Sister buying MacBook Pro for Logic X
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 27-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
dgm
Granular Poster
dgm is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Sister buying MacBook Pro for Logic X

Hey,

My sister is going off to college to study music production, and she is in the market for a 15" MacBook Pro. She will mainly be using it to produce music with Logic Pro X. I would like to know if any of you have any recommendations for the hardware specs to buy with the computer. Apple sells the machine with a number of different options for processor speed and RAM, and I'm not sure how to advise her.

Advertisements

dgm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1533677
Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,225 Posts
Re: Sister buying MacBook Pro for Logic X

more is better.

ram, HD space, all of that.

but to be honest, one can make excellent music with a stock MBP from 5 years ago, I wouldn't stress the upgrades too much, especially if budget is a concern.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
dgm
Granular Poster
dgm is currently spamming hard

Thanks.
dgm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #4
Ed Nomi
Analog Lurker
Ed Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud of
Antwerp
MC Status: 1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm View Post
Hey,

My sister is going off to college to study music production, and she is in the market for a 15" MacBook Pro. She will mainly be using it to produce music with Logic Pro X. I would like to know if any of you have any recommendations for the hardware specs to buy with the computer. Apple sells the machine with a number of different options for processor speed and RAM, and I'm not sure how to advise her.
invest in maxing out the ram, I7 processor if possible and after some time switching the HD with an 512Gb or 1T SSD
she'll be future proof for the next five years at least.

my Macbook pro (with I7 and SSD) from 2010 is still performing well.
Ed Nomi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13510

2010 and newer MBP stock will work just fine for that. Like previously mentioned, upgrading to an SSD will be a good move. What school is your sister looking into?
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 151760
Thanked 3,035 Times in 1,823 Posts

Well shit I sure as Fucking hell hope a four year old computer that cost 3k+ still is"adequate".

Man did apple figure it all out.... Like making you will run into problems running the latest logic on a four year old computer. Profit????
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:47 AM   #7
jamison
Regular Freak
jamison will become famous soon enough
Austin, Texas
MC Status: 60

Higher RAM will always be better when you're dealing with Digital Audio Workstations (especially Logic as I've found that it's usually a bit harder on your CPU than other DAWs). That being said, any new computer should not have a problem running the program. My computer is late 2010 macbook and runs most Logic projects with relative ease.

Last edited by jamison; 10-02-2015 at 07:05 AM..
jamison is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 06:16 AM   #8
Garruden
IDMf Supporter
Garruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of light
San Jose, California
MC Status: 460

Something I've recently learned is that as long as you're not keeping everything in MIDI when doing final mixing/mastering and bouncing it to audio, you shouldn't be bogging the computer down too much.
Garruden is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 12:36 AM   #9
Corporate Music
Granular Poster
Corporate Music is a jewel in the roughCorporate Music is a jewel in the roughCorporate Music is a jewel in the rough
CA
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
more is better.

ram, HD space, all of that.

but to be honest, one can make excellent music with a stock MBP from 5 years ago, I wouldn't stress the upgrades too much, especially if budget is a concern.
That's me! (except for the excellent music part)
Corporate Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 05:07 AM   #10
ReKre
Radial Developer
ReKre has a spectacular aura aboutReKre has a spectacular aura aboutReKre has a spectacular aura about
San Francisco
MC Status: 210

You can choose to buy more RAM if you buy through apple which vastly helps when using a DAW. I use Logic Pro X and have never had a problem.

Here are my specs:

MacBook Pro
Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

I would recommend buying as much hard drive space as you can!
ReKre is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 06:48 AM   #11
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6902409
Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReKre View Post
You can choose to buy more RAM if you buy through apple which vastly helps when using a DAW. I use Logic Pro X and have never had a problem.
NEVER BUY ADDITIONAL RAM FROM APPLE!

As far as buying a Macbook is concerned, the only spec you should max out at purchase is the CPU, if that's what you're into. For the hard drive and RAM purchase the lower spec because you will save yourself hundreds of dollars purchasing this from a third party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReKre View Post
I would recommend buying as much hard drive space as you can!
No way dude! To upgrade from 500GB to 1TB at purchase is $700AUD. You can purchase a 1TB 2.5" SSD for $500AUD meaning you end up with 1.5TB of SSD storage for $200AUD less.

The other thing with current 2015 models is that Apple's kind of nerfed their line to counter the fact that it's cheaper to buy your own hardware by tying the RAM and CPU together. Honestly, I'd look at getting a standard refurbed model and speccing it out over the current pros.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #12
evilrabbit
Learning The Ropes
evilrabbit is currently spamming hard
Gelderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
NEVER BUY ADDITIONAL RAM FROM APPLE!

As far as buying a Macbook is concerned, the only spec you should max out at purchase is the CPU, if that's what you're into. For the hard drive and RAM purchase the lower spec because you will save yourself hundreds of dollars purchasing this from a third party.

No way dude! To upgrade from 500GB to 1TB at purchase is $700AUD. You can purchase a 1TB 2.5" SSD for $500AUD meaning you end up with 1.5TB of SSD storage for $200AUD less.

The other thing with current 2015 models is that Apple's kind of nerfed their line to counter the fact that it's cheaper to buy your own hardware by tying the RAM and CPU together. Honestly, I'd look at getting a standard refurbed model and speccing it out over the current pros.

This basicly, official apple gear is really expensive. You could save a lot of money if you bought like third party stuff.

Only downside is that it is not official apple and that may bug you
evilrabbit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #13
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6902409
Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,097 Posts

And the other thing that I didn't even think of mention is that there's nothing stopping you from building a Hackintosh. It's stupid easy these days, particularly if you go virtual. I'm currently weighing up between building a Hackintosh using supported hardware VS creating a virtual OS X install.

I OS X, LuX and Win VM's for development and they're all relatively stable. The only real area that I've run into problems is with hardware virtualisation. I tested running some audio software in a Win VM on my Mac and it wasn't exactly what I'd call stable... And ASIO drivers didn't work, so I didn't even bother hooking up any of my audio interfaces.

However, this was on a five year old 17" MBP running on a 7,200 rpm drive AND I was using Parallels when I was testing that. Since then I've actually found VirtualBox (which is free) to be more reliable it's easier to manage your machines.

I would imagine running a VM on an SSD would run perfectly. I've also got gamer friends who use VMs to run their games. One guy was showing me his fully modded Skyrim in 4K (ridiculous) and he was telling me that he basically wouldn't be able to run it outside of the machine. But after seeing that, I'm pretty convinced that you'd be able to run a DAW and hook it up to audio interfaces and other devices.

But yeah, if you took all of the specs of the macbook that you wanted and then bought a laptop with maybe just a little bit more, you could build a machine a little bit cheaper... and it would only really cost you a weekend of tinkering... and computers and laptops are really easy to build and set up these days... even ultra-light LuX distros built for running VMs.

So (after another rant) to expand on my first post, I'd advise investigating setting up an VM. If it seems like something you could do and you can get your hands on a sweet specced laptop for a cheaper price... go for it. Otherwise... see my first post

Advertisements

Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
Br/ainfu+ked (25-07-2015)