Going Macbook
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 525520
Going Macbook

So this weekend I finally caved in and bought the high end MacBook Pro after being strictly PC

i7 2.8ghz quad-core
16gb ram
Intel iris pro graphics + AMD RadeonR9 M370X

I decided on this over a ADK Pro Audio custom laptop mainly bc I didn't find the ordering process helpful at ADK's website, a call to their sales was not returned even though they repeatedly state "call our sales team instead of ordering online"

Seems like a good company tho, maybe just a bit disorganized and I didn't want to deal with their hours of operation vs mine (west coast time vs east coast) and their flakiness if I needed a support. At least with the macbook I'm having it delivered to a store close by and I can take it back there if there is issues.

Time is money

Either way, I'm hoping to escape the glitchy and crowded (too many random windows only VSTs I hardly use but for some reason keep collecting) world of audio production in a windows environment so I can focus on the project and not, which of my 652815 synthedit delay effects to use.

I think a clean slate and reinvention of my processes might be a good thing.

Anyone else with a current MacBook Pro as a desktop replacement?

Advertisements

agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
Zigg
Granular Poster
Zigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to all
MC Status: 560
Re: Going Macbook

I have a mac desktop as a desktop replacement. My switch over to this terrible bloated technology didn't affect my music creation process in any way. the only difference is that I can't play all the video games I used to play when I'm on break time, versus when I had a PC. If I had a choice, I'd pick Linux to create music on; however, the lack of industry leading software for music production on Linux gives me no choice at all.

#yearofthelinux

Zigg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Zigg
Kvlt O))) (06-08-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 09:17 PM   #3
Monkey P.
Analog Lurker
Monkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent View Post

Either way, I'm hoping to escape the glitchy and crowded (too many random windows only VSTs I hardly use but for some reason keep collecting) world of audio production in a windows environment so I can focus on the project and not, which of my 652815 synthedit delay effects to use.
This is your own behavior and may not change if you have a new Mac. But, maybe the new Macbook is an incentive to keep your digital work space clean. If you limit yourself in the tools you use, you might find some new creative solutions in the plugins you already own.

Have fun with it!

------------------
Monkey P. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE

^ oh yeah it's my doing for sure..

It's why I can't eat at buffets.. I just stand there hungry but not sure where to start

And yeah, along with my music, so as with my life, I'm trying to cut out the clutter.

I just hope this new MacBook Pro can handle what I toss at it
Old 22-06-2015, 11:01 PM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 47610

Yes, running a MBP as well. Not maxed out on processor or RAM. Works fine, albeit the next one will have more power. Didn't appreciate just how much of a resource hog DAWs can be.
liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
Straylight
Straylight will become famous soon enoughStraylight will become famous soon enough
North Las Vegas, USA
MC Status: 110

I'll be honest. I prefer PC for just about everything. But with music production, I do most of my work on my macbook pro (early Spring 2011 15" model with maxed out ram). Why? Because Logic Pro X is just that good imo. Looks nice, intuitive interface, runs smooth, almost never crashes, and has a great workflow for me. I've tried every other DAW and just couldn't get used to the differences, always came back to Logic, which means I'm stuck using a mac for music.

If Logic was released for PC though, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat and go back to PC. But I doubt that'll ever happen.
Straylight is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #7
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6898609
Thanked 3,388 Times in 2,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigg View Post
My switch over to this terrible bloated technology didn't affect my music creation process in any way.
Said no one about Macs for pro audio-visual ever. Dude, if you can get a DAW running stable out of the box on a fresh Windows install, no matter what you throw at it, you're living in fantasy land. Meanwhile, you can have the shittiest, most bogged down OSX install and as soon as you fire up your DAW, none of that matters.

I have no preference either way. But I will say that if you're the type of person who likes tinkering with operating system settings and dealing with crashes and performance glitches, go Windows. If you're the kind of person who doesn't care about mass specs and is interested in sitting down and working on creative stuff without worrying about all of that OS shit, use OSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straylight View Post
If Logic was released for PC though, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat and go back to PC. But I doubt that'll ever happen.
LOL. Bro, Logic was originally Windows only (3.1). Well technically it was originally Amiga only, but that was when it was called C-Lab. Logic only went Mac only after Emagic was bought by Apple. That being said, there's nothing stopping you from installing Logic on a Windows computer by way of virtualisation.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
Arlyd
Minor Glitch
Arlyd is a jewel in the roughArlyd is a jewel in the roughArlyd is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I'm a big fan of starting a clean slate and reinventing my processes! I've been a VST hoarder in the past too.

I bought a Macbook Pro at the end of last year and have found it... Interesting. I love it now but it's taken me a long time to get used to! I'm also noticeably slower with it because I don't know all the shortcuts which I know for Windows and I'm trying to adjust to Logic Pro X.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

-New Macbooks do not have CD Drives: I spent hours and hours downloading the ISO images of NI's Komplete so I could reinstall it. I guess you could plug in a USB CD drive though.
-The Hard Drive spaces aren't great... I'm hoping you bought a decent one.
-They're not great for games.

I think my favorite feature is the "maximize window" option. It hides everything else on your screen, the clock, dock, battery life. Everything is hidden until you move your mouse until the top. It really helps with distractions!.

I'm confident yours will handle whatever you throw at it - As I'm sure you know, loads of people use Macs.
Arlyd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #9
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519380
Thanked 6,569 Times in 4,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Said no one about Macs for pro audio-visual ever. Dude, if you can get a DAW running stable out of the box on a fresh Windows install, no matter what you throw at it, you're living in fantasy land. Meanwhile, you can have the shittiest, most bogged down OSX install and as soon as you fire up your DAW, none of that matters.

I have no preference either way. But I will say that if you're the type of person who likes tinkering with operating system settings and dealing with crashes and performance glitches, go Windows. If you're the kind of person who doesn't care about mass specs and is interested in sitting down and working on creative stuff without worrying about all of that OS shit, use OSX.

I am probably going to make my next production machine a Mac. However, I have been running a Windows 7 64 bit Pro machine with zero issues for going on six years and it takes some effort to max out the resources in my DAW. I spend no time tweaking settings and it always works and never crashes.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #10
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13410

I switched over to MBP last year for all things creative i.e. Music/Video/painting etc and I couldn't be more happy. I use my pc (my old workstation) for gaming and watching vids. For music production, Mac is certainly the way to go. It just works. No fiddeling.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #11
tygrmusic
Regular Freak
tygrmusic will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I have recently switched to macbook, and there are a couple of notable things you want to bare in mind.

1) MacOS has its own file formats. Not necceceraly for things like Ableton, but sound files and other. The encoding makes it impossible for files to be transferred onto a USB or drive unless it is FAT-32 formatted or specifically for MacOS. This can suck if you have large files like mixes or videos of sets that you want to move from mac to windows and vice versa, but I only use my mac now so this isnt a problem. Note that it is possible to IMPORT files from any drive to a mac, its problems with EXPORTING that will occur.

2) Logic Pro X and Garage Band are two great softwares, but I find that just like FL Studio, being limited to one operating system can be limiting and annoying. Ableton hasnt got this issue as it works on OS and Windows making it great if you are collabing or working on two diffferent systems.

3) Macs are super speedy and great for music production and DJinig. As long as you dont spam your computer with games and useless apps and files, your computer will run super smooth even on 64bit plug ins and DAWS

4) Some plug ins work so much better on mac, some work worse. There is far less free plug ins to download, but they tend to be far more solid and wel built for some reason. I did struggle with Windows to Mac change slightly, as I had couple of amazing plug ins (Including EDM Piano) which i couldnt get on Mac. Bummer. You might need to find some reeplacements

Otherwise, if you can afford it, go for it! Hope I helped, ask any questions if you like !
tygrmusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:24 AM   #12
agent
Deep Underground
SEATTLE

Well I got my MBP months ago...

I like it, runs fine, top of the line, still not as powerful as I'd like but I aint paying $10, 000 for one of those fancy studio Macs or PCs. Keeps me balanced I guess.

I'm happy

Theres always pluses and minuses, as far as the loss of VSTs. the only thing I'm really missing is my Spectrasonics RMX, which I have on CD and have yet to get a external drive.
Old 27-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #13
Luke_Nukem
Granular Poster
Luke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really nice
MC Status: 360

I made the switch last year for many of the same reasons as yourself.

None of my old projects would work on Mac as I got rid of their VST's so it was a cathartic process going through all my old tunes, bouncing out elements worth keeping and ditching the rest. I now have a huge sample library which is all of my own creations!

My idea was to strip right back and just get really good with a few tools. that didnt last long. I ended up buying Komplete and now have a wealth of options at my fingertips! Probably less than before, though and definitely of higher quality! But as someone mentioned above, no CD drive = massive download of libraries. Either buy an external or use your works internet connection if you can! Also small SSD HD on my mac is a pain in the arse. Have to store a lot externally which just isn't convenient and means more plugging in when you want to use it.

You'll also most likely need some sort of USB hub as there are never enough USB ports. I haven't found a decent one yet, I bought a cheap imitation off a chinese ebay company and it cuts its connection on and off all the time! Nightmare! Let me know if anyone knows of a decent budget USB hub!

Last edited by Jaded; 27-05-2016 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: rules are rules
Luke_Nukem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #14
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Nukem View Post
Also small SSD HD on my mac is a pain in the arse. Have to store a lot externally which just isn't convenient and means more plugging in when you want to use it.
500gb - $150:
Amazon [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

You could get a local computer dude to install it for $20.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:

satan = f i d

* I am not God.
Old 27-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #15
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1528777
Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,172 Posts

I just received my new mac and have been setting it up. I'm sad to see a native Firewire port go but 2 thunderbolt connectors and HDMI is a decent trade off.

I intend to remedy the lack of ports w this device:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I'll buy 2, mount one in my rack at home so that all of my midi and audio needs are taken care of with one long thunderbolt cable, its got enough USB IO so that I can also mount my external HD's in the rack as well... handy. The 2nd I'll carry w me on the road while touring so that I can connect via FW to the MOTU ultralites I use for playback so that I don't have to use artists laptops for development while touring.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
agent (29-05-2016)
Old 29-05-2016, 02:58 AM   #16
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
I intend to remedy the lack of ports w this device:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Well I think I just fell in love with another inanimate object

------------------
For reference:
Quote:

satan = f i d

* I am not God.
Old 30-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #17
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Well I think I just fell in love with another inanimate object

super useful, no?

------------------
Old 30-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #18
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46079964
Thanked 1,226 Times in 826 Posts

a bit of anecdotal "proof" -

all the people i know who own newer mbp (2013 and up) have had sudden failures on them (5/5 people), usually around the 24-month mark (3/5). 1 mbp shut down after an intense cleaning session (keyboard etc dry, so its really unclear why it did that). 1 mbp got a few drops of water into the keyboard which resulted in immediate shutdown. keyboard had a little wet spot, upon further inspection there was no water at all somewhere else yet the laptop had to be sent in and the total repair was around 700 euros.

the other 3 just shot down randomly and had to be "repaired" for 130-500 euros.

points of failure: keyboard, hdd. especially the keyboard repair is brutally expensive since an official dealer is forced to exchange 3 parts and the total cost is at least 650 euros. i guess you can get it cheaper and/or do it yourself, of course. if you use the laptop for your livelihood and have to wait on parts and tools from hongkong, that may be out of the question tho, ... miss 3 deadlines and you may find yourself out of clients.

so - if i were to buy an mbp, i would definitely cough up the additional euros for an extended warranty plan, or whatever apple calls it.

as i said, its anecdotal. you may or may not be lucky and have no problems at all.

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 08:03 PM   #19
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Work computers, AppleCare is a must.

Also diligent backups.

On the current gig I am on I carry 3 Macbooks (2 for Ableton, 1 for Mainstage) and the constant backing up is a part of the job. Backup to the cloud and also to an external HD. There is another layer of security for the Ableton machines in that both have the exact same sessions on them as one is used for redundancy in the event of an issue on the main. There is a fourth, and its my personal machine, it holds assets for both the Mainstage and Ableton sessions.

:edit: I dont plan for failure but do prepare for it in a cover your ass sort of scenario. if any of this data is lost I'd need to rebuild the sessions and would likely be fired.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
vashima (01-06-2016)
Old 30-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #20
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46079964
Thanked 1,226 Times in 826 Posts

absolutely

i just mentioned it because a lot of people are VERY convinced of apple quality and longevity. pc people are used to their hardware failing every now and then, but of those 5 people 4 were very surprised that their apple product failed them.

even if you are very convinced of their quality, its always a good idea to have a backup.

Advertisements

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote