How to make your own music videos
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 26-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Benwaa
Icon5 How to make your own music videos

ok so on seeing this thread http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=83779 and doing a quick search there was nothing that really covers this here and it's something i'd like to know more about. just how easy is it to make your own video to your tunes and what do you use? try and keep things simply explained if possible

thanks

Advertisements

Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
neutral
Savage Mad Cunt
neutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MC
Manchester
MC Status: 103011127
Re: How to make your own music videos

1) Get a bunch of old video clips.
2) Sequence them in Ableton
3) ????
4) Profit!!

Unless you want to use like like Final Cut pro and some decent cameras or whatever, but that shit's for gays.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
New years day 2000 my guitar became self-aware. It kills fascists with three chords and the truth.
neutral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
tooshyn
Learning The Ropes
tooshyn is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

in Sony Vegas 10 it's better to do.
You can always render wave file of Your music, and then put there a few photos and here You go
tooshyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

I personally use Adobe Premiere and Adobe After Effects. It's as simple as dragging/dropping stock footage, images, audio and capture what you filmed yourself. Editing and "mixing" is not much different than working with midi/audio in a linear (horizontal) DAW (well, of course there are differences but the theory stays the same).
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
astroidmist
Banned
astroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MC
3 floors above you
MC Status: 13248268

I am slowly collecting homemade camera footage of just simple stuff like me pressing keys and buttons or lighting a candle. I don't have much but I am trying to hype the colours. When I have enough clips I plan to make them synchronize to the BPM of my tunes which are almost all at 80 BPM or 96 BPM which fits neatly into segments of a few seconds long without remainders. (I did that intentionally). I have Sony Vegas Movie HD (9 i think). It's good but one major suckage is that it only allows a maximum of 2 video tracks. But it seems to have most of the other capabilities. I found a lot of YouTube tutorials on Sony Vegas so it's OK.
astroidmist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

Hd camera
video editor
time
patience
walk around filming things you want in the video (parkour, chess game, wiffleball match)
edit that shit
fx (uberswirl earthquake massive)
youtube gold

------------------
brumski
Numerical is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
Empty Reach
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648

Got this email from the guys that made mixed in key a while back...

It's called one idea but its only available for windows so far
Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #8
astroidmist
Banned
astroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MC
3 floors above you

^^ I couldn't figure out how to use Visual Jockey so I deleted it.
Old 29-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
Karmanistic
Knob Twiddler
Karmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MCKarmanistic is a savage MC
▌▌▌ ▌▌ ▌▌▌ ▌▌
MC Status: 617698

Whorld is free and very easy to use, also colorful and trippy!

http://whorld.org/

I will have to look into that visualjockey, hope I can figure it out lol

VirtualDub is also free and does tons of stuff like quickly adding audio, changing framerates and compressions, and adding all kinds of visual effects filters, and more

http://www.virtualdub.org/

Wax by Debugmode is much better for editing/transitions than wmm, and can do green screening too, and free! I love free!

http://www.debugmode.com/wax/

Anim8or is a free easy to use 3D modeling and animation program that I just love

http://www.anim8or.com/

And if you wanna play around with stop-motion animation, MonkeyJam is awesome! And, of course, freee!

http://www.giantscreamingrobotmonkeys.com/monkeyjam/

2d animation freewares? Check out these--

http://www.creatoon.com/

http://www.pencil-animation.org/

hmm, I cannot find a good link for eztoon, bummer, that was a cool one
Karmanistic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
raytrace
Savage Mad Cunt
raytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MC
Éire
MC Status: 2495010

Premiere is the easiest I ever used to match video to beats etc. - but im trying to force myself to use Blender's built in video editor for when I do eventually put up a video made up of a few rendered animations of my Raytrace (i.e. lots of translucent red plastic) imagery :p

I keep on forgetting about Ableton's built in video editor - is it proper easy to match to your beats etc. ?

cos tbh it's very hard with Blender due to buffers and stuff - you cant really do it in a WYSIWYG way in the timeline

------------------
...//:: The Horrorist - I Stand With You (Raytrace Remix) ::\\...
http://r4ytrace.tumblr.com|||||||||http://r4ytrace.tumblr.com/tagged/raytracemusic|||||||||www.soundcloud.com/raytrace
raytrace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
raytrace
Savage Mad Cunt
raytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MCraytrace is a savage MC
Éire

yeh I dunno if you can use the PCI express external connection thing reliably - tbh I dont think it will make a difference - I have a GTX260 (which is certainly enough to run blender3d) and an i7 @ 3.06Ghz and an ESI MAYA44e and I still get a kinda inaccuracy...

------------------
http://r4ytrace.tumblr.com|||||||||http://r4ytrace.tumblr.com/tagged/raytracemusic|||||||||www.soundcloud.com/raytrace
Old 29-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #12
raytrace
Savage Mad Cunt
Éire

yeah I think it's just very hard to get it to work in blender - I had to kinda work it out by working out frame per second and then my bpm and dividing that by 60 etc... - total pain in the bum

------------------
Old 29-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #13
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

well ive been thinking a lot about this recently too. ive got a cannon 500D SLR camera and randomly it does HD video so im sure that will be good enough and possibly make it look cool too.

I was thinking along the lines of having some unknown story (because you can do it for free)
as long as you have a good idea it should work out fine you just have to make sure you get enough shots from different viewpoints to make it look more professional once you've edited it.

for example one of my ideas (a bit shit i know) was me just riding round on a BMX trying to find something or doing something unexplained that becomes clear at the end.

all you have to do is get a mate to help you and just run around for a day getting baked/drinking taking fuck loads of 13 second shots of me riding past on a BMX looking like ive lost my marbles.

then get baked/pissed again and spend a day editing it

that was my plan anyway lol

EDIT:

it will be for the song in my sig, would that kind of video fit??

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
Kamael
apparently im obnoxious
Kamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MC
wai r mai skriinz blannk???
MC Status: 7997099

the vital thing to do is to make a screen plan, if you look at my video, its obvious there was no plan, just random dancing :/

pirate theme demanded a pirate boat, so if you are making a video for an industrial track, railroad tracks and factories will be the obvious backdrop.

so sit down, and write a screenplay of the video, imagine how it would look like, and prepare for the inevitable disappointment

what else... using too much effects in ur vid runs the risk of it looking... well like a set would look like if you use too much effects

the main technical issue is a good camera, i used a pretty decent sony handheld, and it looks like i recorded with a cyber shot, utter crap
while with a t1 rebel camera, it has the hd eye candy, even though its hd video has low framerate.

even with a crappy cam, with a good vision of what you want is more important, add some video distortion of a 8 mm and there ya go

also, a tripod will help ya out

hmmm... software used is vegas, editing took 3 days, i had 2 cameras runing at the same time
to sync your video and audio, its important to have the cameras record audio of it, so when you match the audio, you will match the video if you are using more cams or if the material requires beat sync

and thats about it, hope my rant was helpful

------------------
Kamael is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #15
Unique Beats
Unique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MC
Edinburgh
MC Status: 56114726

Quote:
the vital thing to do is to make a screen plan,
Yes and no - if you are just starting then try not to limit yourself, just shoot some random footage and play around with it in the editing and get to know the software and your camera. It's the same as music production you just have to find out for yourself and by doing it that way instead of forcing yourself to do what everyone else does allows you to create your own style. I personally lenjoy editing more than filming and therefore my filming style os rather loose - i film everything always leave the camera running - so i know i have lots of footage to play around with when i come to edit it. An example iof what I mean can be seen here in a vid i put together for a friend - this is less of a music video really as it's designed to be played whilst he plays live as visuals: http://vimeo.com/7626201

The key things you need for editing video, apart form the camera and something to film that is, is a decent graphics card (512Mb minimum and 1 Gig minimum for HD)and plenty of storage. From what i remember, raw DV footage runs at 13GB per hour of footage. you may not think you need an hour of footage for a music video but trust me you do...in fact you need a lot more than that...if you can leave the camera running as much as you can as you never know when you'll film something incredible and unscripted.

For me Sony Vegas Pro 10 is the winner - i learnt Adobe suite (premiere, After Effects) at Uni but since buying a Sony HD camera Vegas Pro is the winner - it's a lot easier for beginners to grasp than Adobe but has a lot of depth if you need to access some more advanced features but mainly i use it as it sincs with my camera at lot better than Premiere Pro.

However, in all honesty the majority of people can get away with using Sony Vegas (standard) or Adobe Premiere Elements which is the stripped down cheaper version as they are very good.

------------------
Smell my cheese you mother!
Unique Beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #16
Unique Beats
Unique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MCUnique Beats is a savage MC
Edinburgh
MC Status: 56114726

Just re-read the board and people said about graphics card. All I can say is that without a dedicated good graphics card then there isn't much point trying to get a high quality video made as you'll be suffering some serious rendering issues and lag. If you're trying to sync video to music then lag is your worst enemy! I wouldn't even consider doing a HD video.

I have seen some great video put together using cameras like the rebels which have HD mode - it's all down to your imagination really so don't get hung up on what camera you have. Although i would suggest getting a HDD camera as faffing around with converting DV tapes on to your harddrive is a bit of a pain as it transfers in realtime from what i remember meaning that if you've filmed 6 hours of video then it will take 6 hours for you to transfer the footage on to your computer.

A tripod is useful but don't rely on it for shots - a good trick is to mount your caamera on your tripod then pick it up and move it around whilst filming - the stress the extra weight and extra balancing you have to do puts on your arms makes you arm movements smaller (as it's more hard work) thus turning it in to a very basic Steadycam - alternatively you can create a very cheap steadycam system using a pole and some weights (google it).

Also what you'll find often is that your different clips may be coloured or lighted differently depending on where and when they are shot which may mean some inconsistency in our footage. one thing to get used to is White Balancing our camera before shooting so it understands what light levels are around it and adjust it's pallete more, but slight changes in colour and light can be corrected in post production but always thjink about the surrounding light when filming.

------------------
Smell my cheese you mother!
Unique Beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #17
Kamael
apparently im obnoxious
Kamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MC

again, it depends on what you are doing.

im not talking about drawing it up and sticking to it to the letter, some basic outline would have been helpful in my case

as for the rebel, its quality is more then enough for amateur use

i used a 4 year old dual core comp with a 50 euro graphic card, and although it gets dicey sometimes, its easily avoided by lowering the preview quality and misc options, at least in vegas it is

and yea, difference between clips was really annoying and thats what took the most time to balance out, and in the end i wasnt all that happy with the result either, but you live an you learn

will look into that diy steadycam systems, didnt think of picking up a tripod lol

------------------
Old 01-08-2011, 02:04 AM   #18
astroidmist
Banned
3 floors above you

Believe it or not, my PCI graphics card is only a ten dollar ATI Rage XL with DirectX 9.0c compatibility. So far I haven't had issues with it. I don't do any gaming or 3D stuff so I don't think it's a big problem.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #19
astroidmist
Banned
3 floors above you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndMOUSE View Post
thats the problem i had. My video graphics setup is very poor , but i dont wanna open up this laptop and attempt to fiddle with upgrading / inserting a graphics card. Is it possible to get an external graphics card in the same way you can get an external soundcard ??
It's really not so hard to install a PCI graphics card. I think most of the mainstream ones are automatically supported by the operating system. So you don't need to install drivers. But I could be wrong when it comes to super high-end graphics cards. Also, I stay away from the ones that use system RAM. And my BIOS settings are set to avoid sharing RAM with the cards too.

Watch enough tutorials about it and you'll be good to go. Just don't do it in the winter time when there's lots of static electricity and just to be safe, ground yourself too. And make sure you unplug the power before you do anything.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #20
Kamael
apparently im obnoxious

installin a pci graphic card in a laptop? what laptop is that?

Advertisements

------------------