If your computer died, but the hard drive is good...
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements


Reply
Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2016, 12:34 AM   #1
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Stich's Avatar
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
Age: 51
Posts: 2,164
MC Status: 47360
Thanks: 666
Thanked 947 Times in 720 Posts
If your computer died, but the hard drive is good...

So all of your goodies on your hard drive are safe. Whew! But that computer is dead as a door nail. What to do? Of course you put the old drive in an external case and plug it into a living computer. But what the hell, where is your stuff? GODDAMMIT!!!!


It's the Windows Permissions my friend.

Select your external drive (usually drive F) with a right click.
Click Edit to open the Permissions for <Object> dialog box.
Change the permissions so that Everyone can see the files, which since this is your goddamned fucking computer means you.

Then, return to your external hard drive and dive into the Users folder. You'll see the user you used to be and all of the shit subfolders will be in there, documents, downloads, Music, whatever the fuck.

You're welcome.

Advertisements

Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 02:26 AM   #2
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Nystagmus's Avatar
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
Posts: 3,801
MC Status: 65360
Thanks: 3,367
Thanked 1,307 Times in 986 Posts
Re: If your computer died, but the hard drive is good...

Back when I was on Windows. I had a lot of trouble with permissions. It made me rather mad.
I even considered installing Windows onto FAT32 just because it can't cope with security permissions and just ignores them/doesn't implement them. If it weren't for the 4GB file size limit I wouldn't done it. There were some guides on the internet of how to accomplish it.

The idea of a user not being able to edit his/her own system just really ticks me off.
Also I hate how Vista and later started hiding the actual administrator status from the typical user.
If i'm the admin, let me be the goddamn admin! Enough with the charades!

Puppy Linux creators had it right: if you're the only one who uses your computer, you should have all the power to do whatever you like. So Puppy Linux boots up as "root" no matter what. And the nice thing is, you can use Puppy Linux to read other drives and it lets you use them as you like because it gives you "root" privileges.

That's how I ended up on Linux... I realised that I could do more with my Linux utility/emergency discs. So eventually I was like, "Hmmm, maybe I should just use a system like this!". And eventually that's what I did.

First I tried a Puppy Studio disc that had Reaper installed on it. It worked even after I upgraded Reaper. But Puppy Studio was vaporware based upon Ubuntu Studio. So it led me to Ubuntu Studio and out of Puppy Linux.

I still have to mess around with some permissions every so often to edit system files, but it's not too complex anymore. You just have to know the "magic word"... ("sudo").

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 03:08 AM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
A.M's Avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 8,820
MC Status: 163610
Thanks: 9,486
Thanked 3,272 Times in 2,442 Posts
Re: If your computer died, but the hard drive is good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
Back when I was on Windows. I had a lot of trouble with permissions. It made me rather mad.
I even considered installing Windows onto FAT32 just because it can't cope with security permissions and just ignores them/doesn't implement them. If it weren't for the 4GB file size limit I wouldn't done it. There were some guides on the internet of how to accomplish it.

The idea of a user not being able to edit his/her own system just really ticks me off.
Also I hate how Vista and later started hiding the actual administrator status from the typical user.
If i'm the admin, let me be the goddamn admin! Enough with the charades!

Puppy Linux creators had it right: if you're the only one who uses your computer, you should have all the power to do whatever you like. So Puppy Linux boots up as "root" no matter what. And the nice thing is, you can use Puppy Linux to read other drives and it lets you use them as you like because it gives you "root" privileges.

That's how I ended up on Linux... I realised that I could do more with my Linux utility/emergency discs. So eventually I was like, "Hmmm, maybe I should just use a system like this!". And eventually that's what I did.

First I tried a Puppy Studio disc that had Reaper installed on it. It worked even after I upgraded Reaper. But Puppy Studio was vaporware based upon Ubuntu Studio. So it led me to Ubuntu Studio and out of Puppy Linux.

I still have to mess around with some permissions every so often to edit system files, but it's not too complex anymore. You just have to know the "magic word"... ("sudo").
Yeah, I know what you mean, N..I've been having this secrete love affair with Linux now for more than a few years, which ended a couple of years ago, when I basically moved from Linux Mint over to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit in order to use some of the cool VSTs that are out there..and which are, sadly, not available on Linux.

I know you can run stuff via the like of Wine, but I always found that a bit of a hit and miss affair..sometime it worked..other times it failed to work completely. And then there was the whole "Jack" audio thing...had issues running stuff with that, too. All in all, my experience with Linux has been a bit shaky, but enjoyable none the less.

The only major gripe I have about Linux is it seems to have been born from Nerds for Nerds..and it seems it's taken for granted that anyone whose going downloads a distro is going to be a Nerd as well..which obviously is not the case! It's maddening that nobody has made a distro that just fecking RUNS without any of the teething issues most distros throw at you.

I get that each distro is different and being worked on by different people, with different levels of expertise and funds, but you'd think they would all have worked out by now how to put the best of all of them into one package that actually works out of the box, that doesn't need you to code shit in order to install it and get it run.

That's probably the only saving grace of Windows and Apple's OS..that shit just installs with one click and runs smoothly there after. With Linux, it's tweak this and set that and tell your computer to do this..and then it might work for you.

I know this sounds really negative..but I'm not trying to be, just basically saying I think Linux still has some ways to go yet before the mainstream jumps over on board and embraces it big time. And, tbh, I can't wait..the sooner Linux get's it shit together, the better.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Nystagmus (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 12:11 AM   #4
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Nystagmus's Avatar
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
Posts: 3,801
MC Status: 65360
Thanks: 3,367
Thanked 1,307 Times in 986 Posts
Icon6 Re: If your computer died, but the hard drive is good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean, N..I've been having this secrete love affair with Linux now for more than a few years, which ended a couple of years ago, when I basically moved from Linux Mint over to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit in order to use some of the cool VSTs that are out there..and which are, sadly, not available on Linux.

I know you can run stuff via the like of Wine, but I always found that a bit of a hit and miss affair..sometime it worked..other times it failed to work completely. And then there was the whole "Jack" audio thing...had issues running stuff with that, too. All in all, my experience with Linux has been a bit shaky, but enjoyable none the less.

The only major gripe I have about Linux is it seems to have been born from Nerds for Nerds..and it seems it's taken for granted that anyone whose going downloads a distro is going to be a Nerd as well..which obviously is not the case! It's maddening that nobody has made a distro that just fecking RUNS without any of the teething issues most distros throw at you.

I get that each distro is different and being worked on by different people, with different levels of expertise and funds, but you'd think they would all have worked out by now how to put the best of all of them into one package that actually works out of the box, that doesn't need you to code shit in order to install it and get it run.

That's probably the only saving grace of Windows and Apple's OS..that shit just installs with one click and runs smoothly there after. With Linux, it's tweak this and set that and tell your computer to do this..and then it might work for you.

I know this sounds really negative..but I'm not trying to be, just basically saying I think Linux still has some ways to go yet before the mainstream jumps over on board and embraces it big time. And, tbh, I can't wait..the sooner Linux get's it shit together, the better.
I get what you are saying. I don't really disagree with it.

It really is kind of a cultural thing I think. And also, some distros are easier than others, that's for sure. And even within distros, some versions or flavors are easier than others.

The main thing that gets me down about Linux is the implied expectation that nearly every system will be tethered to the internet for downloads and updates. It seems pretty hard to troubleshoot certain Linux distro issues without an internet connection to rely upon.

Also, the Ubuntu Forums support website is somewhat daunting in that there are so many people requesting help with various problems and the amount of people helping seems to be less than that. And that's one of the main forums out there.

I think more of us who have had success need to share our results and our procedures so that others can benefit. I'm still in the process of trying to share my results. I need to find a file hosting site for the screenshots I made and archived.

Anyways, I do get what you are saying. Progress is somewhat slow.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
A.M (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 01:23 AM   #5
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
A.M's Avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 8,820
MC Status: 163610
Thanks: 9,486
Thanked 3,272 Times in 2,442 Posts
Re: If your computer died, but the hard drive is good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
I get what you are saying. I don't really disagree with it.

It really is kind of a cultural thing I think. And also, some distros are easier than others, that's for sure. And even within distros, some versions or flavors are easier than others.

The main thing that gets me down about Linux is the implied expectation that nearly every system will be tethered to the internet for downloads and updates. It seems pretty hard to troubleshoot certain Linux distro issues without an internet connection to rely upon.

Also, the Ubuntu Forums support website is somewhat daunting in that there are so many people requesting help with various problems and the amount of people helping seems to be less than that. And that's one of the main forums out there.

I think more of us who have had success need to share our results and our procedures so that others can benefit. I'm still in the process of trying to share my results. I need to find a file hosting site for the screenshots I made and archived.

Anyways, I do get what you are saying. Progress is somewhat slow.
Actually, I'm going to be a bit of a bastard and turn the tables on you, by saying in fact progress has been pretty good. My bad for not being clearer in my post before, but I was mainly referring to using Linux mainly for music production. Even though it's come a long way, I personally still think it sucks ass on that front..and tell me, why do most of the music plugs in Linux look like shit? I mean, can't these guys put together a half-arsed GUI for Christ's sake! It's like they never made it out of the DOS years and are still stuck back there.

Sorry..I'm doing it again, aren't I..

For the record, I have this little Acer Aspire One netbook hooked up to our T.V..mainly to use the VPN service we subscribed to and that's running Linux. It was the "elementary" OS for ages..loved it's simplicity and it was pretty smooth on the eye, too. Then only last week I decided to give the Zorin OS a try..been hearing a lot of good things about it for a while and wanted to see what it was like myself.

Long story short..Zorin is good, too..bot not as fast on the netbook as elementary was, so I can see myself switching back over again down the line, but for not I'll continue with Zorin..just in case it's a matter of updating something or something like that.

Advertisements


------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can external hard drives be read with a USB hard drive reader? fluoroheart Technology & Lifestyle 4 06-04-2014 01:09 AM
Will putting all ableton content on external SSD drive fix hard drive overload??? iliveinmyguitar The Studio 15 26-08-2013 09:07 AM
I've got my eye on an external hard drive MrScorpio Technology & Lifestyle 12 06-03-2012 06:13 PM
Hard drive recovery Unique Beats Technology & Lifestyle 13 09-02-2012 11:01 PM
Hard Drive Recovery depricode Technology & Lifestyle 11 08-02-2012 09:31 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:13 PM.


Electronic Music Forums

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.