Set your CPU priority higher for your DAW in Windows 8.1
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Stereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MC
Bumblefuck, GA
MC Status: 12606174
Icon4 Set your CPU priority higher for your DAW in Windows 8.1

In all my years of producing I never thought to do this, yet in 30 sec I got rid of all input delay for Ableton.

I had tried all kinds of shit to get my input delay down so I could record during playback. As it turns out it was sitting right in front of me the entire time.

Just read the article that I linked below this, and update you DAWs priority to "High" instead of the default "Normal". Then go into Your DAW's audio preferences and fiddle with the Buffer size/latency shit till the overall latency is below 10ms.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

mfw This shit was so simple, yet so effective

Keep in mind if your computer is über shit, it might not be able to handle it above normal.

PS: Also this is something to be aware off when setting buffer size

Last edited by Stereo Surgeon; 02-06-2015 at 06:02 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Stereo Surgeon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #2
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8748
Re: Set your CPU priority higher for your DAW in Windows 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Surgeon View Post
In all my years of producing I never thought to do this, yet in 30 sec I got rid of all input delay for Ableton.

I had tried all kinds of shit to get my input delay down so I could record during playback. As it turns out it was sitting right in front of me the entire time.

Just read the article that I linked below this, and update you DAWs priority to "High" instead of the default "Normal". Then go into Your DAW's audio preferences and fiddle with the Buffer size/latency shit till the overall latency is below 10ms.

mfw This shit was so simple, yet so effective

Keep in mind if your computer is über shit, it might not be able to handle it above normal.

PS: Also this is something to be aware off when setting buffer size

So how about with windows 7? Do you experience slowdown?
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Stereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MC
Bumblefuck, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmusician View Post
I believe you can also set priorities in windows 7, but I don't have any comp running 7 anymore, so I can't say from personal exp.

------------------
Old 24-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42381199
Thanked 4,944 Times in 3,227 Posts

You were able to set it all the way back to Windows NT.

Be warned that depending on how much your DAW hammers your system, it could potentially cause it to become unstable. Lots of variables and it depends on resource usage by whatever else is running on your system. Sometimes anti-virus can become quite upset if it doesn't get what it needs because something else has priority over it.

Its a useful trick but there are caveats

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
vit888
vit888 is a jewel in the roughvit888 is a jewel in the roughvit888 is a jewel in the rough
Barcelona
MC Status: 260

thanks for the tip, guy!
vit888 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14710

I've done this with all of my programs and have so since back with XP. But disabling all of the Aero bullshit in 7 and 8 is a massive CPU lifesaver.

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19460

thanks for the tip. I've been having lag between my moog and my daw

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 11:30 PM   #8
Goolue
Digital Surfer
Goolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud of
Isn't built out of Humus.
MC Status: 1060

Thanks man! since i moved to my current pc i rarely have any issues but still.

------------------
My Soundcloud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
i always felt if Thom Yorke was a food item he would be a noodle
Goolue is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
foua
Learning The Ropes
foua is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

If you suddenly get instability or crashes, it might very well be of this!
foua is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
damnyou
Sample Destroyer
damnyou is a savage MCdamnyou is a savage MCdamnyou is a savage MCdamnyou is a savage MCdamnyou is a savage MCdamnyou is a savage MCdamnyou is a savage MCdamnyou is a savage MCdamnyou is a savage MCdamnyou is a savage MCdamnyou is a savage MC
MC Status: 1446990

You should set it to Realtime :problemofficer:

------------------
damnyou is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #11
Poztman
Minor Glitch
Poztman is a jewel in the roughPoztman is a jewel in the roughPoztman is a jewel in the roughPoztman is a jewel in the rough
Bruges
MC Status: 310

Don't really need it, but thx anyways for this !
Poztman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:33 PM   #12
Ectoentropic
Regular Freak
Ectoentropic will become famous soon enoughEctoentropic will become famous soon enough
Colorado
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmusician View Post
On Windows 7 you can press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to open the task manager, go to "processes", find your DAW (note that in the processes view your DAW may show up with a different name, but it will show up as something similar, for example FL Studio shows up as "FL.exe"), right-click on it to open a menu, go to "priority"->"above normal"

Another good way to free up CPU while you're in the task manager anyways is to take a look at what background processes are running - a lot of people don't even realize how many programs continue running after they're closed, and if you look, stuff like Steam, IM/Skype/Yahoo/etc., and other such programs can be eating up HUGE amounts of memory even if you don't have any windows open. If anything's eating up too much memory, right-click->"end process".

Note that you should be careful when you're doing this, as some of the processes listed in the task manager are important to your computer's function. It's not too risky - as far as I know, the worst thing that could happen is that you have to reboot - but you should make sure you have some idea of what the process you're ending actually is.
Ectoentropic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:48 AM   #13
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

Process.exe can be used to change priorities and also force programs to quit.
With the right other tools, such as Starter.exe, you can add entries to the registry so that at logon, programs of your choice are shutdown or have their priorities changed.

This can be helpful as an alternative to completely turning something on or off.
Also, Starter.exe shows you a lot of extra junk that runs at startup and you can
even modify the startup status of some drivers.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
Stereo Surgeon (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 06:07 AM   #14
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Bumblefuck, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post

Process.exe can be used to change priorities and also force programs to quit.
With the right other tools, such as Starter.exe, you can add entries to the registry so that at logon, programs of your choice are shutdown or have their priorities changed.

This can be helpful as an alternative to completely turning something on or off.
Also, Starter.exe shows you a lot of extra junk that runs at startup and you can
even modify the startup status of some drivers.
I once went on a blitzkrieg through the startup programs dissabling everything I didn't think was mission critical, and ended inadvertently stopping hardware drivers for disc drive and soundcard which snowballed into a BSOD.

Cut the fat, but be careful to leave the important stuff as it is.

------------------
Thanks to Stereo Surgeon
Nystagmus (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 06:30 AM   #15
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Surgeon View Post
I once went on a blitzkrieg through the startup programs dissabling everything I didn't think was mission critical, and ended inadvertently stopping hardware drivers for disc drive and soundcard which snowballed into a BSOD.

Cut the fat, but be careful to leave the important stuff as it is.
yeah good points, Stereo Surgeon.

i usually use the black viper config as a guiding starting point.
i'm only really adventurous with stuff when i have a backup strategy.

------------------

Old 04-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #16
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 526270

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyou View Post
You should set it to Realtime :problemofficer:

I work in IT so I feel dumb asking this... but if your comp is decently powerful would "realtime" be a bad thing?

What could happen?
agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #17
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent View Post
I work in IT so I feel dumb asking this... but if your comp is decently powerful would "realtime" be a bad thing?

What could happen?
at least on older systems, i think, realtime made it possible for the one realtime process to dominate CPU time over everything else, including system processes. but I'm not really sure.

Advertisements

------------------