Heavy electro style bass
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 28-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
clueless
Learning The Ropes
clueless will become famous soon enoughclueless will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Heavy electro style bass

Hello everyone, new here. Hope this is in the right sub forum.

Just as a quick introduction I've been a musician since age 3 (now 24) and sort of made amateur music on my pc for about 9 years. I have a basic understanding of things but i'm entirely self taught so there's probably massive holes in my knowledge, specially in technical terms.

Anyway, after a year of not touching Cubase, I've decided to crack on with it again and have a go at making some of that heavy electro/dance style music. Been sat here for 2 hours trying to make the sound I want and can't for the life of me figure out how.

I'm no good with names, I always forget artists and song titles and don't even know different types of sub genre, to me there's just rock, pop, dance etc. I've never really paid attention to categorising things as progressive house, acid house, whatever. So off the top of my head I can't think of any songs for example...

But whilst trying (and failing) to find a tutorial I did find a sound on an intro that is very similar to what I'm trying to make. It's the first bass sound that drops on the intro of this tutorial, the one that sounds almost like a distorted guitar.

(Can't post links due to low post count - if you google "locksmith music knife party pluck tutorial" the video is the first result).

If anyone can point me to a tutorial to make that sound I'd be more than pleased, I've got NI massive hooked up. And better yet the actual sub genre of dance music that sound is often found in, electro house maybe?

As you can tell my name is very apt. I was once a lot more clued up on dance music and production of it a few years ago but due to a long story I won't bore you with I haven't listened to or made any for years and just cannot remember much off the top of my head.

Sorry for the bare description and thanks to anyone that can help.

Advertisements

clueless is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to clueless
Lotus_Jewel (30-07-2017)
Old 28-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts
Re: Heavy electro style bass

Try saw. Notch it at around 400Hz. Distort it. EQ it to taste (lowcut, boost some mids maybe, add some clarity, etc etc). Layer it gently with some supersaw (new separate track). Sidechain compress them both to kick/ghostkick.

edit: Also, EQ pre-distortion is quite important for how you sculpt the sound. Try two pretty narrow boosts (dual peak) in the mids, before going into dist.
So, EQ->dist->EQ.

Last edited by Evelon; 28-10-2014 at 11:31 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
paul-slacknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Try saw. Notch it at around 400Hz. Distort it. EQ it to taste (lowcut, boost some mids maybe, add some clarity, etc etc). Layer it gently with some supersaw (new separate track). Sidechain compress them both to kick/ghostkick.
you know your stuff pretty well. Its inspiring reading your posts.
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #4
clueless
Learning The Ropes

Quote:

edit: Also, EQ pre-distortion is quite important for how you sculpt the sound. Try two pretty narrow boosts (dual peak) in the mids, before going into dist.
So, EQ->dist->EQ.
Thanks for replying, I was tinkering with saws, figured it would be saw based, but just couldn't get anywhere near the sound, just some tinny buzz with no power behind it. So I tried layering it with a sine but it still sounded pathetic.

I'll have another go tomorrow with your tips and see what I can come up with. Do you know what that sort of bass sound is called per chance?

Thanks once again.
Thanks to clueless
Lotus_Jewel (30-07-2017)
Old 29-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237429

Quote:
So, EQ->dist->EQ.
This is a very good point of advice. To add to it, and to cover some of the questions I see popping up regarding bass design:

Allpass Filters: These do nothing, except change the phase of the sound above certain frequencies. This can have a drastic effect on the waveform, and how distortion reacts to the sound.

Bouncing to Audio: If you get a sound you like, with EQ and distortion it at the "correct" places, just bounce that note to the audio. Then you can play up and down the keyboard. Then you can add more EQ and distortion.

Reverb pre-distortion: This is one of the more neat things you can do, just a really short reverb before the distortion. This adds a little bit of movement to the sound (Assuming your Verb does.) which then gets distorted in different ways. Drastic distortion/reverb on kick drum gets you that hard style kick sound, for example.

Modal Filters: Take a filter, put it near self-oscillation. Tune it to a neat frequency, run your sound into it. This will add a little bit of ringing to your sound. Add enough of these, and you get a metallic sound. This is by far the most effective method to get those "metallic wubz" that pop up every now and then, but a less drastic effect can do a lot for your saw-basses and whatever.

Phases: Simply adding same wave at the same frequency but at different phase can thicken up your sound considerably. Or it could completely cancel it out, if you happened to be 180 degrees out of phase. Use with caution, but certainly worth trying. Sounds like something of this ilk is in effect on the sound you're looking for.

Distorted Bandpass: Take your bass sound with LP filter on it, but instead of sending it just on the lowpass, send it to lowpass and bandpass in parallel. Then distort the fuck out of the bandpass output. This way you get really distorted and ripping resonance to the sound without making the entire sound muddy.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
Lug (29-10-2014)
Old 29-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
clueless
Learning The Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
This is a very good point of advice. To add to it, and to cover some of the questions I see popping up regarding bass design:

Allpass Filters: These do nothing, except change the phase of the sound above certain frequencies. This can have a drastic effect on the waveform, and how distortion reacts to the sound.

Bouncing to Audio: If you get a sound you like, with EQ and distortion it at the "correct" places, just bounce that note to the audio. Then you can play up and down the keyboard. Then you can add more EQ and distortion.

Reverb pre-distortion: This is one of the more neat things you can do, just a really short reverb before the distortion. This adds a little bit of movement to the sound (Assuming your Verb does.) which then gets distorted in different ways. Drastic distortion/reverb on kick drum gets you that hard style kick sound, for example.

Modal Filters: Take a filter, put it near self-oscillation. Tune it to a neat frequency, run your sound into it. This will add a little bit of ringing to your sound. Add enough of these, and you get a metallic sound. This is by far the most effective method to get those "metallic wubz" that pop up every now and then, but a less drastic effect can do a lot for your saw-basses and whatever.

Phases: Simply adding same wave at the same frequency but at different phase can thicken up your sound considerably. Or it could completely cancel it out, if you happened to be 180 degrees out of phase. Use with caution, but certainly worth trying. Sounds like something of this ilk is in effect on the sound you're looking for.

Distorted Bandpass: Take your bass sound with LP filter on it, but instead of sending it just on the lowpass, send it to lowpass and bandpass in parallel. Then distort the fuck out of the bandpass output. This way you get really distorted and ripping resonance to the sound without making the entire sound muddy.
Some sound advice there thanks, I'll try these too. I'm not sure I understand about the phasing though, do you mean start a new oscillator with identical waveform, detuned the same etc. but just with a different level of the phasing effect on it?
Old 29-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Great advice, Blingley! Kiitos!

Clueless: you can change phase of an additional oscillator in Sylenth1, Spire, Serum, etc etc. Not to be confused with detuning, which is phase controlled with sineLFO on pitch in a way.
You can also try comb filtering (i.e, a very short delay) for some "phasey" sound.

Last edited by Evelon; 29-10-2014 at 05:48 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
Noizemaker
Minor Glitch
Noizemaker is a jewel in the roughNoizemaker is a jewel in the roughNoizemaker is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Alot of electro house basses are pretty simple. A simple saw or square + unison + Distortion/EQ will get you a useable sound. If you want anything more specific, you will have to post a clip in a track or something.
Noizemaker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 12:25 AM   #9
paul-slacknoise

niceeeee
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #10
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8360

Low pass square wave.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #11
BoJoProductions
Minor Glitch
BoJoProductions is a jewel in the roughBoJoProductions is a jewel in the roughBoJoProductions is a jewel in the roughBoJoProductions is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

do you still produce under this name? Think you're gonna be interfering with my day job at [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
if you carry on with this nonsense
BoJoProductions is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 01:50 AM   #12
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Lotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond repute
Earth
MC Status: 2810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar Joe View Post
Low pass square wave.
and in reason, there is that pulveriser demolition... i use a lot with tube preamp dist... and low pass sq wave... so much fun!!! lol :badger:

Advertisements

------------------
Lotus_Jewel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote