Jeskola Buzz users - Convince me
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 09-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960
Jeskola Buzz users - Convince me

Hello all !

Yet another kinda-vague-newbie-question thread from yours truly, as the beat battles made me ""produce"" stuff more often and iterface with my daw and boxes more ""seriously"".

So, currently, I use Reaper. It's still free for me, it works well. I don't know it inside and out and some things are still unintuitive, but it's ok.

However, I remember a friend of mine - who is a serious producer ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
) - recommending me Buzz especially for experimental-ish stuff. I looked at it and never used it.
However I am now reconsidering ... Do we have any buzz users here ? anything very specific you find great (or horrible) about the software ? I know I could just try it, but I'd like to know in advance of any idiosyncrasies to look forward to (or to avoid)

Thanks !

------------------

Reposted after deletion (didn't post it in the right section)

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
Evelon
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214387348
Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,736 Posts
Re: Jeskola Buzz users - Convince me

It's insanely vast, even today. It's got a "MS Word 95" look, but don't be fooled. What got me hooked in (around) 2000 is the endless possibilities. It's a "modular tracker". Only the imagination is setting the limits. I was also heavily into Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, etc at the time and making intricate IDM/glitch/breaks/blips and blops was/is so easy.

As a sound design tool and overall experimental and having fun, it's awesome. Since it's a tracker, the learning curve can be steep - especially in programming beats, rhythms, melodies, chords, etc. The fact that it uses hexadecimal (like all good 'ol trackers do) can be a bit frightening. Learning the key-commands is essential.
But if you have experience in trackers then just go ahead and dive right in. You can connect pretty much anything to anything, and having parallel fx-chains (two or multiple ones) can not be made easier. You have as many LFOs as you want, controlling anything. You can do generative composition. You can morph, breed and randomize between parameters (on ANY VST/VSTi), thus enabling you to create completely new sounds from just two presets. Etc, etc.

Last edited by Evelon; 09-28-2016 at 08:46 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
Chozo Tull (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 09:23 PM   #3
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 24810

Yea.. everything he said.

I made a few tracks with it a while back. Definitely a cool experience. Not for the faint of heart. I would also say that you need to be the type person who is into getting unexpected results a lot. You have an insane amount of control (per note automation of everything basically), so really the only reason to use it is if you want to get crazy stuff going IMO. It's pretty much one of the most hardcore DAWs around.

If you are indeed a noob, might be better to stick with a more conventional DAW. You will probably learn how to do all the typical tasks quicker this way, and get a better grasp of sound design, composing, and arranging in the way that most people think of it. I say "might" because you would definitely learn a lot using buzz.

If you do mess with it, you will maybe end up missing some features that regular DAWs do well. Arranging audio is probably the biggest one. Nothing's going to compare with havin a big waveform in front of you and chopping it up and moving it around. There might be a Buzz answer to this, I'm not the most well versed. And just stuff like mixing. Although you can do all kinds of crazy routing in buzz, it's going to be more efficient and organized in a typical DAW.

I think a good alternative is Renoise. It's a really terrific piece of software. It has a lot more features that a typical DAW would have. Trackers are their own thing, and it's worth giving one a shot to see if it clicks with you.

Good luck man

------------------
mnkvolcno is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
Chozo Tull (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 09:49 PM   #4
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46079914
Thanked 1,225 Times in 825 Posts

buzz is fantastic and for me it combines the modular aspects of reaktor and the flexibility of renoise and plogue.

on the other hand, i rarely use it on 90% of what i do because most of the stuff i learned in buzz can easily be achieved in live. i visit it for outlandish feedback loops and just ffor fun mostly. it is really really impressiv on low end machines (which i use) and it sounds fantastic. it might even have the best audio engines i know.

cant and wwont convince you. reaper is fine, i bet i could do the dshit i do now in reaper given some time with it. i dont see the need to switch engines. why should you?

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ab
Chozo Tull (09-28-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
st3aLth
Sample Destroyer
st3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2260

I'am buzz user :ROFL: You know Jeskola Buzz has it's own hw comp,hw eq's,etc. you know
st3aLth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:10 AM   #6
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6893359
Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,994 Posts

Great: Everything that doesn't crash Buzz.

Not Great: Everything that crashes Buzz.

I love Buzz. It's one of the coolest things ever. It's a shame the source was lost (wouldn't happen today now there's git) because it would have been open sourced and then spawned a whole bunch of amazing technology.

I haven't used it for years but I do remember having to make a note of certain modules, parameters or routing configurations to ensure that I avoid them because there are a lot of things that will reliably crash. Chronic Ctrl + S did help with this. Except sometimes you'd hit Ctrl + S after doing something that will cause a crash. And then you've fudged it.

Then again, randomness and weirdness abounds and there were heaps of times I would set up a loop in Buzz then plug in the record and come back in an hour to a bunch of random shit.

People compare it to Reaktor a lot (I think it's the interface) but I've never really witnessed Reaktor be as unpredictable as Buzz. Don't get me wrong. Reaktor can be random. But it's programmed randomness. You could download any module from the user library and fire it up and it would sound super weird and organic. But if you listen to it for long enough you'll eventually find the pattern...

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:58 AM   #7
st3aLth
Sample Destroyer
st3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond repute

There's also clones of Jeskola Buzz

for example Aldrin: Powerful, Modular Sequencer-Tracker for Linux :rofl:

Last edited by st3aLth; 10-23-2016 at 11:01 AM..
Old 10-23-2016, 05:59 AM   #8
st3aLth
Sample Destroyer

Another one clone of Jeskola Buzz is BuzE
Visit this link if interested [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Cool thing about BuzE you can edit Fonts to Mono Fonts I cant explain but they look so polished you know

Last edited by st3aLth; 10-23-2016 at 11:02 AM..

Advertisements