Bitwig: Share your findings & experiences
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 03-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
Evelon
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214387248
Thanked 2,776 Times in 1,735 Posts
Bitwig: Share your findings & experiences

A good thing is the crash report ( la Firefox) and the automatic restart of the crashed item (audio engine, a certain plugin, etc). Bitwig doesn't crash altogether like many other DAWs out there, but it's more like a puzzle and handles all pieces like individual processes (which it then restarts/reloads). Pretty nifty.
I just wish it was a little more stable for being a v1.0. But you can't have it all straight away.

Advertisements

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of
The Bay
MC Status: 1010
Re: Bitwig Studio (new DAW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
A good thing is the crash report ( la Firefox) and the automatic restart of the crashed item (audio engine, a certain plugin, etc). Bitwig doesn't crash altogether like many other DAWs out there, but it's more like a puzzle and handles all pieces like individual processes (which it then restarts/reloads). Pretty nifty.
I just wish it was a little more stable for being a v1.0. But you can't have it all straight away.
Just the fact that the crash reporting is right inside the DAW rather than having to manually email them files from my computer is a huge plus in my mind. I email ableton about that every month or so. Why do I have to go find the file and open my email to tell you what broke?

Big Minus: did not restore my project (maybe because it's demo mode?)
1=1? is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of1=1? has much to be proud of
The Bay

I just found out that CAPS enables virtual keyboard. Slick.

Does anyone know how to do the equivalent of CMD-E? Driving me crazy.

The numbers 1-5 select the tools.

Last edited by 1=1?; 03-26-2014 at 05:11 PM..
Old 03-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13019226

just bought this beast right now, can't wait to try it, probably friday!

oh and also bought molekular from NI ... god damn it they know how to fucking drag their customers in

EDIT: I assume that some admin will soon add the bitwig logo to the DAW list for profiles
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Automageddon
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269439958
Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeoR View Post
I assume that some admin will soon add the bitwig logo to the DAW list for profiles
Lol

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
Evelon
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214387248
Thanked 2,776 Times in 1,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeoR View Post
EDIT: I assume that some admin will soon add the bitwig logo to the DAW list for profiles
I can only make the logo for IDMf, not change/update the list of DAWs.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
lolirl (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883206
Thanked 3,294 Times in 2,083 Posts

Ooh - the Launchpad integration is nice! Whenever you switch modes on the LP there's a popup in bitwig to tell you what function you've selected. Comes with a step sequencer and on the LP it automatically creates octave layouts using colored lights. The dual screen is the shit. Got some psytrance thing going on. We should maybe start a new thread for all this stuff .
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to scyn
lolirl (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 104410
Thanked 2,088 Times in 1,235 Posts

I've already managed to get BSOD when I was trying to import my own audio sample file, I'm not even kidding.
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
crackmontage (08-28-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #9
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
The Bay

No tap tempo?! am I missing it? I am going to make a web page that details the shortcomings, ableton->bitwig orientation, kick ass features etc for people coming from ableton after I'm done reading the manual.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1=1? View Post
No tap tempo?! am I missing it? I am going to make a web page that details the shortcomings, ableton->bitwig orientation, kick ass features etc for people coming from ableton after I'm done reading the manual.
Haven't found it myself either. It's also kinda irritating how none of the faders have any kind of visual indicators on them - there's no way to tell what the level is at a glance:

You don't even get a readout with a mouse over. You have to actually drag the fader to see the value. There should at least be a 0dB mark.

Last edited by scyn; 03-26-2014 at 08:59 PM..
Old 03-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #11
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
The Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
Haven't found it myself either. It's also kinda irritating how none of the faders have any kind of visual indicators on them - there's no way to tell what the level is at a glance:

You don't even get a readout with a mouse over. You have to actually drag the fader to see the value. There should at least be a 0dB mark.
Dude click the second button down on the right side:
it's awesome.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #12
scyn
/\/\/\

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1=1? View Post
Dude click the second button down on the right side:

it's awesome.
That still doesn't show you where your fader sits. That only tells you where the volume peaks when it's playing. Look at Live - peak volume and fader level:

In Bitwig there's no way to tell that your ader is at 0dB (or whatever value). A simple line would suffice.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #13
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
The Bay

Oh I see what you're saying. That is annoying.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #14
Jonathan
Sample Destroyer
Jonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MC
Qubec
MC Status: 323781

a funny thing ....the zoom is like in ableton ....but the opposite ...

Ableton : move down to zoom in, up to zoom out

Bitwig : move down to zoom out, up to zoom in

Sometime I cannot know if something is annoying because it anoying or just because there is an option I don't set the right way .....like if I have a plugin on top ....I can't use the space bar to play/stop ...

------------------
Jonathan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #15
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
The Bay

Yeah that's on my "things that will annoy ableton users" list.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:36 PM   #16
Faktori
Radial Developer
Faktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2960

I spent like 20 minutes figuring out how to use computer keybord as midi notes. I'm sure they did it on purpose
Faktori is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:51 PM   #17
Shimeon
Regular Freak
Shimeon will become famous soon enough
Montreal
MC Status: 60

How do you do it.......?
Shimeon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:56 PM   #18
Faktori
Radial Developer
Faktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond reputeFaktori has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimeon View Post
How do you do it.......?
Caps lock
Faktori is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:11 AM   #19
1=1?
Knob Twiddler
The Bay

Here's my list of notes from 4 hours (actually more like 7) using it. I am too fatigued to continue. I'm glad I tried it out before buying it. I think it'll eventually be the DAW for me, but there's some key things that should be resolved first.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I hope to clean this up and keep it up to date, mostly for myself to track their software and when it will be good for me to use. If I'm wrong in any place on there please tell me

Last edited by 1=1?; 03-27-2014 at 12:47 AM..
Old 03-27-2014, 01:15 AM   #20
Roland_Abuser
Radial Developer
Roland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to behold
Good `Ol Yorkshire
MC Status: 760

Been demoing this all afternoon and love the arrange page already. One of the few things I've never quite been happy with in Live is the main sequencer in the arrangement. Its always seemed over fiddly when compared with Logic (the only other DAW I've had much experience with) which imo is much nicer to lay a full track out in.

i definitely have a few gripes so far with Bitwig, the main one being over level/fader level monitoring (which someone else here has mentioned). Imo, this just isn't as clear as it should be.

Its early days yet and I certainly need to read the manual (page 50 so far!) but I can see myself getting this to use at least use alongside live but time will tell.

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
... Regarding your comment about the zoom and if there is an option to change it, I dont think there is as the manual goes into which way to move the mouse to zoom. Think it may be something we'll just have to get used to.

Just saw this over at KVR too and thought it might be of use to some here. Seems to enable the feature which isolates plugin crashes you have to change a setting in the preferences...

Quote:
I would recommend setting in Preference -> Plug-In Management
"Independent processing for each Plug-in.
Only in that case all plugins are running separated and you should be able to restart them individually if one crashes.
With Global Processing 32 Bit and 64 Bit Plugins are running in two shared spaces which basically means that all 64 or all 32 Bit Plugins crash together...

Advertisements

Roland_Abuser is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote