EnergyXT is still slowly being developed
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 14-12-2015, 06:30 AM   #1
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts
EnergyXT is still slowly being developed

It turns out a few more features are being developed in EnergyXT.
The beta of the next version is public (freeware).
You can get it here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

If you already bought an older version of EnergyXT, you can copy your license file (xt.lck) into the beta's folder and it will run like a full version, although slightly buggy since it's a beta.

I have been running it this way for my recent tracks and it's helping me get some MIDI work done. The current beta is finally has multiprocessor/multicore support. It took a long time to get this, but it helps a lot.

I am on Linux, but I actually use the Windows version and it works alright. I haven't lost any projects yet.
If you prefer to mostly use your old DAW, that's OK. EnergyXT's export features seem to be working alright.
I was able to export MIDI and WAV stems into Reaper and continue working from there.

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
relic (08-09-2017)
Old 14-12-2015, 11:00 PM   #2
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31260
Re: EnergyXT is still slowly being developed

OK, I'll bite since no-one else is - what's so great about EnergyXT? I had a quick poke around the website, and it looks cheap enough. What are you getting out of that, say that you aren't getting from FL or Reaper?

------------------
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 12:02 AM   #3
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
Icon3 Re: EnergyXT is still slowly being developed

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmotor View Post
OK, I'll bite since no-one else is - what's so great about EnergyXT? I had a quick poke around the website, and it looks cheap enough. What are you getting out of that, say that you aren't getting from FL or Reaper?
Well, I use a used computer that was made around 2007 so I don't have the most powerful computer.

Because of this, I can't actually use FL Studio on any complex projects because the dual core CPU maxxes out really easily. So FL Studio is out of my reach for the time being. Also, I don't have the full version so I can't even do anything with audio clips or audio editing or freezing. I'd have to spend another 110 dollars to get that.

Reaper is my main DAW, but lately it seems like every time I try to record some MIDI and quantize it, something goes wrong with how the notes end up. I'm not sure how to fix it. Sometimes it's stuck notes, sometimes it's notes that are quantized too early or too late.

I tried both input quantizing and not input quantizing. And dealing with the multiple grid settings and quantizing settings within Reaper is very confusing to me for the types of things I want to accomplish. I can usually do it, but by the time I do I feel frustrated and sometimes I'm losing inspiration.

Within EnergyXT, I just set one grid setting not 2-4 like in Reaper. I turn on input quantize globally instead of for separate tracks. Whenever I do MIDI overdubs it just seems to work and edits seem easier too. I'm not really sure why. I'm just used to it better I guess. I think EnergyXT's MIDI editor is a bit more like FL Studio's compared to Reaper.

For audio files and plugins, the file browser is right there alongside the project and it's also a bit like FL Studio's built in file browser. But everything is minimalistic. There's not a lot of clutter.

EnergyXT's mixer isn't as powerful as Reaper, but I like having the input trims so that I can adjust levels and still have a visual fader representation that everything is equally set up unless I boost or cut later. Somehow the layout of the inserts and sends makes more sense to me. You don't have to create a track and drag to make a connection for a send. You just adjust the send dial and that's it... like on a hardware console.

When working with loops, I like the different modes of timestretching. You can get different types of sounds by just dragging the mouse instead of looking at menu commands and properties windows in Reaper.

It's overall stuff like that. Simple things. When you load loops they are easily matched to project tempo. Or they can easily be slowed down or sped up.

But the major downside is that the developer has nearly abandoned it and hardly any upgrades or updates have happened over the last few years! There are a lot of complaints about that on KVR. And yet it's still crawling along wtih a few updates here and there.

It just only recently got multicore support, and that's just for the beta. And so I'm using the beta to get work done. I've only seen a few cosmetic issues with the beta. I know there are more bugs, but I haven't experienced them yet.

The stable version is OK, but lacks the multicore support so projects have a built limit in terms of complexity.

Anyways, you can download the demo if you want. It's mostly like the real deal minus saving or rendering or something. I forget which.

It's not really that it's better than Reaper or FL Studio, it's just that those programs have grown alot in complexity and like I said I can't even access the main features in FL Studio due to CPU load on my laptop.

Reaper can get a lot done, but if I get too frustrated with MIDI it makes me resentful until I can get the MIDI all cleaned up and frozen. After everything is frozen in Reaper, it really excells and is wonderful. But I'd rather be performing MIDI overdubs rapidly than digging into the editor to do mousework.

EnergyXT allows me to do the overdubs faster so my ideas don't get clobbered by having to edit the takes. It's certainly not perfect.

I think some of the appeal is merely visual too. It's easy on the eyes with the skin I have installed. And there's only a few things to set up in the configuration/settings. It's not got a mountain of features to configure like in Reaper.

So I guess i'm not very clear about this but that's how well I'm thinking today. I hope what I said makes some sense.

The main thing now, is that I use both Reaper and EnergyXT as companions to each other and it works out. Maybe later next year I'll get a better computer and eventually upgrade FL Studio to the full version though. I like FL Studio's synth automation features and it's step sequencer. I do use the step sequencer for making percussion loops on WAVs.

Probably all things considered, Reaper is the best deal of the three of them financially and considering support and CPU loading. Reaper seems to advance faster too.

I'm not knocking Image-Line though, their plug-ins are excellent. I use Toxic Biohazard and Harmor and they are great although Harmor is abstract to learn.

Aw, I'm done ranting. I hope I made sense---I didn't sleep last night at all.

Anyways, there is a KVR subforum for EnergyXT if you want to keep an eye on it.

------------------

Old 15-12-2015, 05:02 AM   #4
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31260

Thanks for that. Yeah, I was just curious weather it was doing some amazing thing that I was missing out on - but on the other hand I have more than software and need to concentrate on finishing tracks as opposed to learning new tools I think.

------------------
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to badmotor
Nystagmus (15-12-2015)
Old 15-12-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Wait, you can record your own music with this? Like Dr. Drum?

Sorry, I'll stop.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #6
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

who is Dr. Drum?

------------------

Old 07-09-2017, 10:59 PM   #7
Daggit
Soundscaper
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
Däggit pronounced DAWG-EET
MC Status: 6660

If anybody is still interested in EnergyXT, it now has multicore support, the recent beta included. Saving of projects is disabled, but you can still render.

Advertisements

------------------
Hear my tunes at https://hearthis.at/daggit-gr/
Using: M-Audio KeyStation 49es, Alesis M1Active 320 USB, HP EliteBook, Xubuntu Linux w/WINE, Reaper, FL Studio, lots of freeware VST instruments and effects.
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote