[MAWM] Relic's Live House/Techno Project - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Quarterly Album Writing Month (QAWM) IDMf's Quarterly Album Writing Month project. Find all things QAWM related PLUS members own QAWM music!

Old 20-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #21
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts
Re: [MAWM] Relic's Live House/Techno Project

its so interesting to hear the hardware and compare, since i have barely any. makes me want to get some! the last track is huge and awesome, i love the minimalist qualities at the beginning then you bring in your percussion, which i might add is fresh and bright (in all the tracks). but i love the largeness of the last one, even on my headphones, i felt like i was being swallowed.

ive been trying to get huge, bottomless bass for a while (the haxan cloak etc), i guess hardware is the way to go huh? sound rounded and warm, huge. the call response in the last one too is fun, like wandering through an old junkyard.

i also like the fact you're doing all this live, so its kinda of like a jam session mixed with an idea of what you want to do? are you doing alot of takes? also lets say you do a take you're comfortable with, you take a break, re listen a few hours later, what happens if you gotta tweak? do you simply edit the audio or do another take? do you start with drums first? then add the synths?

this is real electronic music lol, not just loading up massive in the box and making skrilleaxcajeck bass.

Advertisements

SKYCORE is offline   Thanks
Thanks to SKYCORE
relic (20-05-2014)
Old 20-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #22
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8552930
Thanked 7,240 Times in 5,122 Posts

First off thanks much Skycore for listening : )

I wouldn't get all "hardware sounds better". Each of these tracks has been processed in my DAW before being uploaded. The last one had a Slate VTM (driven hard), 2-3 compressors shaving off peaks a little at a time, a Slate Mixbuss (driven hard) and some EQ work on the master, stereo track I recorded.

The kick in last one is from the Electribe R MKII, which is digital. Which if nothing else makes fun bleeps and blops along with killer kick drums. The decay is turned way up so there is a huge sound scape of bass that pretty much permeates the track. The bass is the Anode MeeBlip (digital OSC, analog filter) > OTO Biscuit (all digital) > Filter Factory (analog). Slam that into VTM and you have yourself a winner ;p I guess the point is digital/analog, software/hardware after using all of it all I can say is everything has its own flavor, I don't personally find any of it better. I just prefer doing it live on hardware.

Also, I have ~6 years of learning techniques on software behind this. Anything you learn on software pretty much translates to hardware except hardware is way more limiting and simple, which I like.

As for the process...basically I will lay down a quick kick snare pattern (in this last case I just started with kick on the 1 snare on the 3). Then I noodled around on the MicroBrute until I came up with a melodic riff I liked, played that into the onboard sequencer. Moved on to bass. Most of the synths, ultimately, get sequenced by Maschine--which is basically the brain of my setup.

I did like...shit...7 takes last night or something. This time I basically just looped 16 bars and used mutes/and volume knobs to improve the arrangement.

Ultimately when I come up with something I like I will record the tracks individually then arrange a studio mix in my DAW. Once I have that finalized I will mimic that arrangement, more or less exactly, in Maschine so I can do a live version.

I feel like most of these I have posted are pretty sloppy in a lot of regards, but right now I am feeling just jamming on my gear.

A final thought. I think part of the mix sounding good might be that there is hardly anything going on drums, bass and two synths (one of which is Massive in Maschine, ironically). My mixer does a fair job for its limited options of helping mixes fall together. I think its partially that there is no over thinking to do! I have a Low Shelf, High Shelf, and sweepable Mid filter for each channel. That's it. I also record the 2bus through my MOTU's preamps.

Not to be cheeky, but if you want to know more about my setup/what I do feel free to ask. I will blather all fucking day if you let me!

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 20-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #23
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
First off thanks much Skycore for listening : )

I wouldn't get all "hardware sounds better". Each of these tracks has been processed in my DAW before being uploaded. The last one had a Slate VTM (driven hard), 2-3 compressors shaving off peaks a little at a time, a Slate Mixbuss (driven hard) and some EQ work on the master, stereo track I recorded.

The kick in last one is from the Electribe R MKII, which is digital. Which if nothing else makes fun bleeps and blops along with killer kick drums. The decay is turned way up so there is a huge sound scape of bass that pretty much permeates the track. The bass is the Anode MeeBlip (digital OSC, analog filter) > OTO Biscuit (all digital) > Filter Factory (analog). Slam that into VTM and you have yourself a winner ;p I guess the point is digital/analog, software/hardware after using all of it all I can say is everything has its own flavor, I don't personally find any of it better. I just prefer doing it live on hardware.

Also, I have ~6 years of learning techniques on software behind this. Anything you learn on software pretty much translates to hardware except hardware is way more limiting and simple, which I like.

As for the process...basically I will lay down a quick kick snare pattern (in this last case I just started with kick on the 1 snare on the 3). Then I noodled around on the MicroBrute until I came up with a melodic riff I liked, played that into the onboard sequencer. Moved on to bass. Most of the synths, ultimately, get sequenced by Maschine--which is basically the brain of my setup.

I did like...shit...7 takes last night or something. This time I basically just looped 16 bars and used mutes/and volume knobs to improve the arrangement.

Ultimately when I come up with something I like I will record the tracks individually then arrange a studio mix in my DAW. Once I have that finalized I will mimic that arrangement, more or less exactly, in Maschine so I can do a live version.

I feel like most of these I have posted are pretty sloppy in a lot of regards, but right now I am feeling just jamming on my gear.

A final thought. I think part of the mix sounding good might be that there is hardly anything going on drums, bass and two synths (one of which is Massive in Maschine, ironically). My mixer does a fair job for its limited options of helping mixes fall together. I think its partially that there is no over thinking to do! I have a Low Shelf, High Shelf, and sweepable Mid filter for each channel. That's it. I also record the 2bus through my MOTU's preamps.

Not to be cheeky, but if you want to know more about my setup/what I do feel free to ask. I will blather all fucking day if you let me!
oh, about the last statement. i know. if i ever go into hardware, which i will, its a money/location thing i think right now for me, you and that other dude who does modular stuff from the UK?, are the first people i will ask, i promise. just for that reason... YOU'LL TELL ME EVERYTHING >: D fuck sweetwater!

anyway, i like that idea of accepted limitations. but this is far more intricate than me loading up ableton and going to work. you have chains going on, if there is a hiccup you gotta go find that problem. i just restart ableton, boring. so these don't seem sloppy to me, they're inspired. adding something like maschine or push maybe a cool option in the future, to extend my workflow, then eventually get amps/synths etc. i've always wondered about maschine/push. i'm very cautious, i don't want to add anything i won't use. i remember getting that advice and i took it so seriously lol. like if i buy something use it for 2 months then it vanishes for 6 months, waste.

Quote:
this is cool, i would do this if i had your stuff. it seems like a logic path for me. do parts, put them in, fix them up. then you have audio bits for live edits, like you do. i've always admired artists who do that. they have their album tracks but when they play live its just a live re-edit, different but the same. electronic mostly, Amon Tobin did that with his ISAM tour, alot of live-re-edits, can't really be found anywhere else but those shows. kinda makes the tracks like a rare artifact. so i'm assuming you have strictly arranged non-live versions? mimicing of arrangement could lead to way cooler sequences too, on the fly. i wonder how many times somebody has done something pre-recorded then got to that part and was like "fuck i should of added something else in there"

won't destroy your pages with anymore walls of text, but in general, very cool. you guys always make me want to get into hardware hardcore, hopefully sometime in the future.
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks
Old 26-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #24
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644418
Thanked 4,903 Times in 3,162 Posts

Really late to your party here buddy, sorry. Listened to the two newest uploads, and yeah I agree with skycore, that last track is huge man. It's my favorite of the three you have up there. Took me a bit to get into it actually but once it all got going, and I sat with it for a bit, I really liked it. Mix sounds really nice. Best thing about the track is the kick / bass and how sweet they sound.

When can we expect that video?

------------------
------
RFJ is offline   Thanks
Old 26-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #25
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

The road goes on forever and the party never ends, therefore one cannot be late to the party ;p

Thanks for the listen. I have to say for some reason I find mixes fall together on their own and in short order while working this way...

Cirumstances keep screwing my oppurtunities to pick up one of the cameras I am able to borrow. At the least I will try using my phone or tablet.

------------------
Thanks to relic
RFJ (26-05-2014)
Old 27-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #26
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 190660
Thanked 3,813 Times in 2,840 Posts

Love the third track, dude..nice dirty funky night-time city vibe from it..and I like that brass-ish sound you came up that runs throughout the track..really cool. Really nice work..liked it a lot..and I know all that might sound a bit glib, but it's true, trust me.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Thanks to A.M
relic (27-05-2014)
Old 27-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #27
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Love the third track, dude..nice dirty funky night-time city vibe from it..and I like that brass-ish sound you came up that runs throughout the track..really cool. Really nice work..liked it a lot..and I know all that might sound a bit glib, but it's true, trust me.
Thanks for the listen man. I am glad people are digging the music as I am getting at least 100% more enjoyment out of working this way. I believe the brass-y sounds in most of this series has been the MicroBrute...actually not a fan of it for bass, but for weird monoleads, yes...MicroBrute all day long...

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (27-05-2014)
Old 29-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #28
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269470758
Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,948 Posts

I can't decide which one's my favourite, I'm torn between 2 and 3.
I really like the upfront kick in all tracks, but it tends to feel a bit overwhelming at times

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Automageddon
relic (29-05-2014)
Old 29-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #29
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I can't decide which one's my favourite, I'm torn between 2 and 3.
I really like the upfront kick in all tracks, but it tends to feel a bit overwhelming at times
Agreed on the kick. At this point I am not sure I am going to go back and try and recreate the routing/patches. Thanks for the listens : ) Mixing got totally ignored.

Advertisements

------------------