Buying outdated DAW versions
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:12 AM   #1
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848
Buying outdated DAW versions

Lately I've been looking at getting into a new DAW, sonar doesn't seem my thing, and people seem to think bitwig is kind of glitchy (I have no idea if this is true, but trying an untested daw for $400 just doesnt seem like a good idea to me)

Does it ever make sense to buy an older version of a DAW for a much lower price? I see ableton live 7 going for $250, but I don't know how the license structure works with it.

Advertisements

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheWizar
Alert (31-05-2015)
Old 04-04-2014, 01:16 AM   #2
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519280
Thanked 6,567 Times in 4,686 Posts
Re: Buying outdated DAW versions

If by license structure you mean update costs, I'm sure you can find out on their website. There are quite a few inexpensive DAWS. FL Studio producer Edition (which is all you need if you are set on 3rd party VSTs) is only like 200USD. Reaper is 40-60USD. The Presonus Studio One Producer (not sure how limited) is 199USD.

From what I know of Live (which is very little) I think you would want at least version 8. You probably don't need Suite version?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #3
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
bass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant future
Long Island, New York
MC Status: 1910

Readers only 40 buck? Can you rewire reason into that thing? Might look into that to add some vsts. To my arsenal

------------------
bass&moddedFreq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #4
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
bass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant future
Long Island, New York

I meant reaper my bad

------------------
Old 04-04-2014, 02:58 AM   #5
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I think it used to be there was a "non-commercial" version for 40 and the "commercial" version was 60. The difference was technically you were not supposed to profit from anything you made with the non-comm one.

------------------
Old 04-04-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont

I'm not necessarily going for inexpensive, I'm just trying to save money if/when i can. I would love to have a DAW that makes it easy to combine synths into one, like Ableton's synth rack, or the container in bitwig. However, lately I've found that external vsts are quirky, especially with knobs only having 128 values to automate. I find that the automation of the synths that are built into the software often works far better than trying to automate freeware vsts.

So basically I would like a DAW with the ability to stack synths (and play / record them at the same time), while being relatively easy to use, but with advanced editing features... And a decent onboard synthesis engine.

So far I have Renoise, which works great for drum and bass and breakcore and the ilk, but seems to fall short when I'm trying to do complex melodies, and doesn't seem to feature any kind of repitching engine.

I also have sonar, Which, as far as I can tell was made to be the hardest to use DAW in the world, backed by the fact that it's almost impossible to find information/videos online on how to do something simple like syncing a drum break. This on top of the odd glitches and quirky piano roll makes it a pain in my ass to use. Oh well, at least I got melodyne essential with it.

I've breifly looked at the cubase demo, but so far my impressions are poor. The software itself seems archaic, like noting has ever been changed in its development. Stacking synths seems to be difficult and only possible with multiple midi sends. Also, that means you are limited to 4 synth layers per midi track.

I have the demos for both bitwig and ableton, and as far as I can tell, the two are very similar. Though I don't know just how well the modulation in Ableton works. I'm not familiar with the interface, though I think I could learn it after a few weeks of reading the manual and dicking around.

While ableton suite seems to have everything I'm looking for, it also seems a touch overpriced at $750.

TL;DR are there any DAW's out there with a very modular, controllable, stackable synthesis engine that are relatively easy to use and cost around $500

I'm thinking I might want to look at reason next.

I don't really want to learn reaper, it seems like the experience of learning to use it wouldn't transfer well to anything new.

------------------
My latest work:
Old 04-04-2014, 04:32 AM   #7
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
Long Island, New York

I have reason 6.5 and I love it... reason 7 is way better it seems from what I've seen but I haven't gotten my hands on it.... if you haven't tried any version of reason 6+ you should definitely Atleast give it a look... capable of great things.

------------------
Old 04-04-2014, 04:34 AM   #8
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

There is Patcher in FL Studio which is a totally modular environment. Don't remember if you can use 3rd party VSTs in it or not, but you can combine FX/Synths with it.

------------------
Old 04-04-2014, 04:37 AM   #9
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
Vermont

Well, I'll check out the fl studio demo as well, I'm trying to make an informed decision here, not like I did when I bought sonar (lol). At least I have melodyne now.

------------------
My latest work:
Old 04-04-2014, 05:12 AM   #10
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644068
Thanked 4,896 Times in 3,160 Posts

I'd highly recommend Ableton for what you want to do being as racking instruments and advanced audio editing are important features to you....

Ableton Live Suite 8 w/ 9 upgrade included $500.00 buy it now price...
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

If that link doesn't work just search what I typed. eBay is buyer friendly so if the upgrade thing turns out to be false they'll refund you no questions. I do know, however, at closer to the launch of 9 there were boxed versions of 8 that included this.

Chances are, it's legit.

I couldn't imagine what I'd do without live.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
Muse-ic (06-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 06:54 AM   #11
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
Vermont

Reason seems quite nice from the demo so far. I really like their piano roll.

------------------
My latest work:
Old 04-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #12
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 58710
Thanked 1,174 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
I'd highly recommend Ableton for what you want to do being as racking instruments and advanced audio editing are important features to you....

Ableton Live Suite 8 w/ 9 upgrade included $500.00 buy it now price...
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

If that link doesn't work just search what I typed. eBay is buyer friendly so if the upgrade thing turns out to be false they'll refund you no questions. I do know, however, at closer to the launch of 9 there were boxed versions of 8 that included this.

Chances are, it's legit.

I couldn't imagine what I'd do without live.
I bought Live last year when they were doing this deal in the months before they released Live 9. It was get Live 8 for 25% off with a free Upgrade to Live 9 when it comes out.
So glad I did

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #13
sirmcp
Minor Glitch
sirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MC
florida
MC Status: 139217

yes Reaper does rewire and it's 64 bit version has a 32 bit bridge built into the software.
sirmcp is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #14
sirmcp
Minor Glitch
sirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MCsirmcp is a savage MC
florida
MC Status: 139217

Reason is exactly what you're looking for.
sirmcp is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to sirmcp
bass&moddedFreq (07-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #15
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizar View Post

I don't really want to learn reaper, it seems like the experience of learning to use it wouldn't transfer well to anything new.
I don't really know what you are on about with Reaper TBH. Its a fully functional modern DAW that is just as powerful as anything else mentioned here. Not to mention it has some outstanding native plug ins (though no synths).

The only thing it is missing is that "modular" environment, which I am sure you could emulate with sends/returns.

------------------
Old 04-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #16
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17610

little tip (this is what i did ) buy off ebay i got fl studio signiture bundle 8 for like 20 quid and with fl policy of free upgrades for life haven't spent a penny since and now on fl studio 11.1

Last edited by joem; 04-04-2014 at 11:31 PM..
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:24 AM   #17
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
Vermont

I think you must've lucked out there, don't see that anymore on ebay.

------------------
My latest work:
Old 05-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #18
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39280449
Thanked 1,158 Times in 745 Posts

Quote:
I also have sonar, Which, as far as I can tell was made to be the hardest to use DAW in the world, backed by the fact that it's almost impossible to find information/videos online on how to do something simple like syncing a drum break.
By what way? Using the LCV to make/edit a groove clip?

Or Audiosnap for specific parts?

What do you mean by "quirky" for the piano roll?

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:36 AM   #19
VoidPointer
Radial Developer
VoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really nice
Hamburg
MC Status: 360

Quote:
I think you must've lucked out there, don't see that anymore on ebay.
Keep looking, something will come up again. License transfer with Ableton is no problem. I just saved a lot of money like that myself by getting a "used" version of suite on ebay.
VoidPointer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:08 AM   #20
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
Vermont

I appreciate all of the advice, but after messing around with just about every demo I've decided to go with reason. Ableton seems too expensive for a daw with a workflow I can't agree with. Of all of the demos I tried, the only two DAW's that I felt weren't made by con artists were FL studio and Reason.

I might want to clarify why...

I don't have extensive amounts of plugins, and I never will. Most of even the fully featured DAW's seem like crippleware to me, they come with a nice layout, but for 500+ dollars I get what? Three softsynths with minimal to no ability to combine multiple synths into another one?

Reaper, however didn't seem like a con, but I had tried it before and couldn't get my head around the workflow. I think specifically I didn't like the piano roll very much.

In reason, I can just go ahead and make things. The workflow is easy to use, it's one of the cheaper DAW's, and importantly, it's fun to use.

So while ableton seemed cool to me, it didn't seem "buy a used copy on ebay for 500 dollars" cool.

Advertisements

------------------
My latest work: