The actively making music and being excited about it thread
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts
The actively making music and being excited about it thread

ok so you work as a dog tit scrubber and you eat ham every night but suddenly you have discovered a new vibe for yourself and have all sorts of ideas for a new project. Are you excited? Tell me about it. Maybe you got this concept for an EP and you want to put it out on tape for x reason and you're trying to make 2 tracks a week before you lose your inspiration/momentum. Tell me about your idea and why and what you want to do with the results. A label said they liked your hat but you think the hat restricts your hair and you're really excited about this new wet look gel you've got... What you gonna do??
maybe youre half way through an album and you're losing steam with it and suddenly got all sorts of ideas in the other direction and its conflicting yo shit.

you get the point (hopefully to say how much I wrote). I'm drunk in the back of a car but this really interests me and I think sometimes idmf has lost its drive to make music... I wanna hear about the sharp end of your stick. Inb4 this gets closed because I get more drunk and post a dicpic. Cyclops just got engaged btw according to fb happy success for you bro x

Advertisements

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
Re: the actively making music and excited about it thread

bro x

------------------
Old 01-11-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8542180
Thanked 7,025 Times in 4,990 Posts

1. It has taken me about six years to build a setup that I am finally happily making music with. A lot of time and money spent due to ignorance and mistakes I couldn't avoid no matter how much I read. Many thanks to the hardware cunts on this forum for your advice! Now a days I fire up my DAW and I am jamming out tracks on my hardware and recording takes in moments.

2. I wrote a weird, shitty techno album this summer. Probably needs mixed all over again, but I am proud of it.

3. I've got a dark, dubby EP in the can, still mixing it.

4. I'm working on my first proper DnB release which is the music that inspired me to DJ way back in the day and part of why I started making music in the first place.

5. As soon as I can schedule some dedicated quiet time in my tiny fucking house where the cats are locked up and the girlfriend isn't around to interrupt I am going to record the words from about 13 poems I wrote last winter/spring and finally do my first spoken word + synths album Which I have been talking about doing for like a decade at this point (no, really, that long).

6. My buddy, who plays guitar and dulcimer, and I are finally scheduling some time to start working together and I am really stoked to work with him. Basically my BFF and we go on crazy adventures all the time so I am hoping we can work together on some kind of crazy LP.

7. The Blade Runner/Vangelis tribute project AM cooked up promises to be the tits. Happy to be a part of this number.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Right now I'm covering a Christmas tune on my Analog Four and planning on getting a local female vocalist I know to sing over it. Little Drummer Boy is the track I'm attempting to remake (liked that song quite a bit growing up, not sure if I still do or not lol, but the melody was dead easy to tap out so I'm running with it) but with heavy use of evolving arpeggios over time laid underneath the traditional melody which I've added quite a bit of swing to.

Best way to get to know a pice of gear in my opinion is to just dig in and write a track with it. My goal here, over the coming calendar year, is to get to where I could preform an EP live with these Elektron Machines I have / am going to have / and a slim Phatty. This will be my first step in that direction as all automation will be done live as opposed to drawn in like I'm used to in DAW.

All of this is taking place during a lul in another project I'm doing with someone else locally that's actually becoming more of a chore. So I'm definitley looking forward to wrapping it up by years end so I can move onto the aforementioned business of making my live set.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

Last year was a really dark time in my life. I have many huge life changes in the near future, next few months, looming. I feel extremely excited to get back into making music now that I feel the glimmer of hope as well as much emotional content to spike me creativity.

I am revamping my system and set up at the moment and I am excited to get back into it.

Music is life, life is music.

CREATE.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #6
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

This is an encourging thread.

I am happy because I had been feeling creatively blocked. But then a few nights ago I couldn't sleep so I was jamming over the top of a work in progress and by the end of the next day the tune was done!

It's just weird how there's such a fine line between being blocked and getting stuff done. Almost the whole time I was working on the track I felt nervous about being blocked. But as long as I kept working at it, I got stuff accomplished. And so by the end of the day I finally didn't feel blocked anymore.

I'm in the same situation again because I have about 4 tunes that aren't going anywhere, but as long as I jam out a few overdubs while I can, each tune progresses. And maybe I'll have another long night and get something done.

And that's the part I feel good about. Also I'm encouraged because my setup is really minimal and somewhat primitive but it's still getting me tunes done. Thankfully I got most of my technical works done and I just recently got a fix for Poise drum sampler which had been broken. So now I'm back on board with my favorite sampler. The developer at [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
got me personally hooked up with a solution to my problem. So that was really nice.

Last edited by Nystagmus; 01-11-2015 at 09:52 PM..

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #7
MothSound
Radial Developer
MothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud of
Oxford
MC Status: 1210
Re: The actively making music and being excited about it thread

I've been working on a signature sound that uses blurred vox pads as the lead melody of the song. The concept is solid but only a year into making tunes, I don't have the mixing skills or knowhow to release anything up to standard. Frustrating.

------------------
He lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived
MothSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #8
saneliv
Knob Twiddler
saneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2760

Quote:
Originally Posted by MothSound View Post
I've been working on a signature sound that uses blurred vox pads as the lead melody of the song. The concept is solid but only a year into making tunes, I don't have the mixing skills or knowhow to release anything up to standard. Frustrating.
Yah I'm in the same situation - I think a lot of folks here are
I'll have a tune in the can, but just before putting it out for feedback, I suddenly can hear flaws I need to fix, and I go back in the basement.

It's like cleaning before the cleaning lady comes...
saneliv is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to saneliv
FunkMasterBrown (24-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Inspirational words for those of us actually mashing 'dem keys, strings, pads, mice/keyboards:

“If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don't even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives and maybe even your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. It could mean jail. It could mean derision. It could mean mockery--isolation. Isolation is the gift. All the others are a test of your endurance, of how much you really want to do it. And, you'll do it, despite rejection and the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine. If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is.” - Charles Bukowski

I wish it would fit in my signature...

------------------
Old 03-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269465908
Thanked 2,846 Times in 1,884 Posts

What kind of person would keep working on his own music without being excited about it?

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #11
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21460

I'm working on fixing the mix for a submission to the christmas EP thingamabob. It's been pretty much done since August. Since then, I've started 5 other songs (I have a solid minute of content in all of them), pretty fully mixed one and just need to finish arranging it. It very well may be done by the end of the year, but probably not in time for the EP. All the others are pretty fun and have some cool sounds to work with, I'm looking forward to putting those out as time permits over the next year. And time should permit more often since I have to take 1 less class next spring/fall for school.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #12
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
What kind of person would keep working on his own music without being excited about it?
A professional musician? lol

but seriously...I think the thread title is a bit misleading...FMB can correct me if I am wrong, but I think the sentiment is that the core user group--the off topic hermits--don't *seem* to be working on music or talking about making it.

I think this thread is needed and necessary to kick start something besides the "I had a good shit today" banter, which is fine...but...

------------------
Old 03-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #13
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

well tbh it seems like a lot of people arent that excited about making music its just a thing they do... i dunno that bit isnt important anyway

theres no obligation with this thread its just i spend a lot of time walking around with all this shit about making music spiralling in my head i thought people could come here and let it out wherever its at at that particular moment for them. i for one appreciate reading it and seeing what people are up to and what their thoughts on their own musical activities are. ive been meaning to post here since the other day but it may be a long one i need to de muddle it for myself first to even work out where im at on the journey of not knowing where im at

------------------
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
A.M (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #14
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
well tbh it seems like a lot of people arent that excited about making music its just a thing they do... i dunno that bit isnt important anyway

theres no obligation with this thread its just i spend a lot of time walking around with all this shit about making music spiralling in my head i thought people could come here and let it out wherever its at at that particular moment for them. i for one appreciate reading it and seeing what people are up to and what their thoughts on their own musical activities are. ive been meaning to post here since the other day but it may be a long one i need to de muddle it for myself first to even work out where im at on the journey of not knowing where im at
Agreed, my mind is pretty much constantly occupied by ideas for songs, projects etc if I've nothing better to think about. I'm totally on board with this open, community journal to collect all this. Maybe it is just the voyeur in me, but I find it fascinating.

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 06:38 PM   #15
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 185410
Thanked 3,708 Times in 2,761 Posts

1) Working my ass off to complete work on my next album, due for release..hopefully, this side of Christmas. Posted a couple of tracks from it up on SC and the general response was good..they seemed to be accepted well enough, though some valid comments about the technical side of things has thrown me a curve. I've been trying to master it myself..just can't afford to pay anyone to do it for me right now..and let's just say I've a bit to learn by all accounts.

2) About half-way through the next album for release after the one mentioned above..no rush, just something else to pull open when I want to distract myself from anything else.

3) Still working on the track I want to submit for the Christmas collab thing on here, which is coming on well enough.

4) Working on a few tracks for a planned future release with another member on here. Again, no rush with this, as we both have other stuff, but it's fun and we're getting there at our own pace.

5) Just started a thread and private social group on here for those mad enough to get involved in a collaborative tribute album project I've started. As Relic mentioned, it's to do with all things Blade Runner..Book..Movie..Score..our way of paying homage to all those involved. It's called "Hommage"..that's the French original of the word "Homage", for those who just thought I'd spelt it wrong..and it's pronounced a little differently to the English version of the word.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #16
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

I've had an endless flow of 'creativity' for about a year, but frustration sets in constantly for me when my inconsistency reveals itself. Every track I make isn't even in the same universe as any of the others, so I have a hard time getting music into people's earholes, let alone crappy bandcamp netlabels.

A new project for me isn't really an exciting experience, even after I've written an album. Sometimes I'll exhaust my odds with 10 or so labels and just delete the album forever due to a lack of B12 or something.

Maybe someone as weird as me fares better with compilation releases, because sticking to rules for a song is a fun exercise; sticking to rules for a whole project is torture. Sometimes I wish I could give away half of my creativity to someone more talented and equipped to do something real with it.

Last edited by Kvlt O))); 03-11-2015 at 09:03 PM..
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
ms_ (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 09:10 PM   #17
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
golly gee wiz
MC Status: 329125400
Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,172 Posts

Yes yes i am

MAD CUNT'S IM HOME............
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #18
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 117510
Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
I've had an endless flow of 'creativity' for about a year, but frustration sets in constantly for me when my inconsistency reveals itself. Every track I make isn't even in the same universe as any of the others, so I have a hard time getting music into people's earholes, let alone crappy bandcamp netlabels.

A new project for me isn't really an exciting experience, even after I've written an album. Sometimes I'll exhaust my odds with 10 or so labels and just delete the album forever due to a lack of B12 or something.

Maybe someone as weird as me fares better with compilation releases, because sticking to rules for a song is a fun exercise; sticking to rules for a whole project is torture. Sometimes I wish I could give away half of my creativity to someone more talented and equipped to do something real with it.
You're just like Buckethead, but he never deletes anything, releases every little jam (he did an album a day last month) and stays under single alias. I get similar waves of creativity sometimes and it's fun, no doubt. Tracks goes well, diarrhees one after another in various shapes (lulz), until it all suddenly stops and everything I did doesn't sound worth listening and putting together as an album. Endless stream of sketches. It's cool to jump though genres, start new things/projects, you can do it pretty well but your problem is that you're doing it way too often and an average project's lifespan is 24 hours. You just get lost in your creativity. But hey, it's better being busy with making music than playing some Carl of Booty and having a meltdown because those kids are better than you. You get some result, an output of your time wasted in wav format that has some sort of value to someone, if not to you. I also want to scrap all my albums, at least remove them from bc because I think they all suck. The only thing that stops me from doing it is that people care about them and I'm getting some PMs and e-mails once in a while about how they're happy they found them and etc. I'm ok with that. Guess that also works as a motivation just do it™

Last edited by ms_; 03-11-2015 at 10:58 PM..

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
A.M (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 11:53 PM   #19
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 185410
Thanked 3,708 Times in 2,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
You're just like Buckethead, but he never deletes anything, releases every little jam (he did an album a day last month) and stays under single alias. I get similar waves of creativity sometimes and it's fun, no doubt. Tracks goes well, diarrhees one after another in various shapes (lulz), until it all suddenly stops and everything I did doesn't sound worth listening and putting together as an album. Endless stream of sketches. It's cool to jump though genres, start new things/projects, you can do it pretty well but your problem is that you're doing it way too often and an average project's lifespan is 24 hours. You just get lost in your creativity. But hey, it's better being busy with making music than playing some Carl of Booty and having a meltdown because those kids are better than you. You get some result, an output of your time wasted in wav format that has some sort of value to someone, if not to you. I also want to scrap all my albums, at least remove them from bc because I think they all suck. The only thing that stops me from doing it is that people care about them and I'm getting some PMs and e-mails once in a while about how they're happy they found them and etc. I'm ok with that. Guess that also works as a motivation just do it™
You stuff sucks ass big time..that was me and my mates who sent you those emails and things. Man, we knew you'd fall for it!

(Now he's thinking to himself, "Shit, was it really A.M?" )

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:17 AM   #20
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52760
Thanked 1,055 Times in 779 Posts

I've got a pretty good sense of what music I like. It's quite a diverse collection of stuff. Some of my favorite styles are so far off the mainstream, new stuff I like is getting hard to find. But I still manage to. It became an obsessive scouring of online platforms and YouTube collecting new and exciting or old and treasured tracks. But... you eventually find yourself looking at a vast collection of 30000 songs and you feel lost. It stops speaking to you or you just hop from track to track without sticking to it. Then you assemble playlists of the same 1000 tracks that you actually do care about.
To me, starting to make music earlier this year has finally opened up a whole new world for me. You start re-discovering your favourites. You pay attention to arrangements, think about sound design, analyze the beat patterns, disect what makes the groove work.
Suddenly it is as though the black and white movies you loved for so long are now showing in full Technicolor and you start listening to them with inspiration in mind. I said it elsewhere before, I often have my own remix playing in my head. Particularly is a noisy car, when I hear only snippets of the key elements, I often get some nice ideas.
Playing around with sound design, reading about and implementing music theory, analyzing song structure has given me a deeper appreciation of something I have always been quite passionate about. I just do it for the fun of it. Hey, I am even starting to think I am getting better at it.

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
White Noise (04-11-2015)