Is $599.99 too much for a Kontakt VI Plug?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 02-06-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 156010
Thanked 3,120 Times in 2,325 Posts
Is $599.99 too much for a Kontakt VI Plug?

I just saw that Sample Logic have recently launched their new Kontakt VI "CINEMORPHX", that comes with a $599.99 price tag!

I know it sounds AMAZING and it comes with 30 GB of sounds / presets..but am I the only one who thinks something that costs so much should let you at least import your own sounds? From what I can gather this bit of kit doesn't..so you're basically locked into what comes with it..and possible expansion packs later down the line.

Don't get me wrong..I'm not knocking this product in any way..just the whole move towards more and more costly Kontakt plugins that are basically just sample libraries after all..even though they are often referred to as VIs.

SO..what do you guys think? Are programs like this a rip off and totally over-priced..or do you think they're worth the money?

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:42 AM   #2
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644068
Thanked 4,896 Times in 3,160 Posts
Re: Is $599.99 too much for a Kontakt VI Plug?

So basically, after watching the video, it seems they packaged up three discontinued products they weren't selling anyway, bundled them with a layering tool that fades sounds in and out based on cursor position, added some envelopes and jacked the price?

Something comes to mind about a fool and his money that I can't quite place but I'm sure it applies.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
So basically, after watching the video, it seems they packaged up three discontinued products they weren't selling anyway, bundled them with a layering tool that fades sounds in and out based on cursor position, added some envelopes and jacked the price?

Something comes to mind about a fool and his money that I can't quite place but I'm sure it applies.
Yeah..I initially has the same thought about it, but like I said, it seems to only let you work with those sounds that come with it..you can't import your own. It seems most of the stuff out there made for Kontakt doesn't let you import your own sound files, but..from what I've been told..it's not that this can't be done, but more a case of it being hard or tricky to do.

That said, I think what basically irks me is that fact these sound libraries are more and more being passed off as "instruments", with price tags that match a "real" synth. I mean, there's overheads involved in making hardware..and even with a soft-synth it's price can be justified by its usefulness and ability it gives you to explore and tinker with sound..but these kind of products seem to me to be slightly more limited in their scope, in that all you what you will ever be able to do is already predetermined by the sounds they've bundled with it.

LSS, I think they should be selling things like this for a much lower price.

------------------
Old 02-06-2016, 08:55 AM   #4
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 146060
Thanked 2,921 Times in 1,760 Posts

This is not worth six hundred dollars of good dope.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 111010
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,297 Posts

$599.99 for a Kontakt library? That's the most expensive one I've seen. Even Komplete bundle or Omnisphere 2 are cheaper and you get even more out of them, almost infinite resources. I don't mind Kontakt libraries when it comes to real instruments like pianos, strings - always a high quality sampling source. But when it comes to sound design and more twisted sounds, it's a waste of money. Even their demo sucks. That GUI is ugly and pointless, you can automate that tiny square and fade between samples, cool. So much restrictions within Kontakt and putting your own samples into it requires too much effort.

Also, 30gb of samples for this price isn't a lot, there should be at least 80gb of shit that you'll never use. Like in typical rompler.

Last edited by ms_; 02-06-2016 at 10:22 AM..

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
A.M (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #6
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42610

Keep in mind that you also pay for the accessibility of the samples. Omnisphere 2 comes with 50 GB of samples, and part of what makes it so cool is the way you can navigate them, especially using the sound match feature.

That being said, one difference between this product and Omnisphere is that it has 4 sound cores instead of two oscillators that you can morph via an xy pad. While that doesn't sound like much, working with Blue 2, I've really come to appreciate the functionality of a programmable xy pad to morph sounds. It's a really powerful sound sculpting tool and something that would require some tedious automation to replicate.

My initial thought is that you can probably get much of the functionality from Omnisphere running two instances of the latter. But Omnisphere lets you upload your own samples and offers a wealth of sound tweaking.

I can think of ways that this product here can deliver some really unique textures and do so quickly. The price tag will put it out of consideration for most, but I would hesitate to knock this one. I think it should be more competitively priced relative to Omnisphere. It's about $200 too much.

Last edited by liquid_air; 02-06-2016 at 11:43 AM..

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
A.M (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 111010
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,297 Posts

One of main selling points to me is when there's an option to load your own samples: Alchemy, Absynth, Omnisphere has that one and it opens so many possibilities for sound design because each have different granular engines.

The main problem with this Cinemorphx is that it's a rompler which runs through Kontakt; it must take ages to load all that 30gb library, unless you have a decent SDD. Not much of option for own sound design and re-constructing original samples, you are only allowed to play with these pre-defined loops of synths, percussion, etc. with these typical sampler functions on top and effects (Refx Nexus comes to my mind). Of course, you get all this 30gb which might have some really cool sounds but it's all restricted within Kontakt. There are ways to extract sounds from Kontakt libraries, but as far as I remember, it's damn hard. However some third-party libraries don't use .nkx files and you can get folders with WAVs, then it's your lucky day. If I ever need samples I would rather consider buying a sample pack of waves so I could put them into any soft-synth that has option to load your own samples. For example, Alchemy, where I could get even more sound twerking options than this Cinemorphx.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
A.M (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #8
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Keep in mind that you also pay for the accessibility of the samples. Omnisphere 2 comes with 50 GB of samples, and part of what makes it so cool is the way you can navigate them, especially using the sound match feature.

That being said, one difference between this product and Omnisphere is that it has 4 sound cores instead of two oscillators that you can morph via an xy pad. While that doesn't sound like much, working with Blue 2, I've really come to appreciate the functionality of a programmable xy pad to morph sounds. It's a really powerful sound sculpting tool and something that would require some tedious automation to replicate.

My initial thought is that you can probably get much of the functionality from Omnisphere running two instances of the latter. But Omnisphere lets you upload your own samples and offers a wealth of sound tweaking.

I can think of ways that this product here can deliver some really unique textures and do so quickly. The price tag will put it out of consideration for most, but I would hesitate to knock this one. I think it should be more competitively priced relative to Omnisphere. It's about $200 too much.
Yeah..that's basically my point..these things are way over-priced.

As for Omnisphere, a patch contains two layers, each can contain either a synth oscillator or a sample–based sound..and that can now be one of your own since v.2 came out. You can combine up to eight patches in a multitimbral 'multi'..while "Stack mode" allows you to layer or split multiple parts, adding crossfades, while Live mode lets a player instantly switch between..or stack up to eight..patches by way of program changes, CC commands or keyswitches.

CINEMORPHX, on the other hand, just doesn't seem as deep..though, to be fair, I don't know what its full feature set is..but the fact you can't import your own sounds is a real limitation and to my mind it would be crazy to pay so much for something that doesn't offer that, when other less costly programs do.

In short, I just think this is a bit limited and although amazing sounding, it's still basically a tweakable sound library.

------------------
Old 02-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #9
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse

It's good for projects where the money is good, time is a factor and quality isn't: jingles and shit.

I think they are aiming at studios and pro musicians that just need something ready-made that they can crank out one generic stinker after another with.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #10
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
It's good for projects where the money is good, time is a factor and quality isn't: jingles and shit.

I think they are aiming at studios and pro musicians that just need something ready-made that they can crank out one generic stinker after another with.
Yeah..most of these in this price range are aimed at that group..and they sell shit loads of em, too. I guess everyone still wants to be another Zimmer.

------------------
Old 02-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #11
Benwaa

Fuck that shit. Omnisphere 2 if you're prepared to splash that amount of cash
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
A.M (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #12
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42610

Didn't realize Omnisphere could do multiple patches... it's so deep, I'm still just scratching the surface. It's a killer VSTi

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #13
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8508230
Thanked 6,346 Times in 4,551 Posts

Yea. I'm with everyone else. Way too expensive. If it was a really nice sample library with really well recorded instruments with lots of articulation options, maybe. But that seems well over twice as much as it should cost : )

As said at that point I'd just buy Komplete or Omnisphere 2. Komplete comes with a healthy amount of Kontakt libraries.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #14
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1527027
Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,153 Posts

I would say that the price is relative.

How much money are you making on your music? This could be a reasonable deal for some, depending on the scope of the work he or she is doing.

:edit: look at this sort of thing as a set of tools, do you really need that $1000 plus table saw to build a doghouse in your garage?

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:31 PM   #15
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
I would say that the price is relative.

How much money are you making on your music? This could be a reasonable deal for some, depending on the scope of the work he or she is doing.

:edit: look at this sort of thing as a set of tools, do you really need that $1000 plus table saw to build a doghouse in your garage?
What if it is a hobby though? With no intention of making money? I'm genuinely interested in your answer, because what you said does make a lot of sense. Would you say someone who is a hobbyist wood worker needs that 1000 dollar saw ? I'm just curious because most of us aren't even trying to make money from our music.

I mean, if I were just banging together a quick dog house so my dog can get out of the rain. Sure I don't need that saw.

------------------
Thanks to relic
chasedobson (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #16
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1527027
Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
What if it is a hobby though? With no intention of making money? I'm genuinely interested in your answer, because what you said does make a lot of sense. Would you say someone who is a hobbyist wood worker needs that 1000 dollar saw ? I'm just curious because most of us aren't even trying to make money from our music.

I mean, if I were just banging together a quick dog house so my dog can get out of the rain. Sure I don't need that saw.

At that point its a matter of value vs cost.

I know loads of musicians that would find 600 dollars worth of beer more useful.

If you're asking me my opinion, as a hobbyist it doesn't make much sense, but then I gather there are a handful of people on this forum that make a great salary and 6 bills for some new software for their hobby isn't much to worry about.

I tend to be really utilitarian w my music purchases. Before I pull the trigger I try to evaluate exactly what a new bit of gear/software is going to add to my output. Lots of times (most?) I've decided that the gain isn't worth the cash.

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #17
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
At that point its a matter of value vs cost.

I know loads of musicians that would find 600 dollars worth of beer more useful.

If you're asking me my opinion, as a hobbyist it doesn't make much sense, but then I gather there are a handful of people on this forum that make a great salary and 6 bills for some new software for their hobby isn't much to worry about.

I tend to be really utilitarian w my music purchases. Before I pull the trigger I try to evaluate exactly what a new bit of gear/software is going to add to my output. Lots of times (most?) I've decided that the gain isn't worth the cash.
I always want to know your opinion. I respect your opinion quite a bit. In my gear buying adventures I've come to the same conclusion more or less. What is this doing for me that I can't already do? Whether that is certain sounds, workflow, play-ability, tone etc.

As you said when we were talking about Microtonic versus the ER-1. For you the software just made more sense for the same result.

(Personally, I would find 600 bucks worth of beer pretty useful. It is the most inspirational drug I still use lol.)

------------------
Thanks to relic
chasedobson (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #18
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Bottom line is if you handed me those DVD's for free, I'd say "hey thanks" and then use them as shims.

One man's garbage...
Old 02-06-2016, 11:42 PM   #19
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153410
Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,151 Posts

I wouldn't spend more than $99 on a discontinued-products bundle. And for that amount of money, I'd just buy a copy of FL Studio with all available plugins just for the sake of rewiring and get way more use out of it than a Kontakt library.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:46 PM   #20
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Let's link Sample Logic to this thread...

Advertisements