Sticking Points
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 14-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
Birtan Tankir
Radial Developer
Birtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the rough
Melbourne
MC Status: 260
Sticking Points

We all have our fair share of struggles, if i struggle with anything its using rise ups/ build ups!
They are so hard to make, and its always hard to get a hard sounding one!

What are some of the things you find hard?

Advertisements

Birtan Tankir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59410
Thanked 1,188 Times in 790 Posts
Re: Sticking Points

One of my main problem areas is melodic and harmonic variation.
I find it hard to leave a space I have established and progress to something else...

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
Birtan Tankir
Radial Developer
Birtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the roughBirtan Tankir is a jewel in the rough
Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
I find it hard to leave a space I have established and progress to something else...
Damn thats what i cant do aswell!
Birtan Tankir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #4
TNORTS
Minor Glitch
TNORTS has a spectacular aura aboutTNORTS has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
this is the biggest issue I struggle with
TNORTS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 01:24 AM   #5
crackmontage
raptor badger
crackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MC
sminap MN
MC Status: 434781

my issue is with my process. i don't really have one. i'm not fully conscious of what i like about what i've made or what i want it to sound like.

------------------

crackmontage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 02:10 AM   #6
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

I find addiction hard.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
Cypherclerk (28-06-2014)
Old 28-06-2014, 12:22 AM   #7
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53740955
Thanked 2,387 Times in 1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I find addiction hard.
Yep.

And even though I have been making art and not music, I'm sure the problems are similar...

Often I get 90% done on a piece which I am satisfied with, but the remaining 10% (usually a small section) is always impossible to complete to the same standard and it bugs the hell out of me.

Sooo close to completion, but so far away.
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 05:46 AM   #8
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Sometimes I'll spend way too long creating the first patch of a song, and if I don't like it by the time I've fucked around for a good 20 minutes, I quit trying to create. Perfectionism is gr8
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 05:54 AM   #9
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

20 minutes is nothing, ive got projects with 34 versions to the name that went to garbage. But i dont really know what im doing and got way too much time on my hands. When i do know what im doing i tend to forget it within a couple of weeks and dont write anything down.

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 06:13 AM   #10
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Biggest sticking point I have is my fucking theology that says "oh you can't do that because that's cheating." it's such bull shit but I avoid doing certain things or using certain tools because I've got this silly notion that it's not "okay."

I mean come on man (self) just make the music already and fuck the bull shit.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 06:31 AM   #11
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Biggest sticking point I have is my fucking theology that says "oh you can't do that because that's cheating." it's such bull shit but I avoid doing certain things or using certain tools because I've got this silly notion that it's not "okay."

I mean come on man (self) just make the music already and fuck the bull shit.
I think youve already done that, no need to hold yourself down artificially.
Your IDMf release was mindblowing and not just because of the incredibly open-hearted back-story. Im not trying to make this thread about either of us but i just have to wonder if this is something that's genuinely bothering you these days.

I have a hard time getting up and gathering any kind of lust for life, everything seems bland unless i strike a chord/ patch made in heaven, and i get to run with that. I like games but its all a very mechanical en-devour.

Just try to make music YOU can enjoy and fuck the critics. The act of creation supersedes the act of writing bland words about it, forever.

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to twilitez
RFJ (28-06-2014)
Old 28-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #12
Tsachi
i don't understand
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 10210

My main issue is mixing ;_; I know exactly what I want things to sound like but it takes forever, and multiple test renders, to get a track "done". I still go back to things that are four years old to redo everything and fix problems that I didn't notice at the time due to less experience.
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 05:15 AM   #13
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilitez View Post
20 minutes is nothing, ive got projects with 34 versions to the name that went to garbage. But i dont really know what im doing and got way too much time on my hands. When i do know what im doing i tend to forget it within a couple of weeks and dont write anything down.
Same here. For me I call it all perfectionism, even though I might just not yet know how to do exactly what I want to do when it comes to music. #DeeperIssues
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 06:27 AM   #14
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

LYRICS

I feel like I've gotten reasonably good at musicality but I fucking suck at lyrics. I have this lovely microphone collecting dust. :c
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 06:38 AM   #15
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69360
Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,030 Posts

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
all over this thread

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #16
Strado
Regular Freak
Strado is a jewel in the roughStrado is a jewel in the roughStrado is a jewel in the rough

Being a perfectionist.. I need every little thing to be perfect, i tweak, tweak, tweak, tweak some more aand.. Great, fucked it up. Time to start over again.

Advertisements

Strado is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Strado
Kvlt O))) (29-06-2014)