settle a bet party people, two polls
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

View Poll Results: choose wisely
favor 20 60.61%
common courtesy 13 39.39%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-04-2014, 03:55 AM   #1
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684970
settle a bet party people, two polls

(i'm not sure if i know how to make a poll, lol noobs)

If you're at a food place, like a mcdonalds, and you have the option of buying one hamburger for yourself or two hamburgers, one for yourself and one for a roommate waiting at home, is buying the second hamburger a favor or a common courtesy? (we are also assuming the friend is repaying for the hamburger so it's not a question of money, and that the events leading up to the actual hamburger purchase are irrelevant; we're talking strictly the act of purchase in that context)

Last edited by Son of Akira; 24-04-2014 at 07:43 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 04:24 AM   #2
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
Re: settle a bet party people, two polls

second question, although i can't make another poll in a reply:

If you're at home and a friend/roommate is coming home, and stops at a a fast food place en route, should you expect them to call/text to see if you want anything?

sub-question 1) Is it unreasonable to ask the friend/roommate to do the above in the future, assuming they remember?

sub-question 2) Is this a thing, checking in with roommates/friends while you're out getting food/stuff from a fast food place/corner store, that happens regularly?

------------------
Old 24-04-2014, 04:26 AM   #3
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848

U mad bro?

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 04:30 AM   #4
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizar View Post
U mad bro?
it depends, can you guess which side i'm on?

short answer though, no, i'm not mad

i've gambled for a living for the better part of the last decade, and when i say "settle a bet" it's not a cutesy colloquialism, there is actually money riding on the outcome of this (and the poll in my other forum... the gambling/poker forum) which is why the phrasing is meticulous

possibly neither of us, me and the friend i'm betting with, were actually involved in this scenario, we're just speculating on what the average person thinks. we've had quite a few of these over the years

------------------
Old 24-04-2014, 04:33 AM   #5
Kneedless
Master of the LFO
Kneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond repute
Straya
MC Status: 3460

I'd say it would be common curtosy to ask your housemate if they want a hamburger if your at home and about to go get a hamburger.

If your already at a burger place and your on your way home and you call your housemate and as if they want a burger, I would say that's being an awesome housemate who is very thoughfull (that is going beyound the duty of a regular housemate in my opionion)

If you buy them a burger without asking and they say that they don't eat burgers as they're vegetarian, I would say you should probababaly get to know your housemate better before buying them burgers.

------------------
Kneedless is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kneedless
Nystagmus (24-04-2014)
Old 24-04-2014, 04:37 AM   #6
Kneedless
Master of the LFO
Kneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond repute
Straya
MC Status: 3460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
i've gambled for a living for the better part of the last decade
question in return) what game do you play? if it's online poker how long did it take you before you were making a decent enough winnnings to consider it enough to live off?

------------------
Kneedless is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 05:43 AM   #7
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

Unless they asked, probably not. I'm not made of money! But if they asked and said they'd pay me back, yeah sure I'd do it. I've actually had a roommate for years but luckily the dude was pretty responsible and got his own grub. I think this kind of thing happened maybe once in three years, and it weren't no big deal.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 06:37 AM   #8
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 108300
Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,390 Posts

I did vote, but also -

Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
(i'm not sure if i know how to make a poll, lol noobs)

If you're at a food place, like a mcdonalds, and you have the option of buying one hamburger for yourself or two hamburgers, one for yourself and one for a roommate waiting at home, is buying the second hamburger a favor or a common courtesy? (we are also assuming the friend is repaying for the hamburger so it's not a question of money)
A common courtesy is usually the type of behavior that keeps society well-lubricated - like saying thank you, not throwing your food around in a restaurant, not farting at the dinner table, not picking your nose before you shake someone's hand, washing your hands before a meal etc. Thing you should do without having to be asked to do them.

With favors...they're typically something you ask for:"Can you please do me a favor?" with the implication that you are in some sense in their debt, or have an obligation to return the favor should they ask it. I wouldn't buy someone a burger and say "hey - I did you a favor!", because I wouldn't want them to feel that they owe me something in return. The dictionary would probably say you can use the word favor in this context though.

Not really sure what the word would be. An act of kindness, generosity. The label would only be applied when viewing the situtaion like you are now - it'd be a bit uncool to walk in and make a point of your act by labeling it as you doing them a favor, being kind etc. Let them make of your act what they will.
Quote:
If you're at home and a friend/roommate is coming home, and stops at a a fast food place en route, should you expect them to call/text to see if you want anything?
If the two of you always sit down and eat a meal together (one that you'd prepared for the two of you) then it'd be a bit silly for them to get a meal without giving you the option and leaving you sitting there with nothing to eat. That aside - I don't see why there should be any such expectation. You're both free agents that happen to share a room & some laughs.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #10
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

MCDONALDS FRIES?

SO DANK

i wouldn't even buy that for jesus, let alone share some

also: are you in love with your roommate? cause like why would you both/or you get so butt hurt about asking for food thats literally air, cause no fast food is technically good or anything. o_o
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SKYCORE
Numerical (24-04-2014)
Old 24-04-2014, 07:15 AM   #11
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
MCDONALDS FRIES?

SO DANK

i wouldn't even buy that for jesus, let alone share some

also: are you in love with your roommate? cause like why would you both/or you get so butt hurt about asking for food thats literally air, cause no fast food is technically good or anything. o_o

SoA's internet forum theorem #1:

People simply don't ever actually read threads, even the original first post in a thread. Behaving accordingly under this assumption will make your internet travels far more simpler and streamlined.

p.s. but srsly, this is SRS BIZ for the fact that there are 3 figures of US dollars riding on the outcome, and i'm actually not allowed to say what side i'm on or whether any of the wagering parties were involved or whether were indirectly related or whether it's purely hypothetical

p.p.s. for example, a very similar bet we had a few years ago involved whether it was unseemly to take food home from a barbecue/pot luck/holiday festivity thing for friends and relatives that didn't attend. we both had strong feelings about this but the actual incident involved my friend's brother

p.p.p.s. even though i don't eat at mcdonald's, it is delicious and nutritious and i can debate this until the cows come home

Last edited by Son of Akira; 24-04-2014 at 07:25 AM..

------------------
Old 24-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #12
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist

Also, the second question and subquestions are really the meat of this thing. The poll question is more of a tangent. In hindsight I should've rearranged them.

------------------
Old 24-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #13
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903759
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts

I could be wrong but I don't think I'm capable of common courtesy...
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #14
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Also, the second question and subquestions are really the meat of this thing. The poll question is more of a tangent. In hindsight I should've rearranged them.
Quote:
No.
Quote:
sub-question 1) Is it unreasonable to ask the friend/roommate to do the above in the future, assuming they remember?
Yes.
Quote:
sub-question 2) Is this a thing, checking in with roommates/friends while you're out getting food/stuff from a fast food place/corner store, that happens regularly?
No. I've stayed with plenty people and never did it or was expected to do it. Usually we went and got food together in such a situation. We were good friends, but we were also independent people doing our own things and never felt the need to behave like we were in a silly relationship where we had to worry about shit like this.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #15
Exytage
Exytage is currently spamming hard
Estonia
MC Status: 14

Quote:
No
Quote:
Yes
Quote:
No, it has never happened.

I love gambling. Want to play Russian roulette? I start
Exytage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #16
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts

to me if you dont ask and your roommate picks up food for him and yourself: courtesy.
if you ask, then its a favor.

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to stem collector
Muse-ic (02-08-2014)
Old 24-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #17
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC
MC Status: 175276390
Thanked 2,703 Times in 1,924 Posts

Hi, Son of Akira. I've just bought myself a pet rhino and got you one too. That's $7000 please, and I won't accept cheque.

McDonald's is shitty anyway, but even if you went to a good burger place I'd say that's a little weird, especially expecting reimbursement. You could simply text or phone them to ask if they want something. Perhaps if you're looking after a child or someone who doesn't know the area it might make sense, but otherwise an adult can feed themselves usually, and it's easy to communicate these things without just buying everyone a burger unnecessarily.

It's not a favour or courtesy. Maybe you could buy them a burger the one time, but you bought it, don't make them pay you for shit you bought the without asking.
deadmau7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #18
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10377667

Surprising as it might seem, here in America we have only the option to buy one hamburger at a time. I don't know I though I was going somewhere with that, I wish I guess.

Anyway...

If you have sex with your mate is it courteous to give you roommate at the time a reach-around or another stimulative action?

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #19
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031591
Thanked 7,283 Times in 4,525 Posts

If you're an employed stoner and housemate is a buddy and also a stoner then this is just common courtesy.
However, the way they react to your kindness should inform future burger purchases for the individual.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #20
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

I don't feel very emotionally invested in you winning this bet. Try harder.

Advertisements

------------------
brumski
Numerical is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
deadmau7 (24-04-2014)