Looking for a DAW for my MIDI export
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 26-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14710
Looking for a DAW for my MIDI export

So I've been an Ableton user for about 5 years now. When I got into production Ableton was by far the most interesting to me because the DAW seemed more like an instrument. I don't know, it feels more interactive than other DAWs. For recording/arranging ideas and fleshing out tunes I don't really know of any other way to work really. But what really blows about Ableton? MIDI files. MIDI fucking sucks in Ableton. At least it understands Type 1 MIDI import but you've got a lot of tracks for export? Yeah, you're fucked.

So I'm making tunes in Ableton for my hardware. There's 32 MIDI tracks on the screen sending multi-timbral MIDI to my MPC1000 and Blofeld. So I'm making a tune and once it's done I record the MIDI into the MPC via playback from Ableton. Now this works, it's clutch, and I can take my jam to a friend's house or go play an open mic anytime I want without a computer - it's rad. But what do you do to edit once it's in the MPC? Trying to come up with time saving way of managing this stuff.

I've upgraded things lately and the Blofeld and MPC have their own MIDI ports (not using the MPC as a MIDI interface anymore) and I'm going to have to get all (possible) 32 tracks into the MPC. What I was thinking would work was Ableton --> ReWire --> DAW capable of type 1 MIDI export. That way it would be latency free, swing info is easily transferred, and then I've got an editable, exportable MIDI file for the MPC. I immediately thought about Cubase but then I'd have to dongle up the world in 2015 and it seems like a hassle. Anybody do anything like this? What DAW would you recommend? How does Reaper do for this? Is it ReWire compatible? I was thinking about giving Sonar a go as well.

Btw, totally a Windows guy over here.

Advertisements

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060
Re: Looking for a DAW for my MIDI export

Both Reaper and Sonar can do this with a tiny bit of tweaking.Quite a few I know will use one fo the two just for this in their jam/live setups..Both the Reaper forum and Cakewalks should have a buhc of information just for this.On Cakewalk about a week or so ago this very same question came up..bot with live set ups and Type 1 files..should be pretty painless once you figure out what DAW to run with..just depends on which one tickles our fancy..

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14710

Yeah, I guess it's just going to be some experimenting. At least Reaper has a full license for 60 days so that should be long enough to figure out if it's a good idea. The new versions of Cubase look cool too and I've always heard good things about Sonar. Well, here's to seeing what sticks.

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #4
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagee View Post
Yeah, I guess it's just going to be some experimenting. At least Reaper has a full license for 60 days so that should be long enough to figure out if it's a good idea. The new versions of Cubase look cool too and I've always heard good things about Sonar. Well, here's to seeing what sticks.
Been with Sonar since before it was Sonar(along with ProTools old Sound Tools days) one of my favorite DAWs on the market.Sonar Artist would foot the bill if you decide to go that route.Reaper though should work..quick fiddle with the midi latency on Reaper and should be good to go.Hope it works out for yah man

Advertisements

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote