Synth recommendations
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 04-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
Indican Sound
Knob Twiddler
Indican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant future
Brighton!!!
MC Status: 1860
Synth recommendations

Hi everyone

I have been toying with the idea of buying a hardware synth for some time, partially for the sound but also for the purposes of getting out of the box a bit as I think it will add some much needed feeling to my workflow. So basically I want to see what recommendations people might have, what i'm after is something along the lines below:

> Analog signal Path

> At least two VCO's, preferably with a few options when it comes to waveforms.

> Multimode filter, as much as we all love a phat lowpass filter that seems to come as standard with analog synths, having a bandpass as well would really open up the potential of sound design.

> Good routing options, something with patch cables would really give a lot of options!

> Preferably under 500

I understand its a bit of a tall order but im sure theres stuff out there that fits the bill!

During my searching I have come across a couple of options such as the MFB berlin synth ranges but they are a bit pricey, the big marketed ones such as the bass station 2, the mini/microbute and the MS-20 Mini are a possibility but I fancy something a little bit less mainstream, something with some life and soul to it.

P.S. Sorry for doing another 'whats the best synth' thread but Im quite stuck here!

Cheers!

Advertisements

------------------
Keepin it real on the interwebz!

A Fine Time To Be LP Available now at http://dustedwax.org/dwk253.html
Indican Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269440708
Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,606 Posts
Re: Synth recommendations

Try this thread, about a buying good hardware synth under 500($ I think)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

My vote goes to the MFB Kraftzwerg MKII, it lacks the multimode filter, but it's semi modular, so you can always expand in the future with a doepfer "beauty-case" with a couple more filters
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Indican Sound
Knob Twiddler
Indican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant futureIndican Sound has a brilliant future
Brighton!!!

yeah have been eyeing up these MFB synths but they are a bit pricey for me

------------------

Old 04-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269440708
Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,606 Posts

Keep an eye on the buy/sell/trade section of Muffwiggler forum or on Sound-on-Sound website, sometimes there's one.

Also, Dave Smith Instrument Evolver Desktop, quite cheap 2nd and a beastly analog/digital hybrid (2 analog vcos, 2 digital and analog filters)

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199643768
Thanked 4,890 Times in 3,157 Posts

Analog Soultions Telemark?

Meets price requirements if you buy one used (eBay), analog signal path, SEM multimode filter, and it's boutique:

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8497580
Thanked 6,133 Times in 4,405 Posts

I would just second going used if you want those options at that price.

Also just a word of warning, dont get caught up in the analog/hardware sounds better mythology...you might end up being pretty disappointed.

As far as buying hardware for the tacticle experience +1

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124435
Thanked 1,135 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indican Sound View Post
So basically I want to see what recommendations people might have, what i'm after is something along the lines below:

> Analog signal Path
Whenever I see this from new synth buyers, I always ask - why?

Why is an analog signal path important to you and the music you are making? How will you be recording the analog signal path to preserve it's analog source? How will you be interfacing with it? What experience with analog and digital synthesis do you have that has led you to determine that an analog signal path is the best solution?

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to D_Davis
relic (04-25-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 01:41 AM   #8
Indican Sound
Knob Twiddler
Brighton!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
Whenever I see this from new synth buyers, I always ask - why?

Why is an analog signal path important to you and the music you are making? How will you be recording the analog signal path to preserve it's analog source? How will you be interfacing with it? What experience with analog and digital synthesis do you have that has led you to determine that an analog signal path is the best solution?
Like I said, its more about workflow and a physical experience but also there is something about an analog sound which is unique to the process, I feel that if i buy a digital hardware synth then i might as well be using a digital synth, its about having something that feels alive, like your interacting with something real and not something thats just an emulation, a computer trying to be something analog. also I will be outputting it through my valve guitar amp and recording it so the analog feel will not just be with the synth itself.

------------------

Old 04-26-2014, 01:48 AM   #9
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Like I said, its more about workflow and a physical experience but also there is something about an analog sound which is unique to the process, I feel that if i buy a digital hardware synth then i might as well be using a digital synth, its about having something that feels alive, like your interacting with something real and not something thats just an emulation, a computer trying to be something analog. also I will be outputting it through my valve guitar amp and recording it so the analog feel will not just be with the synth itself.
I still fail to see how a digital hardware synth feels less alive than an analog one. All synths, VST, digital hardware, analog hardware have their quirks and each have a tone or sound...go for an all analog signal path if that is what you want. But having used both digital and analog synths...there isn't a ton of difference...for me the biggest thing is that a lot of the new analog synths have zero to little menu diving. For me that is huge, so I get that part...but I feel like you are looking for a unicorn...

Really not trying to get down on you here, just sharing my experience in an effort to help you make an informed decision.

Maybe it turns out you would like a Monomachine or Nord Lead better or OP-1 better than a new analog synth...

------------------
Old 04-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #10
Indican Sound
Knob Twiddler
Brighton!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
...but I feel like you are looking for a unicorn...
surely everyone wants a unicorn XD

------------------

Thanks to Indican Sound
relic (04-26-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #11
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
surely everyone wants a unicorn XD
Yea. But they are expensive to feed

------------------
Old 04-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #12
Indican Sound
Knob Twiddler
Brighton!!!

nah, id just feed it mcdonalds if i had one

------------------

Thanks to Indican Sound
relic (04-26-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #13
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883206
Thanked 3,294 Times in 2,083 Posts

And that's how the last unicorn went extinct .

You any closer to deciding on a synth? Got any stores nearby that sell synths that you can go have a play around on?
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:49 PM   #14
Indican Sound
Knob Twiddler
Brighton!!!

once again, capitalism killed another beautiful thing, that will now only live in myths, legends and random banter in the internet!

Erm well I have a GAK in the city I live in but they only stock the main new brands such as the micro/minibrute, BSII and MS20 mini, nothing particularly interesting or unique. I have been there and tried things out and i do like the sound but I think I might just keep my eyes open on local second hand market and try pick something up thats got some character.

------------------

Currently Listening To: My new album... cos i'm cool like that
Old 04-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #15
Indican Sound
Knob Twiddler
Brighton!!!

did a bit of a u turn and found a virus b in my area for like 200, gonna get on that.

------------------

Currently Listening To: Eric Bibb
Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #16
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199643768
Thanked 4,890 Times in 3,157 Posts

Great synth, great price but isn't that like the total opposite of what you were looking for?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:20 AM   #17
Indican Sound
Knob Twiddler
Brighton!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Great synth, great price but isn't that like the total opposite of what you were looking for?
yeah, thats why i said its a u turn xD

well if i really thought it was wrong after a little while o fusing it i could easily sell it and get something else, it just tempts me as they are so highly regarded and the price is sweet

------------------

Old 04-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #18
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1524727
Thanked 1,730 Times in 1,128 Posts

you're going to be very happy with a Virus.

thats my prediction anyways.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:44 AM   #19
JohnnyRocket
Regular Freak
JohnnyRocket will become famous soon enough
San Francisco
MC Status: 60

I've been thinking of hard or soft syths, the info on this thread is helpful
JohnnyRocket is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:52 AM   #20
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 20710

Maybe bass station 2
Or am I too late to the show?
Edit : I just noticed this is a zombie thread fooled me!

Last edited by jbvdb493; 11-17-2015 at 12:58 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote