Streamlining Tips/Tricks
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 31-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
redblackwhite
Radial Developer
redblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improveredblackwhite can only hope to improve
MC Status: -100230
Streamlining Tips/Tricks

So after thinking about how long I spend on a song (only to not finish it-which is ok, im still perfecting my 'style'/sound/approach) I did a little search. I found this thread: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
with great great great advice from Trace Elements ( good job man!)
I thought it would a good idea to make a thread about the little 'discoveries' you all have found to help you get your ideas out, or help push you towards finishing a song. Whether it be get those synth midi notes down, or structuring etc just general tricks you use to 'streamline' the process.

For example I took note of the effects and channel structure I was often using for creation and made a template (audio channels with built in effects + busing) to work off of instead of starting from scratch each time (and then using my own saved presets). Although this is probably is obvious to many of you, I did spend quite a while not using it on any of the DAW's I worked with so I assume there must be at least another person in the same boat.

So again, what do you guys like doing to make things quicker/easier? Normally I would never post such a thread, but there seems to be a lot of different approaches on here with great depth, maybe some of you can introduce techniques to each other that you never knew. Even just obvious things that work well for one daw may open doors for others on another daw.
Hopefully this is a good thread, and don't hesitate to share, because again obvious things can be over looked!

Advertisements

redblackwhite is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:29 AM   #2
Trace Elements
Soundscaper
Trace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MCTrace Elements is a savage MC
MC Status: 4716700
Re: Streamlining Tips/Tricks

cheers, glad my advice is helping someone. I've been toying around with writing a book on how to do home electronic music production, I think i could write a decent book, but I hear instructional books are a hard market to publish in.

Anyways

silence is golden, I found that sometimes what my tracks were missing is more silence than more noise. I like to copy a midi track, offset it a 1/16th or so, then connect it to mute the main track or effects on the main track. This can be done using a compressor, the mute function on a track or various other ways. I find some automated muting or hard kills can sound better than building the sound up.

In general copying a midi track then linking it to some parameter automation can get interesting results, from side chains to stutters, to changing delay length or reverb amount, or gain.
Trace Elements is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
astroidmist
Banned
astroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MC
3 floors above you
MC Status: 13248268
Re: Streamlining Tips/Tricks

Make some mix level adjustments while monitoring in mono. It can speed up perception of the actual levels and make mixing easier. Just be sure to return the monitors back to stereo before you finish.

Advertisements

astroidmist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote