Linux DAW Suggestion
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 04-05-2015, 11:53 PM   #1
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65260
Thanked 1,305 Times in 985 Posts
Linux DAW Suggestion

EDIT: This post is now outdated; I went back to Ubuntu Studio... a low-latency kernel was needed. Lubuntu didn't seem to have this by default although it might be available as an option.

Quote:

Hey guys, some of you might remember my old clumsy threads about running a Linux DAW on Ubuntu Studio.

This is just to let you guys know, I have a more streamlined process now.

In my opinion, Ubuntu Studio is more advanced than some of the other flavors of Ubuntu, but not by a whole lot. And since it comes packed with so much stuff, it's possibly not considered lightweight anymore, even though compared to other systems it is.

What I learned is that Lubuntu is for older computers that need speed and low resource uses. That sounds more like DAW tweaking/optimizing language to me, so I transitioned from Ubuntu Studio to Lubuntu.

Lubuntu is really simple to use and is in the same family as the main Ubuntu stuff. I don't know about the kernel speed settings, but it's good enough to install Wine onto and then install REAPER onto that.

That's exactly what I did, and the latest REAPER seems to work just fine on preliminary runs. I don't have any of my older software except for freewares that I downloaded some of. I keep those on a flash drive.

So what's the point of all this?

Lubuntu works and is small and easy and you could create a streamlined DAW with it and use it's software download functions to get KXStudio parts if needed, or just update Wine and with a few things like Windows CoreFonts get up and running quite well.

The advantages are that the system is Linux and mainstream enough for Linux versions to be well supported. And it's freeware not tied to the Microsoft legacy except for the freewares you choose to install.

The other advantage is that you can run this stuff on older computers that are used and cheaper to buy.

So far so good. I'm back into making music after about 1 day of careful installs.

Peace be with you. Kindness to Humanity!
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by Nystagmus; 09-16-2015 at 02:20 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
Jaded (09-15-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 12:47 AM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 153660
Thanked 3,073 Times in 2,286 Posts
Re: Linux DAW Suggestion

In my case I tried most of them a while back and the top 3 I found I liked the most. were the following..

Linux Mint - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

This is a general OS...but it works really well as a base for music production.

AV Linux - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

This is a dedicated Music Production Distro that comes packed with just stuff you need to make music. I also liked this one due to the fact it doesn't insist on updating itself all the time, like so many other distros, but leaves that up to you to choose if you want to or not.

Tango Studio - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I liked this one best of all..it just clicked with me and ran really well on my old laptop. It comes with a load of music software..as well as other things for graphics and video editing. All round a good OS.

There are others, but you really need to try them out for yourself, as things differ from person to person, such as the system you're running the distro on..what exactly you want to do and your workflow in general.

The only thing stopping me from working with a Linux system full time is the fact that vas companies seem slow..for the most part..to release Linux ports of their stuff..and that's something you need to keep in mind, as not all programs will run smoothly in WINE.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Nystagmus (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #3
Zigg
Granular Poster
Zigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to allZigg is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Don't be a casual. Install Archlinux.
Zigg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #4
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

Thanks for the replies.

Some folks might like to know that Ubuntu-MATE is coming soon also, with the MATE desktop system.
And of course there is Xubuntu already if you like it's XFCE desktop. Technically, Xubuntu requires more RAM than Lubuntu, but it has some aesthetic advantages.

Also it's worth mentioning that you can install Pulse Audio into Lubuntu. In my Ubuntu Studio days I figured out how to configure Pulse Audio and it's actually quite OK once you read it's manuals and settings files. If you know what you are doing, it works well with the Pulse Audio Volume Control (pavucontrol). Also you can install some extra ALSA stuff if you want, and you can probably install JACK too if you want.

Last edited by Nystagmus; 04-06-2015 at 06:15 PM..

------------------

Old 04-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Evelon
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214387348
Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,736 Posts

I hear Bitwig is also Linux.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:11 AM   #6
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

I noticed recently that some of the tweaks I made to the Reaper configuration settings on Ubuntu Studio I haven't needed to do this time for some reason. In other words, Reaper runs more or less "out of the box", or you could say it "hits the ground running". This is pretty much good news. I think the Reaper devs are figuring out better default settings.

Some of my old tweaks actually made new stuff slower and less responsive and more prone to stuttering, so the only real thing to rely upon is the individual computer and it's exact settings. Every case might be unique. So the moral is, "Do what works for you".

And you can even leave out both Pulse Audio AND JACK and still run Reaper on Lubuntu or maybe Xubuntu if you have a stronger computer and need a better desktop.

Last edited by Nystagmus; 04-20-2015 at 05:22 PM..

------------------

Old 04-20-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
tripomatic
Sample Destroyer
tripomatic is a savage MCtripomatic is a savage MCtripomatic is a savage MCtripomatic is a savage MCtripomatic is a savage MCtripomatic is a savage MCtripomatic is a savage MCtripomatic is a savage MCtripomatic is a savage MCtripomatic is a savage MCtripomatic is a savage MC
Etten-Leur
MC Status: 48159

you could also consider installing Ubuntu Studio

------------------
That what doesn't Kill you................... Makes you Stronger!
tripomatic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripomatic View Post
you could also consider installing Ubuntu Studio

I already used Ubuntu Studio and found it somewhat bloated, so I switched to Lubuntu and it was a successful switch. They are very much related. The same stuff runs on both.

EDIT: The downside is that Lubuntu doesn't have a low latency kernel I don't think. But Ubuntu Studio does.

Last edited by Nystagmus; 07-17-2015 at 04:31 AM..

------------------

Old 04-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #9
Icoste
Learning The Ropes
Icoste is on a distinguished road
Grasse
MC Status: 10

I made some very interesting experiments with Renoise on Linux. A great tracker, I'm surprised how the few musicians I know don't use it, I really love it!
Icoste is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:07 PM   #10
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icoste View Post
I made some very interesting experiments with Renoise on Linux. A great tracker, I'm surprised how the few musicians I know don't use it, I really love it!
I'll second this, but I use it extensively. I have not tried Renoise 3, but the changes in it basically make #3 a sample semi modular synth.

Very cool.
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:02 PM   #11
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

Well, it's worth mentioning that Lubuntu didn't seem to have as good low latency as Ubuntu Studio, but Lubuntu didn't come with PulseAudio but Ubuntu Studio did.

Also, MIDI on Lubuntu was lagging a bit too much, but on Ubunut Studio it was really fast. I think this has to do with the latency of the kernel itself, so I ended up giving up on Lubuntu as a DAW base.

Ironically, I have temporarily gone back to Windows because FL Studio 12 has some visual issues with Ubuntu. And, I just need to spend more time on actually making music than tweaking and learning Linux.

I learned a heckuva lot, and I still prefer Linux, but there's a lot of fine print to read about it to get it working excellently for a DAW. Also, I don't want to be limited to USB Class Compliant hardware due to the drivers usually just being for Windows.

Lubuntu lived up to it's name for being "lightweight" and snappy for everything--except unfortunately not MIDI latency. Xubuntu would've been easier to deal with in some ways, but it's not as lightweight and Ubuntu Studio installs too much extra stuff.

So I crawled back to Windows and implemented some typical tweaks and optimizations like the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
configurations.

Last edited by Nystagmus; 05-19-2015 at 04:42 AM..

------------------

Old 09-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #12
buffalo
Learning The Ropes
buffalo will become famous soon enough
Buffalo
MC Status: 53

Most Ubuntu variants should include a -lowlatency kernel as an optional package. I run vanilla Ubuntu (Server) but don't run Unity. Switching to the -lowlatency kernel from -generic fixed buffer underruns I was experiencing with Jack/FFADO. `uname -a` will tell you which you are running.
buffalo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:16 AM   #13
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
Most Ubuntu variants should include a -lowlatency kernel as an optional package. I run vanilla Ubuntu (Server) but don't run Unity. Switching to the -lowlatency kernel from -generic fixed buffer underruns I was experiencing with Jack/FFADO. `uname -a` will tell you which you are running.
Thanks Buffalo. I didn't know about the optional package.

I actually have gone back to Ubuntu Studio and it's working out pretty well. I should probably delete my old posts.

I actually prefer Ubuntu Studio to Lubuntu because it seems to be better supported as well as the default low-latency kernel. It's a lot like Xubuntu running Xfce, so it's already somewhat lightweight probably.

------------------

Old 09-16-2015, 03:15 AM   #14
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6893359
Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,994 Posts

Question for Linux dudes: What is hardware support like in Linux? Like if I want to use a plug and play audio interface (like my field recorder) will it work in Linux or will I have to get some drivers or some shit and fuck around with it to get it working?

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #15
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Question for Linux dudes: What is hardware support like in Linux? Like if I want to use a plug and play audio interface (like my field recorder) will it work in Linux or will I have to get some drivers or some shit and fuck around with it to get it working?
Chances are you're going to have to screw around with it a bit..most hardware companies seem to still only offer accompanying software is the big two forms. That's the main thing that keeps me back from going full-on Linux. I guess that's where the big bucks are for all involved..after all, most things Linux are free and that's not good if you're trying to sell shit to folks like us.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Jaded (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 07:49 PM   #16
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

I wish I could be of more help. I vaguely remember a few websites which have pages which are just lists of Linux supported hardware with descriptions. You could ask around for that. I wish I could give you the link but I just don't remember.

I used to own a Zoom R8, and it's drivers/control panel were installable into Wine (the windows compatibilty thingy) so it worked within Reaper as an ASIO interface. Interestingly, if I remember correctly it also worked in regular Linux programs without a driver. So I think compatibility with Linux is sometimes better than it seems. But I no longer have that R8 so I can't re-test it for you.

What I do know for sure is that if the audio devices you use are USB Class Compliant, they will work without drivers needing to be installed in both Linux and Windows and probably MacOS too. That's how I saved myself a lot of angst. I made sure that both my MIDI keyboard and my interface are USB Class Compliant before I bought them.

But that's about all I know.

You could ask in the hardware section of [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
or in the Ubuntu Studio section. There are also other forums for different Linux distros and they'd probably provide better support like if it's KXstudio or AVlinux or something.

It's worth mentioning that I used to have an M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 and while it wasn't supported in linux by M-Audio, in Linux it's still widely support by an alternative name of it's interior hardware which is ICE1712 or ENVY24, whichever it is. i looked at my Audiophile on the printed circuit board and there was "Envy" something or other printed right on one of the large integrated chips.

That's about all I know about these things.

------------------

Old 09-17-2015, 09:11 PM   #17
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6110

Quote:
I have an old m-audio Quattro. It technically can run at 24 bit 96k, but I have only managed to get it to run 16 bit 48k under Jack. With Pulseaudio it is different story (e.g. more flexibility).

That said, I have not spent a lot of time tinkering as I only recently pulled it out of storage.

They seem to be going for as low as about 40 euro on Ebay now...

Last edited by TL072; 09-17-2015 at 09:19 PM..
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:31 AM   #18
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
I wish I could be of more help. I vaguely remember a few websites which have pages which are just lists of Linux supported hardware with descriptions. You could ask around for that. I wish I could give you the link but I just don't remember.
Nah this post was really helpful

I'm on holiday for the next week or two so I think I'll fire up some VM's and play around. I was just curious because the last time I tried Linux audio was turn of the century! Shit, I don't think I've used a GUI on any of my LuX boxes since then.

Definitely a worthy project for my time off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL072 View Post
I have an old m-audio Quattro. It technically can run at 24 bit 96k, but I have only managed to get it to run 16 bit 48k under Jack.
Yeah, not really bothered with high sample rates. Just more getting input and output

So by Jack, do you mean that you use Jack on Linux to "load" the audio interface?

------------------
For reference:
Quote:

satan = f i d

* I am not God.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:39 AM   #19
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Chances are you're going to have to screw around with it a bit..most hardware companies seem to still only offer accompanying software is the big two forms. That's the main thing that keeps me back from going full-on Linux. I guess that's where the big bucks are for all involved..after all, most things Linux are free and that's not good if you're trying to sell shit to folks like us.
I'm kind of interested at the moment because I really want to start doing some fun sound projects. I'm getting backing into coding at the moment, and I'm really wanting to start doing some hardware stuff with music because I'm missing something from my rig, but I don't think it exists yet.

For example, I've recently been using my iPad as a second monitor. So if I'm working in Live I have my session view up on the main screen and then my arrangement on the iPad which sits flat on the table between the keyboards. That way, I can use a stylus to edit my arrangement and use the monitor as a mixing desk. I'm till just getting used to it but on OS X, there's no touchscreen gestures, so there's no way of touching to click. So I want to find some way of adding touch gestures to OS X, and/or start working with touch on Windows / LuX.

And that's cool and all. But really I think it would be better to create some kind of touchscreen input device that can send MIDI audio etc that's not an app but a purpose-built machine. iPad controllers just don't cut it.

And I could go on and on.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:

satan = f i d

* I am not God.
Thanks to Jaded
A.M (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 04:03 AM   #20
A.M

Quote:
I'm kind of interested at the moment because I really want to start doing some fun sound projects. I'm getting backing into coding at the moment, and I'm really wanting to start doing some hardware stuff with music because I'm missing something from my rig, but I don't think it exists yet.

For example, I've recently been using my iPad as a second monitor. So if I'm working in Live I have my session view up on the main screen and then my arrangement on the iPad which sits flat on the table between the keyboards. That way, I can use a stylus to edit my arrangement and use the monitor as a mixing desk. I'm till just getting used to it but on OS X, there's no touchscreen gestures, so there's no way of touching to click. So I want to find some way of adding touch gestures to OS X, and/or start working with touch on Windows / LuX.

And that's cool and all. But really I think it would be better to create some kind of touchscreen input device that can send MIDI audio etc that's not an app but a purpose-built machine. iPad controllers just don't cut it.

And I could go on and on.
You might want to take a look at this..not sure if it would be something you could use, but from what you said, it might be - junXion ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
)

Advertisements

------------------

Linux DAW Suggestion Tags
daw, linux, lubuntu, ubuntu studio