Who here uses cheap gear to produce their music?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rˇs, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 17-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #1
sodabottle
Learning The Ropes
sodabottle is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Who here uses cheap gear to produce their music?

I was just curious, as I use some $30 dollar headphones and $20-30 dollar 2.0 computer speakers
along with my daw. and a stock sound card

Advertisements

sodabottle is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 11:15 PM   #2
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts
Re: Who hear uses cheap gear to produce their music?

Everything I use is in the $99-or-below range, apart from some fluke deals on eBay in which I spent a total of $99 for something that's worth a bit more.

My cans were $20 but allow me to mix to the best of my abilities, too. Sometimes you just find a match for your ears.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 11:21 PM   #3
sodabottle
Learning The Ropes
sodabottle is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
Sometimes you just find a match for your ears.

yeah, I was thinking about upgrading, but my music may start sounding different, but I'll probably have a try at something better
sodabottle is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5710

My main 2 pieces of equipment at the moment are a Yamaha QY- 70 and a $25 pair of sony headphones that I got still in the packaging at Goodwill for $6. that's about as low budget as it gets. I do have a JD-Xi but I haven't been allowed to open due to an ongoing debate with my wife about whether or not I need to send back a $500 "toy" that I ordered without telling her.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to oDDgOD
mnkvolcno (22-05-2016)
Old 22-01-2016, 07:37 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541480
Thanked 7,011 Times in 4,983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDDgOD View Post
My main 2 pieces of equipment at the moment are a Yamaha QY- 70 and a $25 pair of sony headphones that I got still in the packaging at Goodwill for $6. that's about as low budget as it gets. I do have a JD-Xi but I haven't been allowed to open due to an ongoing debate with my wife about whether or not I need to send back a $500 "toy" that I ordered without telling her.
Heh. We avoid these kinds of arguments by figuring out a budget then we both deposit money for the bills into the joint account. Besides another savings account we have together our money is totally separate.

:problemofficer:

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO

My argument that its not $500 but rather 8 easy payments of $63 has not swayed her so far.
Thanks to oDDgOD
mnkvolcno (22-05-2016)
Old 22-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDDgOD View Post
My argument that its not $500 but rather 8 easy payments of $63 has not swayed her so far.
Zzounds? I love their payment plans

If I can come up with a good argument for you, I'll let you know man.

------------------
Old 22-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #8
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Zzounds? I love their payment plans .
American Musical Supply. Never ordered from Zzounds. Musicians Friend says I don't have good enough credit. Poop on them.

It basically comes down to her question of "What does this do that your other equipment doesn't do?". My other equipment being all Yamaha...the qy70, a beat up og DJX, and a AZ-AG...trying to explain what the Roland does to a non-techie or non-gearhead is an exercise in futility.
Old 22-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

LOL. I feel you man. When ever I get something new I usually just tell the woman "It makes a different kind of noise the other ones don't!". I've not heard of some of those pieces of gear...I'll have to look them up.

Also going to check out American Music Supply. Zzounds 4 payment plan (8 on some things) involves no credit check. But they auto deduct from a credit or debit card.

------------------
Thanks to relic
oDDgOD (27-01-2016)
Old 22-01-2016, 08:39 PM   #10
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
they auto deduct from a credit or debit card.
Same with AMS
Old 22-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #11
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 71974
Thanked 1,188 Times in 729 Posts

Used to have a dell Inspiron laptop and ran reaktor and renoise. Other equipment was a cheap recorder made by Olympus that broke in half and turned into a USB stick so I could load files on the go.

I've been lucky, reaktor was given to me by my ma's friend, my headphones were a bday gift, and controller (thx str8!) and computer (thx Rixtr!) came from idmf members.

If I had money to pesh, I'd buy all the elektron products, as well as some rare instruments that aren't really good for anything, and the rest of my fortune would be dedicated to modular. Oh, and alllll the Casio keyboards. I doubt it would be incorporated into my normal work though, more of just a personal exploration thing.

Nothing wrong with cheap things if you know how to use them. You certainly aren't going to become an amazing musician just because you have money.

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #12
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

I used to use an old Sony desktop stereo with an AUX input as monitors. It actually worked really well. Also I used to only buy used computers and got a lot of work done on them. And my current monitors/audio interface isn't super cheap, but it was $90 for the combo unit (Alesis M1Active 320 USB Speakers/Audio Interface). Not really cheap, but not exactly pro monitors.

I think if you can make do with less, it's something to be proud of.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
jVs (26-01-2016)
Old 26-01-2016, 03:40 AM   #13
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

I do, because my obsession with cheap or "generic" equipment being forced to create something awesome is borderline fetish. But if you think about it, If you have the ability and patience to create something awesome with sub par equipment by circuit bending or designing, You sir have won music.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
Nystagmus (26-01-2016)
Old 26-01-2016, 04:28 AM   #14
Megacharge
Microknight
Megacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond reputeMegacharge has a reputation beyond repute
Montreal
MC Status: 2264

I produce on a pair of 30 dollar Sony headphones, I have an Asus Xonar DS sound card but I have about 1k worth of synths/plugins.

------------------
Megacharge is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #15
DOOF
Learning The Ropes
DOOF will become famous soon enough
New York, New York
MC Status: 60

I really loath/love the fact that Guitar Center has completely dominated the electronic music production market. I look stuff up online and know GC will probably have it for cheap. However, I just hate buying from them. It's obnoxious every time I go into that store. Anyway, I have no problem whatsoever producing on cheap equipment. The small midi players are only getting better. Pretty soon, somebody's gonna blow up using the dumbest combination of equipment.
DOOF is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:15 AM   #16
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOF View Post
I really loath/love the fact that Guitar Center has completely dominated the electronic music production market. I look stuff up online and know GC will probably have it for cheap. However, I just hate buying from them. It's obnoxious every time I go into that store. Anyway, I have no problem whatsoever producing on cheap equipment. The small midi players are only getting better. Pretty soon, somebody's gonna blow up using the dumbest combination of equipment.
Uh. How has GC dominated the electronic music market? That is the absolute last place I would go to buy a piece of gear. The actual stores don't carry much that would interest the typical "producer". Their online store carries quite a bit, but if I were buying something new I'd much rather get it from zzounds, musician's friend or sweetwater.

------------------
Old 08-02-2016, 06:50 AM   #17
Tsachi
i don't understand
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 10210

I once recorded some things on a Nintendo DS and put it into Ableton through a lexicon lambda interface ($150) using a badly manufactured 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter (badly made as in the 1/8" male piece was loose and moved around). It was tremendously bad sounding.

------------------

Lol wut happened to the chatbox
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #18
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080164
Thanked 1,230 Times in 830 Posts

i bought a bunch of expensive gear in 2015 and sold it all in 2016. i thought using abletons push would help with producing on the fly, and at first it did (see the "defining gear" thread). but i think its a trap. automatically scaling makes playing notes way too easy and i lost all my abilities to play on a normal keyboard. it messed with my head. so, i am back to my original gear: a cme master keyboard which occasionally bugs out; my lovely bcr 2000, and a few other really low-proced controllers. ah, and my bass. i even switched back to my old laptop and sold the computer i bought in 15. helps reduce the amount i spend with games too, since everything has become very slooooooooow. its good that way, producing has become the magic thing from before again since results are much less foreseeable at times.

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #19
Macspider
Granular Poster
Macspider is just really niceMacspider is just really niceMacspider is just really niceMacspider is just really nice
Vienna
MC Status: 360

There is no "cheap" gear, imho. There is only a lot of "not needed luxury gear" that facilitates your producing life.
Btw, Noisia's mastermind Thijs answered this to me on twitter, when I asked him the same question.
Macspider is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Macspider
Nystagmus (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #20
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

This is the first year since 1990 that I haven't used cheap gear.
But I always tried to at least have one or two entry-level pro pieces of gear.
But still, most software I use is freeware, especially and including the VST(i)'s.

I did buy Harmor and a few others, but I actually don't use it that much yet.
I have had a hard time understanding it.

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote