The best Freeware DAW?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 25-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #1
Slenderthrower
Regular Freak
Slenderthrower is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Icon5 The best Freeware DAW?

Hey, a friend of mine is interested in recording his own stuff at home. But since hes on a tight budget, he cant afford to splash out on logic, cubase, ableton etc. So i was wondering if anyone could give some recommendations of the best freeware DAW's for both recording midi and audio sources aswell as being good for editing, splicing, and just general sound processing.

Many thanks guys

Advertisements

Slenderthrower is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 02:08 AM   #2
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45940231
Thanked 5,641 Times in 3,558 Posts
Re: The best Freeware DAW?

I haven't seen a completely free daw before, maybe they exist though.

There is a nice cheap one called Reaper that costs 60 bucks AND you can use the "trial" version (which is the full version) without paying for as long as you want, essentially making it "free to try" with no restrictions other than a nag screen when you start it up.

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
relic (25-02-2013)
Old 25-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #3
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519230
Thanked 6,566 Times in 4,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I haven't seen a completely free daw before, maybe they exist though.

There is a nice cheap one called Reaper that costs 60 bucks AND you can use the "trial" version (which is the full version) without paying for as long as you want, essentially making it "free to try" with no restrictions other than a nag screen when you start it up.
Reaper is quite powerful and working with audio in it is a pleasure.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Evelon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214388898
Thanked 2,809 Times in 1,753 Posts

Cockos Reaper, Zynewave Podium Free, Kristal, Wavosaur, Traverso DAW, MuLab free, Ardour, Rosegarden, Samplitude Silver, LMMS, Qtractor...

edit: fogot to mention [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by Evelon; 25-02-2013 at 02:34 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
Valk (17-11-2016)
Old 25-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Grids/Units/Planes
IDMf Artist
Grids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 11174

For recording: Reaper (uncrippling demo), or Podium Free
For sequencing: Jeskola Buzz (Free) - High quality VST loader, modular awesomeness, incredible tracker,....

------------------
Grids/Units/Planes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
Evelon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

Buzz sucks. Don't use it.

------------------
Old 25-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 163910
Thanked 3,278 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
..MuLab free..
Just wanted to chime in here and say it's REALLY worth upgrading to anyone who goes with MuLab. I did and I love it to death..but that's just me. It's simple to use, but very powerful at the same time..as good as any of the other "big boys" out there..you just need to learn how to use it, which is pretty easy to get to grips with..and you can get the full version for around the same price as Reaper..which is a fraction of what you pay for most of the others.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
DJGarvis
Analog Lurker
DJGarvis will become famous soon enoughDJGarvis will become famous soon enough
Hick Town, WA
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMechanics View Post
Just wanted to chime in here and say it's REALLY worth upgrading to anyone who goes with MuLab. I did and I love it to death..but that's just me. It's simple to use, but very powerful at the same time..as good as any of the other "big boys" out there..you just need to learn how to use it, which is pretty easy to get to grips with..and you can get the full version for around the same price as Reaper..which is a fraction of what you pay for most of the others.
I downloaded MuLab, I like the layout and simplicity, but I can't get any VST's to work, they all say disabled. Any ideas? I'm trying to use Nexus and Massive.
DJGarvis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGarvis View Post
I downloaded MuLab, I like the layout and simplicity, but I can't get any VST's to work, they all say disabled. Any ideas? I'm trying to use Nexus and Massive.
If they are VSTs (I don't use either..so I don't know for sure..) and they are showing up as being disabled, then there are a few things you need to check.

a) Have you installed them in the vst folder that MuLab looks in for all vst .dll files? If not, the try re-installing them and pointing the MuLab vst browser to that folder.

b) Are you using the right version of the vsts to begin with? Meaning are you running 64 bit vsts on a 32 bit system/host? If you have the 32 bit version of MuLab, then the vst .dll files must match or it will disable them by default and they can't be used in the 32 bit version.

Check to make sure you download the correct version of Mulab for your system..and that the VSTs you have match that version.

c) Failing the above, trying visiting the official MuLab support forum over at the KVR audio website..

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

You might have to sign up before you can post over there..I can't remember off the top of my head, but if you do then it won't take long to do so and then you can post your questions there and they will be able to help you out and get you up and running. They are usually pretty fast at replying to post and go out of their way to help.

Hope one of the above helps you sort this issue out..and don't give up on MuLab..it REALLY is a great DAW with an equally great future. It's still relatively a new kind on the DAW block and they are adding to it all the time.

------------------
Old 25-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
slugvision
Knob Twiddler
slugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond repute
Tampere
MC Status: 3460

Renoise not mentioned. Well, not completely free, I paid 57 euros... It has free demo with only few limitations though
slugvision is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 04:13 AM   #11
DJGarvis
Analog Lurker
DJGarvis will become famous soon enoughDJGarvis will become famous soon enough
Hick Town, WA
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMechanics View Post
If they are VSTs (I don't use either..so I don't know for sure..) and they are showing up as being disabled, then there are a few things you need to check.

a) Have you installed them in the vst folder that MuLab looks in for all vst .dll files? If not, the try re-installing them and pointing the MuLab vst browser to that folder.

b) Are you using the right version of the vsts to begin with? Meaning are you running 64 bit vsts on a 32 bit system/host? If you have the 32 bit version of MuLab, then the vst .dll files must match or it will disable them by default and they can't be used in the 32 bit version.

Check to make sure you download the correct version of Mulab for your system..and that the VSTs you have match that version.

c) Failing the above, trying visiting the official MuLab support forum over at the KVR audio website..

You might have to sign up before you can post over there..I can't remember off the top of my head, but if you do then it won't take long to do so and then you can post your questions there and they will be able to help you out and get you up and running. They are usually pretty fast at replying to post and go out of their way to help.

Hope one of the above helps you sort this issue out..and don't give up on MuLab..it REALLY is a great DAW with an equally great future. It's still relatively a new kind on the DAW block and they are adding to it all the time.
I got it figured out, thanks for the help!
DJGarvis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 04:32 AM   #12
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69260
Thanked 1,385 Times in 1,030 Posts

Quote:
Buzz sucks. Don't use it.
Isn't it the one Daw that looks a bit like reactor?

I remember this guy in a interveiw used it and he also showed this crappy piano he had that sometimes made really weird noises.

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
dark_virus
Minor Glitch
dark_virus has a spectacular aura aboutdark_virus has a spectacular aura aboutdark_virus has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

There's a huge list of freeware sequencers at the Bedroom Producers Blog that may worth a look (with some comments by the blog author). Since I can't post links here, do a Google search with the words:

bpb free vst host aplication roundup

Personally, I found most of them hard to use and, work properly or too crippled. I use Psycle, but I must confess it's a love/hate relationship.

------------------
dark_virus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #14
Evelon
IDMf ArtistModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Isn't it the one Daw that looks a bit like reactor?

I remember this guy in a interview used it and he also showed this crappy piano he had that sometimes made really weird noises.
I was kidding. Being a Buzz-user myself, I love it. Awesome modular tracker. It might look like Windows95 shit (default "skin") but it's free, light on the cpu and never crash.

Maybe you are refering to James Holden below (The Idiots Are Winning EP, which is just excellent). Here is another one:

edit: ^make sure you click "CC" for subtitles.

Last edited by Evelon; 28-09-2014 at 11:01 AM..

------------------
Old 26-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #15
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69260
Thanked 1,385 Times in 1,030 Posts

Quote:
I was kidding. Being a Buzz-user myself, I love it. Awesome modular tracker. It might look like Windows95 shit (default "skin") but it's free, light on the cpu and never crash.

Maybe you are refering to James Holden below (The Idiots Are Winning EP, which is just excellent). Here is another one:

Yes that Guy!

omg, man I had a brain fart so bad thinking his name, Thanks

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #16
bassrockmusic
Regular Freak
bassrockmusic is currently spamming hard
Seattle, WA

i know you said free, but FL is only $100. as inexpensive as they come. youll get a thousand times your moneys worth.
bassrockmusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
env mod
Minor Glitch
env mod will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Can't post links yet but over at KVR, in the 'getting started' section there's a sticky right at the top called 'a free windows-based software studio'. In that thread there's a link to a thing one of the members there wrote listing the pros and cons of everything freeware needed to start music production. I didn't realise there were any freeware daws till I read that but it seems there are and he provides a quite comprehensive list.

It's quite a good resource if you're looking to start up for free.
env mod is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:34 AM   #18
czarben
Minor Glitch
czarben is currently spamming hard

Audacity for recording instruments/vocals and also for mixing/editing. It also has a small selection of effects like wah, lfo filter, bass boost, reverb etc. I learned how to mix tracks and record audio with this free program. Very simple to use!
czarben is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #19
czarben
Minor Glitch
czarben is currently spamming hard

Audacity for recording instruments/vocals and for mixing/editing. It has a small seelction of effects like wah, LFO filter, bass boost, chorus, reverb etc. I learned how to mix tracks and record audio with this free program. Very simple to use!
czarben is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #20
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarben View Post
Audacity for recording instruments/vocals and for mixing/editing. It has a small seelction of effects like wah, LFO filter, bass boost, chorus, reverb etc. I learned how to mix tracks and record audio with this free program. Very simple to use!
Audacity is more an Audio Editor rather than a DAW. Don't get me wrong, it's great for what it does..but it's no DAW. For somebody just starting out working with audio files, the this is the one for them. But if you already know some of the basics, the you might find Audacity a bit limiting, compared to the other main DAWs out there on the Net..be they free or fee-based.

Having said that, I still use it myself..and I don't think there is anyone on here who hasn't used it..or doesn't still use. It should be in everyone's audio toolbox.

Advertisements

------------------