akai mpk mini. Someone own/use it?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 26-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
[Complex]
Microknight
[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold
Spain
MC Status: 960
akai mpk mini. Someone own/use it?

I am planing to buy a akai mpk mini, its a good product?

I have chosen this because is very portable and seems to be of good quality
There are other good option?

Bye!

Advertisements

[Complex] is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Adharma
Analog Lurker
Adharma is just really niceAdharma is just really niceAdharma is just really niceAdharma is just really nice
Lawrence, KS
MC Status: 360
Re: akai mpk mini, somebody has tryed??

I just bought one for myself over christmas.

I've used it for about an hour or two, so far.

I'm using FL Studio primarily (I also have Ableton, but have not tried the Mini with it yet). So far, the dials are very smooth and easy to manipulate. Because the whole device is Midi-over-USB I can tie in each knob seemlessly to any effect that can be controlled by midi. this is an AWESOME feature.

The keys are REALLY skinny, so if you have fatter fingers it may be a little more difficult to use, but its been a lot of fun playing with them. The built in arpeggiator is also really handy, though I haven't been able to figure out how to change the patterns yet (need more time to tinker).

The pads..... oh the pads. First off, they are nice to have and they work seemingly well enough. You do have to really hit them though, which I'm not sure how I feel about that. They do have some (read:slight) velocity response, but this is a pretty widely known thing with Akai products. There is a DIY fix with some tape that you can do (from what I've read online), but I haven't felt that adventurous..... yet.

For under $100 (USD) its great. Its all USB powered, so no extra cables (but you may need a hub depending on how many other devices you have plugged in). I've noticed no latency either, which is great. I'd say, overall, its great for portability and for beginners (like myself). Its worth a look!
Adharma is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Phonem - Syntax
Old 27-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
[Complex]
Microknight
[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold
Spain
MC Status: 960

Thanks Adharma, I go to buy one akai mini...

Also I have seen other midi keyboard with the same things that Akai mini but the half price but I don't think that this will better...

One curiosity, the pads light up wen you hit them?

Bye!
[Complex] is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Adharma
Analog Lurker
Adharma is just really niceAdharma is just really niceAdharma is just really niceAdharma is just really nice
Lawrence, KS
MC Status: 360

Complex,

Yeah, when you tap the pads they do light up, but the keys don't. If you configure the MIDI-Out on them, they will also light up when the corresponding sound or event (whatever you have programmed to the pad) sounds, which is kind of neat. I think you will enjoy it!

Happy Programming!

------------------
Adharma is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
ldotsdot
Regular Freak
ldotsdot is currently spamming hard
San Antonio, TX
MC Status: 10

i just recently got one for use with fl and traktor and i really don't like how hard i have to hit the pads in fl but it works just fine with traktor...
ldotsdot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Izvra
Regular Freak
Izvra is currently spamming hard
Rotorua
Re: akai mpk mini. Someone own/use it?

The USB powered is fantastic, pads are good as to be expected from akai but the keys aren't the best. They take a bit of getting used to. Can't complain for the price.
Izvra is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
AceHealey
Learning The Ropes
AceHealey is currently spamming hard

It's awesome, especially if you want to do some production on the go. It is light enough and small enough to sit on your lap and be thrown in a bag. The pads are responsive and the keys are surprisingly nice.
AceHealey is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
Rdenman92
Analog Lurker
Rdenman92 will become famous soon enough
Boston
MC Status: 60

The Akai mini in my opinion is a great product. Yes the keys may be a little sub par but that goes along with how much money your spending. I think its a good investment if you do not own a midi keyboard.
Rdenman92 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Emperor Bear
Radial Developer
Emperor Bear is a jewel in the roughEmperor Bear is a jewel in the roughEmperor Bear is a jewel in the roughEmperor Bear is a jewel in the rough
Japan
MC Status: 310

I have one that I use on the bus/train/plane/car. It is ok. It helps me sketch out quick ideas on the go and has been pretty sturdy. The feel is overall kind of cheap though.

------------------
Emperor Bear is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
Boggin_Bruce
Learning The Ropes
Boggin_Bruce is currently spamming hard
Scotland

ive been using mine for a few months now and can honestly say it is a superb bit of kit for the price, was a real pain at first when trying to map it to ableton and get the knobs assigned but after watching a few videos and a bit of searching online i realised how much it could actually do!
now its possible to use ableton without hardly having to touch the mouse if i want, have the pads all working on kong drum machine when using reason which is great fun and a whole lot easier plus lots of other stuff.
loads of tutorials on youtube if you wanna see wot its all about m8, glad i did now
and when i comes to the pads being quite unresponsive, theres also a video showing you a easy way to fix that problem.
hope this helps you out
w.w.w.youtube.com/watch?v=9TS4FdBnLJQ
Boggin_Bruce is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Techno
Old 16-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
julsh
Learning The Ropes
julsh will become famous soon enough
Stuttgart

i can agree. i used it with fl studio and everything worked well for me.
but be careful when you transport it: the usbcontact at the keyboard isnt that stable. it broke off when i took it with me in my bagpack...
julsh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #12
ahriman22
Minor Glitch
ahriman22 has a spectacular aura aboutahriman22 has a spectacular aura about
Montreal
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by julsh View Post
i can agree. i used it with fl studio and everything worked well for me.
but be careful when you transport it: the usbcontact at the keyboard isnt that stable. it broke off when i took it with me in my bagpack...
I've gone through two MPK Minis because of that. I'm definitely not going to buy a third, instead I got an Oxygen 25. The MPK Mini is a great little thing despite it's habit of losing USB ports, but I can't recommend it.
ahriman22 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
Dhinojosa94
Sample Destroyer
Dhinojosa94 is just really niceDhinojosa94 is just really niceDhinojosa94 is just really niceDhinojosa94 is just really niceDhinojosa94 is just really nice
San Pedro Garza Garcia
MC Status: 410

alors on dans was written with one #uselessfact
Dhinojosa94 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
frenchboy
Analog Lurker
frenchboy has a spectacular aura aboutfrenchboy has a spectacular aura aboutfrenchboy has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I have one and I never ever use it. I always play the keyboard with my macbook keyboard and I just use the knobs with my mouse. Way quicker. If you were going to do live sets I would get something with a better lauchpad, no keyboard and some knobs.
frenchboy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
bkwsk
Radial Developer
bkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nice
SVQ (Spain)
MC Status: 410

I've got the MPK Mini and it's good stuff. Look for custom scripts / mappings if you're using Ableton, the possibilities are endless since you can turn the MPK Mini in a Blue Hand Controller. The pads are less responsive than they should be, but you'll get used to it. Completely worth the money imo.

------------------
If you want to check out some of my music:

bkwsk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 02:51 AM   #16
anstaendig
Learning The Ropes
anstaendig is currently spamming hard
Gummersbach

I bought it quite a long time ago but really started using it just some time ago and after finding a good mapping for Ableton I must say that it's a great controller for that price but it's nothing I'm sticking to for the long run especially because those pads suck IMO (might try out this tape trick someone posted above to kill time until the push controller finally hits the stores)
anstaendig is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #17
T-REn
Granular Poster
T-REn is currently spamming hard
Kuala Lumpur

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchboy View Post
I have one and I never ever use it. I always play the keyboard with my macbook keyboard and I just use the knobs with my mouse. Way quicker. If you were going to do live sets I would get something with a better lauchpad, no keyboard and some knobs.
I thought having a knobs for tweaking filters,reverb,delay and etc is more fun and more feeling to it compared with using mouse.

Although currently i'm using mouse bcoz i dont have any midi controller.
T-REn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
ldotsdot
Regular Freak
San Antonio, TX

i tried out that tape mod with two layers of tape and found it to be too sensitive so i'm gonna try it out with one layer and see how that works...
Old 21-01-2013, 12:47 AM   #19
ldotsdot
Regular Freak
San Antonio, TX

1 layer of tape under those pads ended up being the way to go for me man...i've been practicing my finger drumming all day...
Old 21-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #20
Cole
Minor Glitch
Cole will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Complex] View Post
I am planing to buy a akai mpk mini, its a good product?

I have chosen this because is very portable and seems to be of good quality
There are other good option?

Bye!
I don't own a mini but I have the lpk 25 (fits in the bag with the laptop), mpk 25 (carry under your arm), and mpk 49( get a gig bag). All offer different levels of portability and are all great imo. One thing they have that i cant find many other places is the note repeat function I remember from the MPC and I use it quite often.

Last edited by Cole; 21-01-2013 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: spelling

Advertisements

Cole is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote