Depeche Mode / Nine Inch Nails which do you prefer and why?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Industrial / EBM / Power Electronics Discussion of music similar to Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle.

Old 23-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
bailey delta
Minor Glitch
bailey delta has a spectacular aura aboutbailey delta has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Just joined the site due to an interest in electronic/industrial music.

I have been a massive Depeche Mode fan for many years and rate them above any other band, but think that Nine Inch Nails have also done some fantastic music and are right up there.
Wondered if anyone else listens to and likes both bands on here, who they prefer and why?

Discuss

Last edited by bailey delta; 23-12-2013 at 08:30 PM..

Advertisements

bailey delta is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts
Re: Depeche Mode / Nine Inch Nails which do you prefer and why?

Nine Inch Nails music is typically more syncopated and therefore easier to dance to and feel good to even if the lyrics are devastating. Many of the remixes are surprising and amazing. Depeche Mode has also made some great tunes, but they are more pensive and some of the annoying tunes are club oriented mainstream crap which sucks because DM can really do better than that.

Alan Wilder of Recoil is like right inbetween the two. He used to be in DM but dropped out to become Recoil and does some really dark and twisted electro stuff. But some of it is great.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
bailey delta
Minor Glitch
bailey delta has a spectacular aura aboutbailey delta has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfiledVegan View Post
Nine Inch Nails music is typically more syncopated and therefore easier to dance to and feel good to even if the lyrics are devastating. Many of the remixes are surprising and amazing. Depeche Mode has also made some great tunes, but they are more pensive and some of the annoying tunes are club oriented mainstream crap which sucks because DM can really do better than that.

Alan Wilder of Recoil is like right inbetween the two. He used to be in DM but dropped out to become Recoil and does some really dark and twisted electro stuff. But some of it is great.
Interesting post.
I like some of the recoil stuff. I have the albums but havent listened to them for a long time.
I always felt Depeche Mode would be easier to dance to then Nine Inch Nails.
I think Depeche Modes music varies greater, where they have been around for a long time.
Ever listened to the Depeche Mode album "Songs Of Faith And Devotion"? Worth a listen if you havent.
Thanks to bailey delta
Nystagmus (02-06-2014)
Old 28-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
vx cheerleader
Microknight
vx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MC
MC Status: 39034

I was pretty sure I had posted something. Is there a rule about metaphors on this board ? Just wondering.

------------------
vx cheerleader is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #5
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey delta View Post
Interesting post.
I like some of the recoil stuff. I have the albums but havent listened to them for a long time.
I always felt Depeche Mode would be easier to dance to then Nine Inch Nails.
I think Depeche Modes music varies greater, where they have been around for a long time.
Ever listened to the Depeche Mode album "Songs Of Faith And Devotion"? Worth a listen if you havent.
Yeah that's a great album! Thanks

------------------

Old 28-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
bailey delta
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vx cheerleader View Post
I was pretty sure I had posted something. Is there a rule about metaphors on this board ? Just wondering.
Im new to the site, but I dont think so
Old 28-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
vx cheerleader
Microknight
vx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MC

Well, then my question just vanished into thin air, I guess.

So here it comes again : "do you prefer apple or oranges ?" ( adding some explanation for those who would not understand the meaning of the question : [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
)

------------------
Old 28-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
v.kulla
Regular Freak
v.kulla has a spectacular aura aboutv.kulla has a spectacular aura about

Nin all the way. Because....less fur coats and champagne glamour and more of simple, honest pubescent anxiety. But that`s just my opinion, can`t say anything destructive about either one.
v.kulla is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
Sencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MC
The Nung River
MC Status: 89278973
Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,169 Posts

__________ is way fuckin better. _________ suck!

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by antenna View Post
What is this vile sencesorcery? Be gone with ye, witch!
Sencesor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sencesor
GomesR (28-12-2013)
Old 28-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
v.kulla
Regular Freak
v.kulla has a spectacular aura aboutv.kulla has a spectacular aura about

Sorry for the OT, but what`s the point of ranting about the meaninglessness of comparison between objects that can`t be compared in an objective manner, when the question was a simple wish for opinions? If you lack opinion on the topic, then there`s no point of expressing anything.
v.kulla is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to v.kulla
Nystagmus (28-12-2013)
Old 28-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
vx cheerleader
Microknight

Who cares about objectivity ? I'm saying in my own view of things (and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone), NIN and DM are just so totally different they can't be compared, because, well, it's not the same thing. I have a lot of opinions on both bands, and on how they can't be compared (different use of guitars, different use of synths, different lyrics, different vocal style, and on, and on, and on, and on...)

But to be honest, I do prefer NIN, on a purely subjective basis. Probably because I like harsh, fast, violent stuff, in general - qualities which are quite generally absent in Depeche Mode. But saying I prefer one band because it belongs to one genre I prefer, over another genre is just like saying, well, I prefer apple over oranges.

------------------
Old 28-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

I prefer songs about citric acid by NIN over songs about vitamin A by Depeche Mode.

------------------

Old 28-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
Sencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MC
The Nung River

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.kulla View Post
Sorry for the OT, but what`s the point of ranting about the meaninglessness of comparison between objects that can`t be compared in an objective manner, when the question was a simple wish for opinions? If you lack opinion on the topic, then there`s no point of expressing anything.

Oh don't mind me, I'm just fappin around.

------------------
Quote:
Old 05-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
SocialNumb
Soundwave Mangler
SocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MCSocialNumb is a savage MC
Boyton, WPB FL.
MC Status: 32849

Hey guys, Duke Ellington & His Orchestra / Menace Beach which do you prefer and why?

------------------
It's not that Im anti-social, I just don't like you!
SocialNumb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #15
bailey delta
Minor Glitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialNumb View Post
Hey guys, Duke Ellington & His Orchestra / Menace Beach which do you prefer and why?
Your name explains everything. Nobody cares what you think. Start a thread elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.kulla View Post
Thats your lack there if you dont think you can compare 2 bands when others on here have managed

Quote:
Who cares about objectivity ? I'm saying in my own view of things (and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone), NIN and DM are just so totally different they can't be compared, because, well, it's not the same thing. I have a lot of opinions on both bands, and on how they can't be compared (different use of guitars, different use of synths, different lyrics, different vocal style, and on, and on, and on, and on...)

But to be honest, I do prefer NIN, on a purely subjective basis. Probably because I like harsh, fast, violent stuff, in general - qualities which are quite generally absent in Depeche Mode. But saying I prefer one band because it belongs to one genre I prefer, over another genre is just like saying, well, I prefer apple over oranges.
Apples and Oranges are both fruits. Think about it!

Last edited by lolirl; 06-01-2014 at 02:44 PM..
Old 06-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #16
vx cheerleader
Microknight

Yes, and tomato too. Makes me think a lot about how an image/comparison cannot be used as a literal statement, actually. Anyway...

Another reason one could like NIN better than Depeche Mode (and I guess this actually applies to me, probably in a rather unconscious way) would be the awful image DM had in the 80's. When I was a teen, DM was, more or less, considered as a gay band for teenage girls and male hairdressers. Which isn't right, I'm talking about the public image.

On the other hand, now the 80's are "cool" (especially for the young ones who didn't even remotely live in that age...), maybe the polarity has reversed...

------------------
Old 06-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #17
bailey delta
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Yes, and tomato too. Makes me think a lot about how an image/comparison cannot be used as a literal statement, actually. Anyway...

Another reason one could like NIN better than Depeche Mode (and I guess this actually applies to me, probably in a rather unconscious way) would be the awful image DM had in the 80's. When I was a teen, DM was, more or less, considered as a gay band for teenage girls and male hairdressers. Which isn't right, I'm talking about the public image.

On the other hand, now the 80's are "cool" (especially for the young ones who didn't even remotely live in that age...), maybe the polarity has reversed...
Only you have mentioned image. Think you may have over complicated the question for yourself.
Have you seen Trent when in Exotic Birds?
I just asked who people preferred and why, which could have been said for any band, whether similar or not.
But I asked about who people liked more, between two acts that use keyboards alot and who have used sampling.

Surprised you do not think there is some similarity in some of the music of. Listen to the beat of Home from Depeche Mode and then listen to Me Im Not by Nine Inch Nails. Enough said there
Old 06-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #18
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
The Nung River

Hardcore

------------------
Quote:
Old 06-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #19
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47410

I can't choose one over the other, as I go back and forth between the two bands on a weekly basis when listening to remixes. For my music catalog, both are pretty essential. I do prefer Depeche Mode's vocals, however. But then Trent was going for something different there. Anway, I actually think post-Vince Clarke Depeche Mode is a lot better than the band when he was with them. Not that Vince didn't do cool shit with Erasure and Allison Moyet.
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #20
FTD
Master of the LFO
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3463355

Nine Inch Nails, one of the most over rated bands ever. Shite

Advertisements

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FTD
lebeux (24-11-2014)