever get an album I'll just render stems and send it to the mastering engineer and let them do whatever to it. right now I'm using REAPER mainly with Max/MSP experiments on the side, and some editing with Audacity. Been wanting to try out Renoise, as I'm also thinking about switching to Linux (Renoise works on Linux), but I'm trying not to spread myself too thin at the same time.

In the end, I suppose maybe I'd try Ableton? I've personally never used Ableton, but from what I've heard Ableton is very user friendly and makes it easy to get up and go, which is always good for experimenting, rather than struggling just to get a MIDI track in Pro Tools set up or something lol. You will find some similarities between REAPER and Pro Tools tho (I'm not sure if REAPER stole things from Pro Tools or it just happened that REAPER and Pro Tools share some very similar traits, i.e. read/write/latch modes). Pro Tools just to me in the end was too big and large a program and I just didn't want to deal with it. Maybe I'll reconsider in the future tho.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6902409
Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,097 Posts

Had a quick look at the features and honestly, I would say go with Tools:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Tools: 16 MIDI, 16 Audio, 16 Auxiliaries, 4 inputs.
Live: 8 MIDI and Audio, 2 Sends (Aux), 4 inputs.

Only eight in total, versus 16 + 16 = 32.

Plus with the Focusrite pack you can make use of those 12 instruments.

Typically, I'd say go for Live for electronic musicians unless you plan to do a lot of audio recording. But there is seriously more value then Live in Tools.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
Vault O))) (08-12-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 10:14 PM   #5
tivoli
Minor Glitch
tivoli will become famous soon enoughtivoli will become famous soon enough
Moscow, Russia
MC Status: 110

If I were you I think I would explore Ableton first because of its unique Session mode. I heard there is no analogues in other DAWs for this mode. And I just don't know what Pro Tools can offer to me what Logic cannot. (I'm not a user of Ableton/PT so it's only my opinion).
tivoli is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 04:37 AM   #6
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

In my own conceded effort to turn the world upside down by ripping the thin fabric, I'm going live lite because never say never.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #7
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5460

Turns out the ProTools First is not compatible with 32bit systems so I can't use it anyway....haven't gotten around to checking out Ableton yet. I opened it once, it looked weird...I closed it. I'll get to it at some point.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 30810

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDDgOD View Post
Turns out the ProTools First is not compatible with 32bit systems so I can't use it anyway....haven't gotten around to checking out Ableton yet. I opened it once, it looked weird...I closed it. I'll get to it at some point.
Open Ableton, immediately hit the Tab key. You'll be amazed at the difference.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1533677
Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,225 Posts

Ableton is actually just a spreadsheet app.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
iDoG (20-01-2017)
Old 20-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8532980
Thanked 6,841 Times in 4,870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Had a quick look at the features and honestly, I would say go with Tools:

Tools: 16 MIDI, 16 Audio, 16 Auxiliaries, 4 inputs.
Live: 8 MIDI and Audio, 2 Sends (Aux), 4 inputs.

Only eight in total, versus 16 + 16 = 32.

Plus with the Focusrite pack you can make use of those 12 instruments.

Typically, I'd say go for Live for electronic musicians unless you plan to do a lot of audio recording. But there is seriously more value then Live in Tools.
Is Live really that crippled? Can you not route anything to anything on the mixer?! I've never switching from FL Studio...maybe I'll always be laughed at...but honestly I've never had any issue w/ FL Studio that wasn't a quick google search away from figuring out...and the mixer is the tits...plus we have patcher now...

Also...dat piano roll.

Honestly I'm going to go ahead and recommend FL Studio. If you are making electronic music you should take a serious look at it.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #11
Sorrezoo
Regular Freak
Sorrezoo will become famous soon enoughSorrezoo will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Ive both FL studio and Ableton 9 lite what are the key differences between these DAWs?
Sorrezoo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #12
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7236929

Pro Tools is only useful if you intend to work in professional studio environment. It is the go-to-DAW for mixing and mastering engineers, and commonly used for recording and film. It offers features aimed towards that group, but is not the fastest place to actually write music in.

Ableton Live is aimed at electronic music producers and composers of music with heavy electronic elements. It is convenient for home studios, but lacks in some features you might expect, such as support for dynamic touch controllers like Continuum / Linnstrument. Ableton's mixer also lacks some features for more creative routing.

That being said, Live Lite's features are pretty bad, so if it's just between the lite versions and you are not looking to upgrade in the future, take the Bro Fools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
For example, to record a track, you can't just hit "record", you record arm a track, then hit record on the playbar.
Exactly how it works in Ableton as well. The exception is with MIDI, where the current track you're on is armed automatically.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
I/O_Madness (21-01-2017)
Old 20-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #13
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrezoo View Post
Ive both FL studio and Ableton 9 lite what are the key differences between these DAWs?
I can't imagine there is a single feature of Ableton included in the Lite version that would make it worth using over a full version of FL Studio. For one, the track limitations are pretty big. I think the mixer and possibly MIDI are "crippeled" as well. I get free Ableton Lite serials occasionally when I buy hardware and I've installed it and played around. Nothing there impressed me enough to learn a new DAW.

The full version is probably another story. I know Ableton is THE DAW these days...
Old 20-01-2017, 09:31 PM   #14
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 30810

Ableton Lite is so basic that I'd recommend...well, pretty much anything else. Reaper, probably, if price was that big an issue.

To the FL/Ableton deal, no one ever seriously said "well, I would have made an awesome track if I'd had X instead of Y". They're just tools, and while they do things in slightly different ways, they mostly do the exact same things. Just like oils and acrylics, you can make awesome art with either.

I will say that FL is very much oriented to beats and patterns, at least right out of the box. Neither of those things are to my interest so I find Ableton more in line with how I create. That's just a workflow thing - I can and have and will make sounds with FL, and there's some things it does very, very well. I think anyone's preference ultimately comes down to comfort and workflow and sort of the 'mindset' of the software, not that fact that one is in any way quantifiably better than the other.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 10:04 PM   #15
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

^I wish they would make the Step Sequencer a legacy feature in FL Studio. It gets in the way IMO. The piano roll is so good in FL Studio...for my purposes. The only thing I like about the Step Sequencer is it allows an easier place to gain stage things and turn them down from the get go.
Old 19-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #16
PrimeSuspect
Minor Glitch
PrimeSuspect has a spectacular aura aboutPrimeSuspect has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Ableton of course, with all my love to Pro Tools, Ableton first
PrimeSuspect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 04:40 PM   #17
Lichtgestalth
IDMf's latest spammer
Lichtgestalth will become famous soon enough
Shanghai
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Ableton Lite is so basic that I'd recommend...well, pretty much anything else. Reaper, probably, if price was that big an issue.
+1

Ableton Lite is basically a demo version. Reaper is great. Amazing if you consider what you get for the (non-existent) price.

Advertisements

Lichtgestalth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote