Cubase and linux? will they work?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 25-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
valom
Minor Glitch
valom will become famous soon enoughvalom will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Cubase and linux? will they work?

so, I am thinking about going to linux, ( I got 7 now) will cubase work in linux?
I currently use cubase 5

Advertisements

valom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts
Re: Cubase and linux? will they work?

Not that I know of.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #3
KrisM
Ghostly
KrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond repute
TX
MC Status: 7964

What part of Cubase's system requirements mention Linux?

You might be able to get it working under WINE, but the elicenser stuff might be troublesome. You'll be relying completely on other users to help you get it running, and in the end it might not anyway.

You could try VirtualBox (and install the USB plugin to use your Steinberg Key) with a Windows install, but that sorta defeats the purpose.

You'd be better off switching to a Linux DAW if you went to Linux, to be perfectly honest.
KrisM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237429

It can almost certainly be made to work.

Can you make it work is another matter entirely.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Empty Reach
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648

I think the computer will explode
Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #6
PrimeSuspect
Minor Glitch
PrimeSuspect has a spectacular aura aboutPrimeSuspect has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

No, it doesnt. If you go to Linux - download LMMS
PrimeSuspect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 02:53 AM   #7
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

i am not sure. You need a testbed system and some demo installers. Dont erase win7, but learn how to make a dual boot system. You will need partition backups in case you accidentally erase your os(es). It might work partially, it depends on how simply they programmed it and which version of wine used. It would be a cool combo if it worked. You will need to copy all windows fonts into wine's fake c: windows fonts folder. I suggest wine-staging on ubuntu studio and later kxstudio repos excluding the lucid linux parts. Lucid is too old, trusty and later are ok. It's a lot to learn, youll need a lot of internet access. If i could afford cubase i would try it on both halves of a dual boot or on a spare used (desktop) computer.

Advertisements

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote