VR and the DAW
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 19-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
A Tree
Sample Destroyer
A Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2560
VR and the DAW

So, you've probably been following the coming of virtual reality head mounted displays and the excitement surrounding their use in gaming. Been trying to find out if anyone is working on VR environments for music creation and it looks pretty barren considering this is all supposed to hit markets next year (though oculus and others promised this year). In any event, soon.

This seems really exciting to me and since I know next to nothing about programming, was wondering how doable these environments would be.

I imagine pulling up any instrument you want, being able to place sounds in different positions in the 'room' to create distance/separation. From what I heard in one podcast on the subject of what can be done with VR, the developer replied 'yes', meaning the possibilities are only limited by a programmer's imagination.

Anyway, any info on the subject would be appreciated or just a general discussion about the possibilities you think will come as a result of this new way of interfacing with software.

Advertisements

------------------
----------------------------------------------------

the garden
A Tree is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts
Re: VR and the DAW

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
A Tree (19-08-2014)
Old 19-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
A Tree
Sample Destroyer
A Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond repute

Now imagine flying around in that environment whilst having a fleshlight hooked up to your winky.

------------------

the garden
Thanks to A Tree
Evelon (19-08-2014)
Old 20-08-2014, 12:25 AM   #4
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45944131
Thanked 5,719 Times in 3,600 Posts

I love the stuff I've seen from the Oculus Rift so far in gaming and simulations. Not sure I can picture it being used in an audio environment for anything other than entertainment, it's maybe a little too form over function for me as it appears now. Honestly I dont need another reason to be in fantasyland "playing" in a daw. Maybe that's a wrong assessment though and there are other more useful aspects to this I can't see.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 01:00 AM   #5
A Tree
Sample Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I love the stuff I've seen from the Oculus Rift so far in gaming and simulations. Not sure I can picture it being used in an audio environment for anything other than entertainment, it's maybe a little too form over function for me as it appears now. Honestly I dont need another reason to be in fantasyland "playing" in a daw. Maybe that's a wrong assessment though and there are other more useful aspects to this I can't see.
http://duncantrussell.com/survios/#/...iscussion_id=0

So, I love me some Duncan Trussell and while it's a pretty loose discussion on the topic, it sounds like it might become (pretty quickly) the go-to interface for software. In one part, (can't remember or I'd time stamp) the programmers are talking about (and I'm sure we can all relate) not having to sit in front of a screen at a desk, typing on a keyboard to do the work but to have the operating system/platform/what-have-you integrated into environments with which we can interact. It's all a bit over my head so maybe not right away but if the visual aspect could be that much less acute, creating anything in these environments would probably become preferable (assuming the functional level can be attained). I think you're right in that they'll be simple toys at first but how long before larger companies get in on it, I wonder?

I'd imagine you'd still have your stereo monitors to rely on the audio but the rest (with tactile gloves, etc.) could potentially be modeled in the environment, or maybe having your real world instruments mapped into the virtual environment so you don't have to take off the head set to find your keyboard (?)

I'm just rambling 'cuz I don't know what's possible, what the limitations are with running both a virtual environment and cpu heavy programs such as Ableton along side each other, or if it's worth it for companies to start thinking about these possibilities but I hope those that know are on it, because it would be awesome.

Advertisements

------------------

the garden
Thanks to A Tree
Numerical (20-08-2014)